I played junior in Ontario but I was contacted by a scout for flin flon in Ontario named Trevor, as well as Mike Reagan. I came out there and eventually made the wrong decision to come back home.
    Duh, sorry, didn't see your 2nd post. Hey, not everyone can do the away from home thing - it's a very different area up here, pretty remote.
    08-02-17 08:22 AM
    Wow, it's a small, strange world!
    Yes, I know Chris - he has billeted for a while, really a good guy.
    I didn't know Smitty off the ice, but my son would know him, he's one of the team chaplains.

Sad to hear that you didn't make the team, hopefully hockey has treated you well, and KEEP ROCKING THAT BLACKBERRY!
    Crazy small world for sure. I was rocking a Q10 then and got chirped for it hard haha. Nobody knows I'm secretly a tech guru on the side. Currently playing CIS and getting my education so all is well!
    08-02-17 08:30 AM
    Crazy small world for sure. I was rocking a Q10 then and got chirped for it hard haha. Nobody knows I'm secretly a tech guru on the side. Currently playing CIS and getting my education so all is well!
    I get chirped periodically - sometimes it's positive, too. People notice the PRIV because of the slide-up.

Good to hear that things are going well - two things that struck me from my time billeting were the quality of person that I was seeing in the players and how hard on people the hockey was. I know of a couple of guys who had to quit after concussions.
    08-02-17 08:43 AM
    Z30 hands down was the fastest and most accurate for me. No comparison to any other phone. I could almost type with my eyes closed on that one.
    08-02-17 09:59 AM
    Z30 hands down was the fastest and most accurate for me. No comparison to any other phone. I could almost type with my eyes closed on that one.
    Almost...
    08-02-17 10:03 AM
    Almost...
    Can't do that on my Priv . . .
    08-02-17 10:05 AM
    Damn, that's pretty good!
    08-02-17 12:02 PM
    No - Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL). That's Junior "A", one step below the OHL.
    Still pretty entertaining hockey - these guys are mostly gunning for scholarships - our team (Flin Flon Bombers) currently have 5 players from the last 2 years going to NCAA Division 1 schools on scholarships, as well as a 6th player going to a NCAA Div 3 school.

We actually have a player from last year, who is on a Div 1 scholarship currently, who got invited to a Calgary Flames camp this summer.
    Smith Attends Flames Development Camp
    Sorry to derail:

Cool! A young kid who played on my fastball team this year is playing for the Bombers this year, Drew xxxx. A good high-school friend of mine played there in the 90's. Apparently, ESPN is doing a documentary on the Bombers this year for their 30/30 series. Supposedly the producer (who didn't know a tonne about hockey) came across the term Flin Flon Flu (which goes back to the Bobby Clarke days) and was hooked.
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 08-02-17 at 12:35 PM.
    08-02-17 12:09 PM
    Sorry to derail:

Cool! A young kid who played on my fastball team this year is playing for the Bombers this year, Drew xxxx. A good high-school friend of mine played there in the 90's. Apparently, ESPN is doing a documentary on the Bombers this year for their 30/30 series. Supposedly the producer (who didn't know a tonne about hockey) came across the term Flin Flon Flu (which goes back to the Bobby Clarke days) and was hooked.
    Neat!

It's a strange world. Case in point - when Bobby Clarke was playing, this was a WHL franchise. My Father-in-law refereed here in Flin Flon when Bobby was playing. The Father-in-law stated that Clarke did something in the face-off circle that he didn't like, and that was the LAST face-off that Clarke won that game!

The Bombers have a notoriety / fame that is entirely out of proportion to the size of the town. I remember reading a book written by Dave Schultz (the guy who was the enforcer when Clarke was playing for Philly). He played against Clarke in junior and they hated coming to Flin Flon. He said it was a 12 hour trip in the back of an unheated van. Then, when it got to the game, the team could beat you on the scoreboard, but they preferred to physically beat you!
    08-02-17 01:09 PM
    Can't do that on my Priv . . .
    I can on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Classic, Bold 9900, and Bold 9000. Wasn't able to on the Q10.
    08-02-17 03:00 PM
    Subjective.

I love typing on glass, it's smooth and consistent.
    My typing speed and accuracy on PKB vs. VKB is around the same, I often make errors on both, but I like VKB way more.
    08-02-17 03:37 PM
    Yes, glass keyboards are getting better than in the old days.

Software + better glass + increased habits are making them strong, if not stronger than physical keyboard.
    08-02-17 04:43 PM
    Same speed. On screen, less thumb strain but more eye strain. On pkb, more thumb strain but less eye strain.
    08-02-17 05:03 PM
    The real difference is whether you know how to type or not. I mean really know where each key is, by memory. Once you have that skill, the speed goes along with it...and the keyboard medium chosen becomes a simple matter of preference.
    08-02-17 05:04 PM
    I'm fast, but touch screen is faster for me. Z10 and 30 were awesome. But the tactile feedback and accuracy are 'key' for me. Plus the shortcuts.
    08-02-17 05:22 PM
    I think the speed difference is aided by the swiping keyboards. Definitely faster for me using Gboard but accuracy takes a hit so net should be same amount of time to type a lot of text but for short messages then swipe wins.
    08-02-17 08:43 PM
    I personally type faster on a virtual keyboard. That being said I make many less errors on a physical keyboard and enjoy using a physical keyboard more than virtual. Except typing while lying in bed which I'm having a very difficult time doing as I type this rather slowly ...
    08-02-17 09:01 PM
    The PKB is evidently better. Why ? If the touchscreen were better , ther would be many laptops with two screens, 1 for keyboard (touch) and one for viewing. The technology for this already exist of course. The touchscreen doesnt allow you to lay down your hands over the keyboard , using the tip of your fingers just to reach the right key. The main difference is not the speed. With the PKB you can hold you phone with your hands and thumbs and swipe them to reach the keys. On the touchscreen you only support the back of your phone (not so firmly) while your thumbs stay "on the air" to reach the keys, its so unconfortable as it would be if you have a laptop with a touch screen keyboard, i mean : yes, you can do it, but not for so long time or long texting . Why there are so few new devices with PKB ? its an aesthetic/market question . The PKB gives a sensation of an old fashion device.
    08-03-17 03:52 PM
    Even though I'm still a PKB guy I do have to say kudos to BB for going with a wider screen.
    I can use the screen keyboard half decently on my PRIV.

When my wife had an iPhone (4 inch screen, I believe) the keyboard was so squished that typing was near hopeless.
    08-03-17 04:03 PM
    Theoretically no, practically yes.

With the Classic I was faster with the PKB, but I slowed down significantly when android apps and even the hub started lagging.

I absolutely type faster on touch screen compared to Priv PKB.

On Passport it was almost even between the 2.

I'm pretty sure that overall I type faster on a touchscreen vs mobile pkb, but I hoped to use a proper PKB for the feeling, not for the speed.
    08-03-17 04:05 PM
45 12