My phone has suffered 2 major injuries in its life- both to the screen.
    Last year, I dropped my phone at one point and cracked the screen (which of course went dark). I was able to order a replacement screen and install it pretty much without issue. There was *one* day, months later, when the phone screen spontaneously went dim and stayed that way for hours...but then it just returned to normal again.

Last week, unfortunately dropped my phone again. The screen did not crack or show external damage (now that I think of it), but it's dark. Touchscreen, middle row of buttons, etc, all work fine.

So I ordered a replacement screen and installed it on Monday... and nothing. Still dark, no screen. I even *replaced the replacement* and tried installing this third screen today-- still nothing. So it's gotta be me or the phone...

I'm not an expert by any means, of course, but I actually did get familiar with the process from fixing the screen last time... I had to troubleshoot a little with that one in the beginning, too, so I ended up learning all about scrutinizing for tiny little bent pins, etc etc...

Any ideas what I am missing here??? Is there some part that's involved (which could be potentially damaged) that's not part of the physical screen itself?

Gah. This is driving me crazy by now...
    08-04-21 09:41 PM
    My phone has suffered 2 major injuries in its life- both to the screen.
    Last year, I dropped my phone at one point and cracked the screen (which of course went dark). I was able to order a replacement screen and install it pretty much without issue. There was *one* day, months later, when the phone screen spontaneously went dim and stayed that way for hours...but then it just returned to normal again.

Last week, unfortunately dropped my phone again. The screen did not crack or show external damage (now that I think of it), but it's dark. Touchscreen, middle row of buttons, etc, all work fine.

So I ordered a replacement screen and installed it on Monday... and nothing. Still dark, no screen. I even *replaced the replacement* and tried installing this third screen today-- still nothing. So it's gotta be me or the phone...

I'm not an expert by any means, of course, but I actually did get familiar with the process from fixing the screen last time... I had to troubleshoot a little with that one in the beginning, too, so I ended up learning all about scrutinizing for tiny little bent pins, etc etc...

Any ideas what I am missing here??? Is there some part that's involved (which could be potentially damaged) that's not part of the physical screen itself?

Gah. This is driving me crazy by now...
    Are you sure you're getting a solid connection with the screen to the board? It sounds like from your other post that something might have been loose and it kinda fixed itself? Yes, there's not much to it, so I'd just check to make sure it's level.

No chance you've accidentally tore the ribbon cable?
    08-05-21 01:47 AM
    There was a tiny tear to the original ribbon cable, which is what I was trying to replace...
    Everything seems to be totally intact on replacement screen(s).
    08-05-21 01:50 AM
    Okay... shining a flashlight around the screen, you can now at least *barely* see the screen info/text/etc. Just still very, very dark.

What am I still missing here............?
    08-05-21 02:34 AM
    Okay... shining a flashlight around the screen, you can now at least *barely* see the screen info/text/etc. Just still very, very dark.

What am I still missing here............?
    Backlight is gone or going.
    08-05-21 09:55 AM
    Fixable thing?
    08-05-21 09:57 AM
    Fixable thing?
    Hardly. From what happened before when the screen went dark for a bit, it sounds like an internal component was getting weaker and now after the last drop it may have lost connection completely with wherever it needs to connect. I say time to stop pouring time and money into this device and look for another. Could always sell for a parts device, if you don't want to keep it that is.
    08-05-21 09:22 PM
    The backlight is in the screen itself - that's not the problem. The problem is the POWER for the backlight, and that comes from the motherboard and through the ribbon cable. Either the cable isn't being seated properly (unlikely since you've re-done it several times, but perhaps possible) or the motherboard has been damaged or a component on it has died. Short of microscopic board repair that's likely to cost at least several hundred dollars, you can probably write off the phone entirely. The only source of motherboards is another whole phone.
    08-06-21 02:53 AM
    Just wanted to check - after you remove the old screen and clip in the new one, make sure you reset the battery. Unscrew the two little screws holding the battery connector in place. Pop it off, pop it back on, and then put two screws in. If you're looking at your battery with the back of your phone removed, it's right above the ACK of BLACKBERRY. You'll see a flat copper bit connecting the battery to the connector.
    08-07-21 02:10 AM