Thanks for the great post slagman5.

I know nothing about android, never having used one. Do you know if it's possible to assign a keyboard key as a play/pause button while listening to music?

I have been thinking that my next will be an iphone but I really like the look of the K1.

Thanks, John.

Posted via CB10
    The assigning of keyboard key shortcuts would be something within the BB-Android skin, not Android itself. But there are apps to where you can assign the volume keys to do that. One is Frinky Music Controller.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    02-28-17 11:14 AM
    From what I've read about the DTEK60, the screen tends to scratch easily. Is it made out of the same glass or is it gorilla glass? I know BlackBerry always says it's gorilla glass and it always ends up not being that, haha.
    The PRIV and the KEYone both have Gorilla Glass 4. They, to my knowledge, are the only BlackBerry devices to ever use GG.

That's why some people don't understand what the word "Premium" means. It's not a one item/spec definition.
    02-28-17 11:28 AM
    The assigning of keyboard key shortcuts would be something within the BB-Android skin, not Android itself. But there are apps to where you can assign the volume keys to do that. One is Frinky Music Controller.

Thanks for the reply. I had read that about Frinky. The K1 only has a volume up/down so there's no pause button there. I think I read about how every keyboard key was customizable. What I was wondering was, can the "p" key be made to pause music?

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 11:34 AM
    Many thanks for your really informative post, slagman5.

I've only a question, after having read some mixed reviews and comments on the keyboard
    (somewhere they've been described as rubbery and squishy):

how the K1 kb compares, in responsiveness and clickiness, to the Classic kb?

I have a blue Classic, and I find his kb perfect.
    It must be said that I've also tried the kbs of other Classics, and Passports too, and, despite all the reported differences between eg a Classic blue vs black, white, and between Classics and Passports, I find the reponsiveness/clickiness of all of them equally perfect.

Too bad the K1 will come only in April; I'm really tired of having always 2 smartphones around
    (the Classic and another cheap Android for the few apps impossible to run/update on the bb).

Thanks!
    02-28-17 11:34 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I had read that about Frinky. The K1 only has a volume up/down so there's no pause button there. I think I read about how every keyboard key was customizable. What I was wondering was, can the "p" key be made to pause music?

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know, a Priv owner might have the answer to that actually.

02-28-17 11:41 AM
    The convenience key doubles as the mute key during calls (mr. Mobile I believe). Thanks for confirming the stereo speakers. Rocking the Classic after Z30 and Passport was a bit of disappointment in term of speakers.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 12:07 PM
    Slag, bottom line: would YOU buy it?
    02-28-17 12:26 PM
    oh he's all in
    02-28-17 12:47 PM
    Yep, going to save up for this one.

anon(9353145) likes this.
    02-28-17 02:16 PM
    1) how many memory left after the OS and standard software pack? (the on board memory)?
    2) low light photograph? how is the color, contrast and image quality at low light? (the edge of object sharpness)
    3) does it come with a good case? since it is odd shape, I assume you can not buy any case... any case that got BB logo? leather?
    4) many many thx for the informative post.
    02-28-17 03:08 PM
    1) how many memory left after the OS and standard software pack? (the on board memory)?
    2) low light photograph? how is the color, contrast and image quality at low light? (the edge of object sharpness)
    3) does it come with a good case? since it is odd shape, I assume you can not buy any case... any case that got BB logo? leather?
    4) many many thx for the informative post.
    I can't answer any of those except maybe number 2. I didn't check the memory details when I had it in hand and now I obviously no longer have access to it. But Kevin took a low-light photo of outside the hotel one night and it looked really good. The colors were nice and the image was in focus. I don't know if it'll come with a case, but the shape will not prevent 3rd parties from making cases for the device.

stlabrat likes this.
    02-28-17 04:09 PM
    Thanks Slagman.
    You're definitely representing the Crackberry community well from your trip to Barca.

One question I had is in a few of the videos, I noticed uneven back-lighting on the keyboard. One reviewer even mentioned it in his review.

Did you see this as a common problem with some of the units?
    If so, I hope these are indeed pre-production and they will be able to fix these.
    02-28-17 04:14 PM
    I believe a reviewer touched upon this, either mr. Mobile or Pocket Now, don't quite remember. But it was said to be due to pre-production.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 04:24 PM
    Thank you for your post slagman5. This is the fist hand on review of K1 in our forum. Keep going with your good job.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 04:28 PM
    Thanks Slagman.
    You're definitely representing the Crackberry community well from your trip to Barca.

One question I had is in a few of the videos, I noticed uneven back-lighting on the keyboard. One reviewer even mentioned it in his review.

If so, I hope these are indeed pre-production and they will be able to fix these.
    Mr. Mobile stated in his review, that the phones were pre production devices, and hence the uneven backlighting.
    02-28-17 04:28 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Thanks OP! Looking forward to getting One!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 04:32 PM
    was going to buy another el cheapo Chinese phone (currently using a Xiaomi after abandoning my overheating Passport] but after reading your mini review, I guess I'll have to save some money to get this KeyOne next ! But wtf if reports are correct , only available from cellphone carriers in Canada come April. I'll rather get it from BlackBerry retail.
    Oh, this phone reminds me so much of that classic BB10 concept phone back in the day
    02-28-17 04:32 PM
    Thanks Slagman.

They said there will be one more hardware revision before it's final and the backlight problem is the main issue. There were some without it, but a lot with it. They said the final hardware will not have that issue.

02-28-17 04:38 PM
    was going to buy another el cheapo Chinese phone (currently using a Xiaomi after abandoning my overheating Passport] but after reading your mini review, I guess I'll have to save some money to get this KeyOne next ! But wtf if reports are correct , only available from cellphone carriers in Canada come April. I'll rather get it from BlackBerry retail.
    Oh, this phone reminds me so much of that classic BB10 concept phone back in the day
    I thought I read it would be available direct as well as through carriers in Canada, let's hope anyways.
    02-28-17 04:43 PM
    I'm sure future updates will smooth out that bit of lag.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-28-17 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the thread! I'm in Day One.

Any 'scuttlebutt' from Alex Thurber et al about building out their software portfolio? I'm interested in knowing if they plan to port over some of the nice usability features from BB10 to Android. EG. A bottom oriented navigation paradigm that allows for fast navigation one handed (like the browser). Also PKB shortcut support being further developed where you can navigate like a champ using the keyboard (again, browser). Hopefully Pointer Mode becomes a default part of the package.

Hope you had fun, thanks again for sharing.
    zensen likes this.
    02-28-17 07:59 PM
    Excellent post! Thanks for the insight!
    02-28-17 08:23 PM
    Any chance to have swipe-to-right hub and to be able to answer from the hub itself in nougat? Thanks

BlackBerry passport
    02-28-17 08:35 PM
    Any chance to have swipe-to-right hub and to be able to answer from the hub itself in nougat? Thanks

BlackBerry passport
    No, swiping right to hub is not going to be in the OS when it's released. Not going to say outright it never will be, but don't think it's being developed because it's not really how the Android home screen generally works. However, I heard you can make the hub into a full screen widget and just put it on the very left page and it'll kind of be like it, lol.
    02-28-17 09:06 PM
    Where is that photo you mentioned comparing it to the Classic?

Would love to see!

#whatisclassic
    02-28-17 09:55 PM
208 12345 ...