Hi Everyone. Just wondering if the Keyone will have Tmobile WiFi Calling enabled or do we have to wait for an official OS update from Tmoblie to get this. This is assuming they even carry the device or care about their BlackBerry users base. I hope so, or no Keyone for me unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 08:21 PM
    Hi Everyone. Just wondering if the Keyone will have Tmobile WiFi Calling enabled or do we have to wait for an official OS update from Tmoblie to get this. This is assuming they even carry the device or care about their BlackBerry users base. I hope so, or no Keyone for me unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    Don't hold your breath. We may only get unlocked phones to work in the US.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 08:25 PM
    If, and this is a Big IF, T-mobile carries the KEYone, then yes you will have Wifi calling.
    03-19-17 08:42 PM
    It's long been T-Mo policy that WiFi calling is only available on devices that T-Mo sells directly, so it really depends on whether or not they choose to carry the K1 or not.
    bakron1 likes this.
    03-19-17 09:08 PM
    It's long been T-Mo policy that WiFi calling is only available on devices that T-Mo sells directly, so it really depends on whether or not they choose to carry the K1 or not.
    Uh....... :-)

(Yes, that's a DTEK60, and no, T-Mobile doesn't sell it)
    Attached Thumbnails Tmobile WiFi Calling?-2017-03-20-13.19.36.jpg  
    03-20-17 08:21 AM
    My unlocked non-carrier Priv has T-Mobile wifi calling but that may be because T-Mobile did sell the Priv. But the Google Nexus 6p and Nexus 5x also had T-Mobile wifi calling and T-Mobile did not carry those phones.

But for 99% of unlocked phones you can't get T-Mobile wifi calling or VoLTE. Let's hope the Keyone is different since it does work on unlocked Priv and apparently the DTEK60 posted above...which is definitely a good sign for the KeyOne.
    03-20-17 11:10 AM
    WiFi calling is at its essence an IPSEC connection back to T-Mobile's infrastructure. I do not know where they get the keying from (I assume it's SIM-derived), but it's quite-obvious what's being done if you packet-trace the phone from your infrastructure when it sets up the connection.

As long as there are not keying components in the firmware itself (as opposed to in the SIM) refusal to connect would be a matter of examining the IMEI or similar and refusing to connect as opposed to technical incompatibility.
    03-20-17 12:15 PM
    No.

When Priv released 16 months ago straight from BB unlocked, it became a full T-Mobile unit once the SIM was installed--including wifi calling and visual voicemail.
    03-20-17 07:50 PM
    I've always thought T-Mo's WiFi calling was available to all devices capable of using it; glad I was right. Now, AT&T on the other hand...
    03-20-17 08:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I got my unlocked Priv before T-Mobile got the Priv and I have wi-fi with T-Mobile, if that means anything. Since it is a new day with TCL making the BlackBerry phones, things could be different. This I know: T-Mobile does carry Alcatel products (made by TCL). This means they do business with TCL which bodes well as far TCL's ongoing relationship with T-Mobile when it comes to their new BlackBerry products. Let's hope.
    03-20-17 08:08 PM
    Thx everyone for jumping in here with your replies. It has given me some hope for the Keyone as I need WiFi calling abilities on a daily bases. Let's hope the Keyone has it. I'll wait till a few people confirm this once released. Thx again.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 08:50 PM
    No.

When Priv released 16 months ago straight from BB unlocked, it became a full T-Mobile unit once the SIM was installed--including wifi calling and visual voicemail.
    That's because T-Mo carried the Priv (albeit for a very short time), and so they created the WFC software for the Priv. If T-Mo had never picked up the Priv, you'd never have WFC on it.
    03-20-17 09:11 PM
    Hopefully Wifi Calling on Android is better than on BB10. It's practically useless on my Classic.
    Sean Flaherty likes this.
    03-20-17 09:14 PM
    That's because T-Mo carried the Priv (albeit for a very short time), and so they created the WFC software for the Priv. If T-Mo had never picked up the Priv, you'd never have WFC on it.
    No.

I'm talking at launch, before T-Mobile carried the phone. The unlocked version, not the T-Mobile version.

At the point it launched, there was never any guarantee that T-Mobile would brand the phone for its stores.
    03-20-17 09:16 PM
    Hopefully Wifi Calling on Android is better than on BB10. It's practically useless on my Classic.
    I can't imagine how the OS makes a bit of a difference.

It could be you have a defective device.
    03-20-17 09:17 PM
    I can't imagine how the OS makes a bit of a difference.
    Different OS means a different app with different code and very likely different team writing/maintaining it.

It's actually fine for calls once it actually connects. It's that connecting part that fails so, so often. And don't bother leaving it on--once you leave one wifi network's range and enter another one, it'll break again and you'll have to switch it to cellular only and back again. Multiple times. And then you just give up, because sometimes no matter what you do, it can't be coaxed into being "ready for calls."
    03-20-17 09:25 PM
    Nope, you are wrong here... the DTEK60 was never carried by T-Mobile and I do have wifi calling...

03-20-17 10:55 PM
    Different OS means a different app with different code and very likely different team writing/maintaining it.

It's actually fine for calls once it actually connects. It's that connecting part that fails so, so often. And don't bother leaving it on--once you leave one wifi network's range and enter another one, it'll break again and you'll have to switch it to cellular only and back again. Multiple times. And then you just give up, because sometimes no matter what you do, it can't be coaxed into being "ready for calls."
    WiFi calling was never any good on my Passport or Z10; it was "there" (technically) but it sucked big fat ones, badly.

On the DTEK60 and Priv it works flawlessly. Well, until the phone gets low on RAM anyway, at which point it gets nasty again, but a reboot fixes that.
    03-21-17 07:22 AM
    WFC constantly dropped calls with my Q10 (a phone officially sold by T-Mo, with the T-Mo logo on the chin.) I switched out T-Mo's official WFC WiFi router for their "Personal CellSpot" device, and it's been great.

I work at home and live in a low signal area. I don't find a need to use WFC when I'm out-and-about, but I can see its usefulness.

So I'm good if the KEYOne doesn't have WFC. I also have a Google Voice number, so I think I can use Hangouts over WiFi to give something like a WCF experience.
    03-21-17 07:43 AM