So there was lots of hope that BlackBerry would keep their guns blazing and announce their second Android device since the BB-Priv; which is the BlackBerry Vienna. Sadly, we got nothing. Personally, a disappointment. While the Priv had piqued my interest for sometime as BlackBerry's first Android device, the lure was always put off by the slider form factor which was never to my liking.

But once the leaks came out for the Vienna, right after the Priv announcement/launch, I always knew that if I went Android, it would definitely be with the Vienna. So what the hell, why no Vienna news a MWC? I think it's fairly simple. BlackBerry is still trying to fan the flames of the PRIV and bolster sales. They haven't come running to the press or anything to report their sales so we can only assume they've been average at best. Rightly so, BlackBerry is building their brand again it will take time. For goodness sakes, they haven't even launched on Verizon yet. Since Verizon pretty much is in bed with Android, there's no doubt there will be some good marketing for the PRIV once it launches but too much time has passed and even more to come. The PRIV isn't launching on Verizon until "end of March" which is pretty much sometime in April.

How this relates to the Vienna is that they will not want to be trying to promote both devices at once so Vienna will definitely be on the back burner until the PRIV is "fully cooked", if you get what I mean.

Sadly... the waiting game continutes...
    Luke Beauchamp likes this.
    02-26-16 09:13 AM
    Your opinion is exact the same as mine.
    I've been waiting the whole week, 24/7, of the vienna-announcement. I extremly hope, the vienna isn’t dead at all. I would buy this device immediately.
    02-26-16 09:38 AM
    Start thinking of a new phone to get. Because I think they are getting out of the hardware business.
    Plazmic Flame and VaRuLV like this.
    02-26-16 09:45 AM
    BlackBerry is almost non existent in the USA market without a Verizon PRIV. Will Verizon make a difference?

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    02-26-16 09:45 AM
    Exactly been waiting on the Vienna to check out specs and decide on my next phone (no interest in priv) with BlackBerry dragging their heels on no new releases it certainly is making it hard to decide.It's about time Chen ****s or gets off the pot.
    02-26-16 09:58 AM
    Maybe time to close this forum down as CB has no knowledge that the Vienna render exists as a real life prototype ... or do they?
    02-26-16 02:29 PM
    I think so. It's time to close this forum.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 02:58 PM
    Well until CB closes down the forum the Vienna is very much ALIVE! I saw a rumor just started now pointing to a June launch. Don't ask where I saw this, it could be the bad drugs kicking in again.

From my Tower of Power Q5
    02-26-16 03:42 PM
    I know a guy who has a cousin dating this girl whose Dad is a VZW customer and he says that almost probably for sure that VZW is going to offer the Priv soon. After that comes the Vienna, probably.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 03:56 PM
    I know a guy who has a cousin dating this girl whose Dad is a VZW customer and he says that almost probably for sure that VZW is going to offer the Priv soon. After that comes the Vienna, probably.

Posted via CB10
    Probably? Or for sure probably?

02-26-16 07:32 PM
    Well until CB closes down the forum the Vienna is very much ALIVE! I saw a rumor just started now pointing to a June launch. Don't ask where I saw this, it could be the bad drugs kicking in again.

There is no way this is true. I'm sorry.
    02-27-16 02:33 PM
    A few thoughts:

-Some tech sites reported that it was rumored BlackBerry may announce the Vienna at MWC. The rest did not mention BlackBerry at all, including the bigger sites.

-This whole Vienna thing; it all started when Bla1ze was contacted by someone "who he knows is legit" who slipped the renders. According to the story that was literally on the front page, this leaker swears the "Vienna" is a real project. Based solely on this one time incident, that we know of, the Vienna not only got its own sub-forum here on CrackBerry but also one on Android Central as well.

-Two or so months ago Chen admitted to Bloomberg that there is another Android device and that it may be announced around MWC. In the same breath he continued that its release is dependent on sales of the Priv. I suppose next week is still near MWC, so that is a possibility. Doesn't matter, though. The key point here is that the announcement/release of the Vienna is not going to happen until sales of the Priv reach a particular number. That may be next week. Or next month. Or later in the year. My money is on a July release.

On the day of the Q3/16 earning call, when discussing pricing strategy for the Priv, Chen told Bloomberg, I believe, that a drop in price will coincide with the release of another device. He did not say another Android device, or even another BlackBerry device as he could have been talking about the other flagships being set to be released from other OEMs, but the author of that article speculated Chen meant the Vienna. Considering that the Priv has still yet to drop on Verizon, and Sprint for that matter, and that there are still a few other rollouts left around the world, there is no way the price of the Priv will drop soon.
    02-27-16 10:58 PM
    I'm hoping that we get more info on this during BlackBerry's next earnings call in March.

02-28-16 06:38 AM
    My impression of the Vienna has been that is a low-to-mid-range device with a target audience closer to the Z3 Leap, than to any other "recent" BlackBerry product.

I could see them keep it primarily something they offer as fleet deployment devices to BES customers, with no public marketing, and availability on shopblackberry almost as an afterthought.
    Last edited by jojon2se; 02-29-16 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Wrong model name
    02-28-16 08:16 AM
    Don't worry guys, the Vienna project is very much alive. Blackberry is just short on resources right now so development is slower.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-28-16 08:28 AM
    Well when you consider there is no marketing of any product on a retail level, there will be no interest.
    In fact on Bill Maher's show it was made light that Rubio "still uses a Blackberry," menaing out of touch and not up to date.
    They are done in my opinion. I'll ride out what I have till I grit my teeth to the new device being either ios or some flavor of Android.
    It would've been nice to have a keyboard device on Android or a reverent attempt at pushing 10, or even make like a two tier system of government for OS10 and consumers at android.
    But no.
    Arrogance in their market dominance. Every misstep and missed opportunity along the way.
    Might as well complain the Symbian isn't really making a comeback or that NEC didn't follow up on its flip style phones.
    But primarily without even an attempt to market and get the consumer interested, they gave up.
    Prv was a good start or restart. However, BlackBerry followed it's same pattern -- slow or no updates. And unfortunately it IS about the apps. Yes we don't need farting apps, but this entire forum is fans of the OS from the beginning. Unfortunately, once ios came out, the writing was on the wall.
    Ask the maker of the Altair. Where is that now? A museum.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mattster723; 02-28-16 at 09:50 AM.
    02-28-16 09:33 AM
    Don't worry guys, the Vienna project is very much alive. Blackberry is just short on resources right now so development is slower.

Source?!
    02-28-16 10:11 PM
    BlackBerry is almost non existent in the USA market without a Verizon PRIV. Will Verizon make a difference?

Posted via CB10
    My guess is that Verizon does not like to roll updates out, so the Priv will come with Android M on the Verizon release, hence the delay.

Given that there's been no leaks whatsoever on the Vienna, I have to assume it's at least killed for this year.

02-28-16 11:55 PM
    My guess is that Verizon does not like to roll updates out, so the Priv will come with Android M on the Verizon release, hence the delay.

Given that there's been no leaks whatsoever on the Vienna, I have to assume it's at least killed for this year.

Genuine question: Have you ever heard of a phone coming out with the same model on another carrier with a different, newer version of it's OS?

It seems like the VZW Priv is due for release in two weeks, and we haven't even heard of a solid release date for MM on the current Privs. On top of that, Verizon is the worst major carrier at providing new phones in a timely fashion, and in this instance is partnering with one of the most poorly managed hardware companies of the last 5 years. Nothing about this smells of a MM update out of the box for a VZW Priv.
    03-01-16 01:22 PM
    MWC was a rumor, and the device didn't launch. I don't know if it's dead or whatever else is being said, but that's all I made of it. What did disappoint me though was the lack of any direction regarding Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-01-16 01:49 PM
    What's Verizon? I ggogled it- 137m customers. I googled MTN, apparently they cleared 300million September 2015.

Yes, I'm being flippant, but you don't have to have the American market. Look who just bought Chrysler, another company with effectively zero american presence (let's call Ferrari/Maserati a niche and ignore the 500 please).
    03-01-16 04:30 PM
    MWC was a rumor, and the device didn't launch. I don't know if it's dead or whatever else is being said, but that's all I made of it. What did disappoint me though was the lack of any direction regarding Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    Rumor is that it's in carrier testing. Although I don't own a Priv I wouldn't be surprised if it's released for the Priv this month.

03-02-16 04:26 PM
    Rumor is that it's in carrier testing. Although I don't own a Priv I wouldn't be surprised if it's released for the Priv this month.

If true, that's good. The faster they get 6.0 out the better.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 05:39 PM
    I am looking forward to a new BlackBerry /Android alternative, I can't see myself buying the Priv due to too many reservations on build quality and battery drains. There are too many question marks keeping my money in my pocket.

Why they have not offered a full screen candy bar solid phone as their entry device to the Android market is beyond me. They could have left the Priv to be tweaked and perfected for a second phone and way to show how much further BlackBerry's innovation and software ideas can improve the Android OS. Either way let's get this type of phone out now and if they have to, offer two new phones, one all touch and one with PK.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 02:04 AM

Your rumors are Useless .
    03-03-16 06:58 AM
26 12