Curious, haven't used the KEYone yet but have used DTEK50 and DTEK60 where swipe up allows for the 3 separate actions you can configure. I guess some people are use to that so would miss it on KEYone. That said, is it necessary now with basically what I've heard is 26 short press shortcuts and 26 long press shortcuts?

Meaning kind of a "wants" versus "needs" thing that could have impact on building the OS itself, i.e. the benefit to building the feature in to work with a PKB device would be different than the already built feature for all touch. So the issue isn't building for Nougat, it's why build for a PKB, maybe?

I personally haven't used the KEYone yet but I guess I don't see the need for Swipe Up for those actions now that there are so many available shortcut?
    Technically nothing is "necessary" but it's for the sake of convenience. The keyboard shortcuts you mention only work from the homescreen. The swipe shortcuts work from within any app. That's what makes that more useful at all times. I would have assigned my 3 most used things to that and the rest to the keyboard.
    05-02-17 09:57 AM
    For swipe gestures you may try the following.

Use the productivity tab for hub
    Use the convenience key for the browser
    Use the power key to lock.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way maybe BlackBerry can implement the shortcuts to any screen (not just home) by ctrl+shortcut. Or something like sticky keys on windows. Hold down the shift till you activate sticky keys and press your shortcut button.

Just my 2 ¢
    05-02-17 09:59 AM
    It's gone. You live and you move on. No biggie. I use the keyboad shortcuts instead! Works way better. H for hub and one click and I'm there.
    Yah? How well does it work from within an app?
    05-02-17 10:00 AM
    My apologies. I should have clarified--no hate intended. I was worried it would turn into a forum hating on the K1 when it would have only been in users hands for a short time without full exploration. Often times someone will find that some function does work, but it just takes time. I am very excited for this phone.

Posted via CB10
    No problem, I think I already have it stated in the original post that this is about improving their future phones and not about disliking this one (I'm super excited to get my hands on one as well, stupid May 31st... ), but maybe I'll revise it so that it's more clear...
    05-02-17 10:02 AM
    I can't believe they left out the swipe up targets. This is a major blow to how much this phone appeals to me. The benefits of this feature are obvious and hardware shortcut keys do not replace them because you need to be in the home screen to use them.

If this is a Nougat thing I'm not looking forward to the update on my Priv.
    From what I've read, this is a Nougat thing, so it's not a KEYone thing. Ultimately the KEYone will still be the best BB phone out there when it comes to shortcuts and convenience, so don't let this bum you out about it. But we should bring this to BB's attention that we all love this feature so they can work on getting it to work on the KEYone in the future maybe via a software update. :-)
    05-02-17 10:04 AM
    Wow without the swipe gestures I really have to think twice if I really should purchase the device. They are so convenient on my Priv and I use them most of the time (swipe up left to lock, up for browser and right for hub).
    The gestures also made the transition from bb10 to android easier for me, hopefully they're going to be implemented again in future updates. Till then I'll just keep on using my z10 (already sold my Priv in order to purchase a KeyOne if the prices start dropping)

Posted via CB10
    You'll be giving up a whole lot to stay with your Z10. There are alternatives to the swipe, albeit not as good as the swipe gestures, but this also can be added to the phone via software in the future. Ultimately the KEYone will still be the best BB phone out there even without this one feature. But we need to be vocal about it to BB for them to want to act in bringing the feature back to the device.
    05-02-17 10:07 AM
    For swipe gestures you may try the following.

Use the productivity tab for hub
    Use the convenience key for the browser
    Use the power key to lock.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way maybe BlackBerry can implement the shortcuts to any screen (not just home) by ctrl+shortcut. Or something like sticky keys on windows. Hold down the shift till you activate sticky keys and press your shortcut button.

Just my 2 ¢
    I might end up using the productivity tab for the hub. Will see how that works out. If not, I'll have to decide if it'll be better to assign the convenience key to the camera or the hub...
    05-02-17 10:11 AM
    In the latest Crackberry podcast, Bla1se said he doesn't miss the swipe launcher.
    05-02-17 10:12 AM
    No problem, I think I already have it stated in the original post that this is about improving their future phones and not about disliking this one (I'm super excited to get my hands on one as well, stupid May 31st... ), but maybe I'll revise it so that it's more clear...
    Yeah, it was my fault for taking just a quick glance when you started it. I didn't want the wolves to come out prematurely lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 10:12 AM
    In the latest Crackberry podcast, Bla1se said he doesn't miss the swipe launcher.
    I understand if it's not super important to everyone, but even he has said that even though he's ok with it, he thinks it's a good feature that should be in the phone. And I agree with him, it won't make me want this phone any less to be honest, but I definitely would really want this function added back in if possible. The more features the merrier.
    05-02-17 10:20 AM
    This^^^

It really is tough to say what we don't like before we get our hands on it. I've been thinking about the swipe and I seriously use one swipe above all and I can program convenience key for that one swipe.

If I didn't have the PRIV I would be struggling with the wait. I'll happily use the PRIV until out on Verizon.
    05-02-17 10:22 AM
    Yeah, it was my fault for taking just a quick glance when you started it. I didn't want the wolves to come out prematurely lol.

Posted via CB10
    It's alright, I noticed that everyone is a bit on edge because of this launch. Possibly due to the anticipation. So I've revised the original post so that hopefully it's clearer that this is purely about improving a great phone for the future and not about talking down on it. Maybe I should ask a moderator to revise my title to something like "What can be improved" instead of "What don't you like"...
    05-02-17 10:22 AM
    Couldn't agree more. I personally like the feature a lot (Hub, flashlight and alarm clocks on mine currently). Not a deal breaker, though.
    05-02-17 10:23 AM
    This^^^

It really is tough to say what we don't like before we get our hands on it. I've been thinking about the swipe and I seriously use one swipe above all and I can program convenience key for that one swipe.

If I didn't have the PRIV I would be struggling with the wait. I'll happily use the PRIV until out on Verizon.
    It's funny because even before DroidBerry came out with the three shortcuts, just using BB10 I've always wondered why the swipe can only do two things, minimize the app or go to the hub. Why I can't swipe up and left to do something else. The three shortcut thing DroidBerry had was kind of answering my prayers, lol, but now, oh well...
    05-02-17 10:24 AM
    I used to use the swipe more but I no longer use my swipe for phone because I have a ton of long press speed dials and I have short press for all my most used apps. I also have my work email as my primary so I don't swipe into hub anymore. Literally use one for swipe to text Wife, convenience key will handle that.
    05-02-17 10:36 AM
    I used to use the swipe more but I no longer use my swipe for phone because I have a ton of long press speed dials and I have short press for all my most used apps. I also have my work email as my primary so I don't swipe into hub anymore. Literally use one for swipe to text Wife, convenience key will handle that.
    I was planning for one for the hub, another for the camera, and the third whatever I find myself using the 3rd most, lol.
    05-02-17 11:20 AM
    I might end up using the productivity tab for the hub. Will see how that works out. If not, I'll have to decide if it'll be better to assign the convenience key to the camera or the hub...
    The power key should launch the camera when tapped twice ind tbh I think I'll shove Nova prime on it as the gestures are very useful on my Priv. Another option to quickly access the hub is to give the screen to the left of your homescreen over to the hub widget. To stay on topic, i'm not sure there's anything I hate about the KEYone. Maybe i'd change a couple of things if I was in charge of design such as, i'd keep the dimensions the same but increase size by 7mm on the width and 12mm (or 13 if that's more correct) on the height. Maybe a couple of other colour options and I think a limited edition (gold, Porsche Design, premium, plus, carbon fibre or whatever) model just to provide something else and grab some headlines (read: free advertising). There's a couple of things that would have been convenient like wireless charging or water resistance but they aren't a dealbreaker by any means. All in all, it's a good device. I use BlackBerry because I communicate primarily and do all the other things to a lesser degree and BlackBerry has always been solid for email and text input and battery life and call quality. I can't fault the choice of camera, processor, battery capacity, build material or the fact that they chose LCD over amoled as it's better for text and better in bright daylight. The things that were left out were probably because it kept the cost below £500 so I don't really have an issue with the choices they made, but an £800 model with all the bells and whistles would have been nice. I don't really care about the speaker being mono so long as it is loud and clear for speakerphone calls. Good job BlackBerry mobile.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 11:29 AM
    The power key should launch the camera when tapped twice ind tbh I think I'll shove Nova prime on it as the gestures are very useful on my Priv. Another option to quickly access the hub is to give the screen to the left of your homescreen over to the hub widget. To stay on topic, i'm not sure there's anything I hate about the KEYone. Maybe i'd change a couple of things if I was in charge of design such as, i'd keep the dimensions the same but increase size by 7mm on the width and 12mm (or 13 if that's more correct) on the height. Maybe a couple of other colour options and I think a limited edition (gold, Porsche Design, premium, plus, carbon fibre or whatever) model just to provide something else and grab some headlines (read: free advertising). There's a couple of things that would have been convenient like wireless charging or water resistance but they aren't a dealbreaker by any means. All in all, it's a good device. I use BlackBerry because I communicate primarily and do all the other things to a lesser degree and BlackBerry has always been solid for email and text input and battery life and call quality. I can't fault the choice of camera, processor, battery capacity, build material or the fact that they chose LCD over amoled as it's better for text and better in bright daylight. The things that were left out were probably because it kept the cost below £500 so I don't really have an issue with the choices they made, but an £800 model with all the bells and whistles would have been nice. I don't really care about the speaker being mono so long as it is loud and clear for speakerphone calls. Good job BlackBerry mobile.

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't Nova override the keyboard shortcuts? If so, then the swipe shortcuts do not justify losing the homescreen keyboard shortcuts. I was considering using Nova as well but someone said that I would lose the kb shortcuts... Wondering if anyone can check if this is the case...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-02-17 11:45 AM
    Wouldn't Nova override the keyboard shortcuts? If so, then the swipe shortcuts do not justify losing the homescreen keyboard shortcuts. I was considering using Nova as well but someone said that I would lose the kb shortcuts... Wondering if anyone can check if this is the case...

I asked this question on another post and 99% sure Bla1ze said if u switch launchers you lose shortcut keys.
    05-02-17 12:15 PM
    I asked this question on another post and 99% sure Bla1ze said if u switch launchers you lose shortcut keys.
    I am about to test on the perv.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 12:19 PM
    Correct, keyboard shortcuts are disabled but device search is activated with the quick actions at the top. Guess it's a tradeoff.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-17 12:24 PM
    Having had the device for five days now the biggest gripe I have is the BB contacts app! Still so Buggy
    05-02-17 12:29 PM

How can we get the attention of Blackberry software employees about the swipe up gestures? I don't understand people that say it's not a big deal they never used, use the keyboard shortcuts. I might not use a certain feature, but if others do I understand their need for it. They can turn it off then, but a lot of people in the forums use it daily.

Maybe start a thread slagman called bring back the swipe up gestures lol and also bring back swiping down on the keyboard to show numbers etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by berry_f30; 05-02-17 at 12:45 PM.
    05-02-17 12:30 PM
    I was planning for one for the hub, another for the camera, and the third whatever I find myself using the 3rd most, lol.
    Yeah I used them all pretty recently until I got used to long press and short press for shortcuts. Granted they have to be done from the home screen but double tapping home and short pressing a key is just as quick if you ask me. Yes you can stay in the app with swipe shortcuts but I often find myself going to home screen anyways after using a shortcut.
    05-02-17 12:30 PM
    By the way I am using the Hub widget on the left screen too. Pretty convenient so far. Trying to mimick the flipboard app on Samsungs. BlackBerry should definitely do something like that. Right swipe taking you to hub where you can compose anything.
    05-02-17 12:38 PM
207 ... 23456 ...