The BlackBerry US version comes with 3GB RAM. Is there a way to increase that amount and if so, can it be done without decreasing the level of performance and productivity with the device?
    02-19-18 12:19 PM
    No phone allows you to upgrade the RAM. We're not in a modular world yet for smartphones.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-19-18 12:21 PM
    A dude in a shop in China could do it. No take backsies.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-19-18 01:11 PM
    I heard it's possible in China but guys who owns the store only speak Chinese and no international shipping.
    02-19-18 02:36 PM
    I do believe it's doable in technically.
    02-19-18 09:58 PM
    Yes.. Buy a 4gb version and sell your 3gb.
    Carjackd and Mercuryuser like this.
    02-19-18 10:35 PM
    It is not possible.
    02-19-18 11:42 PM
    Yes.. Buy a 4gb version and sell your 3gb.
    This!^
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    02-20-18 12:18 AM
    It *should* be possible, if you really are dedicated enough. You can take the phone apart and, if you can get to the memory chip, desolder it from the motherboard and solder a 4GB chip in its place (for that matter, any chip that fits and has an identical pin layout ought to work). That being said, there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing and if you don't have the right equipment. In all it's probably a $200 job to do it yourself, maybe less if you can find a repair shop willing to do it for you.
    The risk, however, is that you may end up with a nonfunctional phone. For a 4 year old phone on its last leg, it would be a fun learning experience and no great loss if things went wrong, but on a fairly new phone with no serious issues, it's probably not worth the risk.
    02-20-18 03:24 AM
    not sure about K1, normally the RAM is piggy backed on top of the processor in order to optimize the performance (PoP or MCM). Not a home DIY job (even repair house, it is success rate are not high... they usually just ex-change a mother board... unless that repair shop is TCL side business). If I were you, get a weekend job at restaurant and buy BE K1 (and possibly sell your SE K1). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_on_package
    02-20-18 07:30 AM
    Sounds to me like it would be a lot cheaper to just sell the 3gb version for the 4gb version BE. If you are crazy about the silver color, I'm sure you could change the shell of the phone to be silver. I think.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    02-20-18 11:01 AM
    Sounds to me like it would be a lot cheaper to just sell the 3gb version for the 4gb version BE. If you are crazy about the silver color, I'm sure you could change the shell of the phone to be silver. I think.
    and safer.... I did this for my wife.. really works great.. and warranty is now from when i bought the 4gb and not when the 3 gb was bought with void warranty(should you attempt it)
    02-20-18 11:20 AM
    Saw an article about the Turning Phone... sadly talk is about all they are doing, but their latest grand plan has 12GB RAM. Not sure if Android can do anything with that much RAM, but maybe at some point an OEM might get the idea to at least make possible for a repair shop (or skilled owner) to pop out a chip and pop in a new one.
    02-20-18 11:30 AM
    As Krazy mentioned, it is possible. someone did it for PRIV, so I would assume they can do it for the K1, but why would you risk it when they SELLL a 4GB version. Not sure the 625 supports more than 4GB or if a compatible ram is available either.
    02-20-18 12:34 PM
    I heard it's possible in China but guys who owns the store only speak Chinese and no international shipping.
    Actually he did it for someone on this forum that is from Canada.
    02-20-18 12:50 PM
    Actually he did it for someone on this forum that is from Canada.
    He did it for a Chinese guy in Vancouver. He sent his priv to China with a friend. He has stated that the guy doesn't speak English and won't allow people to ship their phone there.
    02-20-18 12:56 PM
    You could always... download more RAM

(*You can't actually download RAM*)
    02-20-18 02:54 PM
    It *should* be possible, if you really are dedicated enough. You can take the phone apart and, if you can get to the memory chip, desolder it from the motherboard and solder a 4GB chip in its place (for that matter, any chip that fits and has an identical pin layout ought to work). That being said, there are a lot of things that can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing and if you don't have the right equipment. In all it's probably a $200 job to do it yourself, maybe less if you can find a repair shop willing to do it for you.
    The risk, however, is that you may end up with a nonfunctional phone. For a 4 year old phone on its last leg, it would be a fun learning experience and no great loss if things went wrong, but on a fairly new phone with no serious issues, it's probably not worth the risk.
    While it should be possible it’s not. Unlike computers the phones bios would freeze as it can only see the 3gb. The other thing is the phone would show no difference.
    02-20-18 04:36 PM
    While it should be possible it’s not. Unlike computers the phones bios would freeze as it can only see the 3gb. The other thing is the phone would show no difference.
    Well someone has already reported having it done.... maybe they guy works at a TCL factory and had access to a 4GB chipset?

But is the firmware different on a 3GB and 4GB KEYone?
    02-21-18 08:12 AM
    Well someone has already reported having it done.... maybe they guy works at a TCL factory and had access to a 4GB chipset?

I believe the person with the upgrade was CB member ToniCipriani and the phone was actually BB PRIV.
    02-21-18 08:39 AM

I would love to know two questions. One why would you take the time and effort to remove and installl a micro soldered part, when you could just swap out the system board? Also the firmware would either have to be flashed (near impossible, not in a manufacturing environment) or brick the phone? I could be wrong, did think I was once but I was right.

Lol
    02-21-18 09:32 AM
    quackquack can do it! But you need to send it over to him.
    02-21-18 03:49 PM
    Is more RAM even noticeable? 4gb is supposed to be better future proof. Not more than that.
    02-22-18 10:35 AM
    Do you NEED 4GB? I use my phone for quite a few things, and I never notice any performance issues with the 3GB's I have.
    02-22-18 10:38 AM
    Is more RAM even noticeable? 4gb is supposed to be better future proof. Not more than that.
    Several that have tried both the 3GB and 4GB version, they did notice a difference at times -depending on what apps are open.

From what I've read 4GB is now "considered" the Android "standard"... anything over that is now considered future proofing. The "mark" is always moving.... this year 6GB is future proofing, next year it will be the standard.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-22-18 12:00 PM
34 12