View Poll Results: My Keyone came with protective stickers on the lens(es)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

2 100.00%
    I remember many posts in the Priv section where people complained about the quality of the cam and it turned out that sometimes the transparent protective sticker/film was still attached on the lens and that they could not or hardly notice it and that they could also hardly get it off with their finger nails.

Did your (black or silver colored) KeyOne also have a protective sticker/film on the back camera and on the selfie cam when you first got it?

I think mine did not, but then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I don't really want to check with a knife or scissor to make sure.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the two big protective stickers that protected the screen and the back, I'm specifically talking about cam-shaped protective stickers on the camera lens(es).
    Last edited by WT44; 10-31-17 at 04:16 AM.
    10-31-17 04:03 AM
    I remember many posts in the Priv section where people complained about the quality of the cam and it turned out that sometimes the transparent protective sticker/film was still attached on the lens and that they could not or hardly notice it and that they could also hardly get it off with their finger nails.

Did your (black or silver colored) KeyOne also have a protective sticker/film on the back camera and on the selfie cam when you first got it?

I think mine did not, but then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I don't really want to check with a knife or scissor to make sure.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the two big protective stickers that protected the screen and the back, I'm specifically talking about cam-shaped protective stickers on the camera lens(es).
    I don't really remember. But I hope that if there is a sticker on the lens, it is an obvious one with a little tab to grab and peel off the rest of the sticker. I certainly don't recommend using any tool to try getting under an "invisible sticker" (not a sticker) as most likely there is NOT a sticker and you are touching the lens glass/plastic.

But that is my theory.
    10-31-17 08:47 AM
    there isnt a protective sticker
    WT44 likes this.
    10-31-17 09:31 AM
    Nope, no sticker,cover,screen or anything else for that matter.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-31-17 09:24 PM
    I don't really remember. But I hope that if there is a sticker on the lens, it is an obvious one with a little tab to grab and peel off the rest of the sticker. I certainly don't recommend using any tool to try getting under an "invisible sticker" (not a sticker) as most likely there is NOT a sticker and you are touching the lens glass/plastic.

But that is my theory.
    @All thanx for the confirmation.
    @FF22 I know for a fact that on a Priv the sticker protecting the back cam isn't obvious at all due to not having a tag. I remember reading a couple of posts by people complaining about the quality of their pics, and it turned out that the protective film was still on it.

I was initially asking this question because to be honest, I'm quite baffled about the bad quality of pics in a low light/dark room circumstances, and that the photo quality is actually better on the Priv!! And this after I "complained" so much that the pics on the Priv were subpar in low-light/indoor/artificial light situations e.g. that it gives this post-processing watercolor effect!!

When I first got the device I did some quick tests in the dark in my living room. No lights. Only flash or torch flash. I shot some photos from my bookcase that is full of books with colory dust jackets. I'm not exaggerating that the Priv shows the colors more accurately and that I could actually read the titles of the books pretty good when I zoomed in on the pics, compared to the photos taken with the KeyOne. What the heck!

I remember the correspondence I had with @guizmox in May of this year (see below), and Guizmox, it has taken a while before I got the KeyOne, but you were 100% right!! And here I thought that the KeyOne would be an upgrade re: the camera. I have to say the outdoor daytime pics are better after doing some quick comparisons, but the low-light/artificial light/indoor pics are worse than on the Priv. So bad compared to the Priv's pics, that I seriously thought there was some sticker on the back of the cam.... I don't even have to do thorough tests any longer to actually notice the difference in detail, as it is pretty obvious as it is.

Some direct comparisons between the Priv & the K1.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bzwv2d93...utSyOii7a?dl=0

Using manual mode (you can check the EXIF data for each compared shot)
    - **K.JPG files are from the KeyONE,
    - **F.JPG files are from the PRIV

-> In this configuration, I have to admit that PRIV shots are better. But I probably have to learn how to improve my shots with the K1.
    Those pics taken by the KeyOne are really REALLY a big $hit compared to the Priv photos you compared them with, sheeesh. Clearly you must have handled in wrongly somehow since literally nobody has said/wrote/show that the Priv would take better pix. Seriously, would I had to choose a phone(camera)based on your comparison shots, I -as a cam buff- wouldn't decide to go through with my purchase of the KeyOne next month..
    A case of user-error? Let's hope so! Though I wonder what could have gone wrong here.
    I did some other shots the last few days (and I have to say that I'm not a novice photographer) and I still prefer the Priv shots. I tried various scenarios, a lot of low-light shots with "long" exposures and low ISO levels : the Priv handles the noise better.
    It's particularly visible when working the shots with Snapseed.

If you check the EXIF informations you'll see that I used the exact same settings on both phones.
    I have to add that I never found a device capturing better pictures than the Priv. Even the iPhone 6+ - I did a lot of tests with various devices (you can check my Insta account - guizmox44)
    This surprises me since I wouldn't have thought the Priv could potentially bring better results than the KeyOne under any circumstance. Almost all of the threads I started here were about the Privs cam shortcomings, e.g. about the post-processing software of the Priv which gave things/persons (face/skin) on photos often a watercolor paining effect. This often happens when you shoot under indoor/ artificial light/ low-light conditions.
    -Is this watercolor effect still there while shooting photos under these conditions?
    -What can you tell about the very annoying "breathing artifects" while shooting videos?:
    Camera: Faster autofocus (video)? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    - Maybe you can try another camera app from the Play Store? From what I understand from one of smcv's posts is that you will get a different quality outcome depending on the cam app you're using. Post-processing software (among others) will be different from what I understand.....so I guess we need to find out of the cam app that the Google Pixel is using (?) can be downloaded somewhere LOL so that we could take advantage of the fantastic cam software that makes the photos fantastic (since both devices already have the same lens). Just throwing out some ideas here.
    I can't answer for the video part because I don't shoot any video but you're right. You'll be soon able to try by yourself.
    I would have loved to have an ISO 50 setting and maybe a 1 or 2 seconds exposure times.
    Looking forward for your tests !
    Last edited by WT44; 11-23-17 at 05:15 PM.
    11-23-17 01:45 PM
    BTW, somebody asked me last week what that small window is next to the LED. How embarrassing that I couldn't tell him.
    I tried to look it up in the accompanying flyer, but somehow, they didn't even mention what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Is there a protective sticker on the KeyOne's camera lenses?-2017-11-23_204833.jpg  
    11-23-17 01:47 PM
    BTW, somebody asked me last week what that small window is next to the LED. How embarrassing that I couldn't tell him.
    I tried to look it up in the accompanying flyer, but somehow, they didn't even mention what it is.
    I actually went looking for that yesterday. NOT found. But I tested - Proximity/light sensor.
    WT44 likes this.
    11-23-17 02:19 PM
    I actually went looking for that yesterday. NOT found. But I tested - Proximity/light sensor.
    They should have incorporated a proper flash on the front imho as I hardly see a difference with LCD flash or not. Also, I don't think the front cam is very good at capturing details of your face/skin as it is, even it ideal light conditions. There is no huge monster difference compared to the Priv's. I still take photos the old school way tbh, i.e. turning it around to shoot with the back cam, that is , when I absolutely want them to be clear (e.g. photos w/ family members on the other side of the ocean that I haven't and will not see for ages). Shouldn't be the case, but then again, I shouldn't have continued to purchase BlackBerry's if photography would have been more important to me than keyboard functionality (which it will never be). It's a trade-off I guess.

You prolly take more photos and videos than I do (recalling the many pics you posted in the photography topic(s)), what is the outcome of your tests for pics and vids, front and back, compared to the Priv, in supbar lighting conditions that is. You also notice the noise, watercolor effect, when taking night/evening shots or indoor shots where there is artificial light? When I did the tests with the book case that has all these colored dust jackets, I was flabbergasted seeing the comparison shots. And then they say the 18mp doesn't matter.....technically, it shouldn't, but now you have 1) a quality outcome that is worse compared to the Priv AND b) no ability to zoom the photos without losing too much detail due to only having 12MPs. I can't even read the titles for most books any longer when zooming in. I was hoping that the less MPs would mean that we would actually get better quality photos under those circumstances, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The whole marketing that it has the same cam as the Google Pixel is just a hoax in hindsight. It's all about (post-processing) software, maybe in combination with a better chip.
    One or two things did improve. A) day-time photos are of better quality, and b) I can finally capture my dog when he's mooching BiFi sausages before he concludes that he isn't getting any and goes to his bed again. Damn, he's always so quick to move his head. I could never take photos of him with the Priv.

Is there a protective sticker on the KeyOne's camera lenses?-2017-11-23_224213.jpg
    11-23-17 03:54 PM
    They should have incorporated a proper flash on the front imho as I hardly see a difference with LCD flash or not. Also, I don't think the front cam is very good at capturing details of your face/skin as it is, even it ideal light conditions. There is no huge monster difference compared to the Priv's. I still take photos the old school way tbh, i.e. turning it around to shoot with the back cam, that is , when I absolutely want them to be clear (e.g. photos w/ family members on the other side of the ocean that I haven't and will not see for ages). Shouldn't be the case, but then again, I shouldn't have continued to purchase BlackBerry's if photography would have been more important to me than keyboard functionality (which it will never be). It's a trade-off I guess.

You prolly take more photos and videos than I do (recalling the many pics you posted in the photography topic(s)), what is the outcome of your tests for pics and vids, front and back, compared to the Priv, in supbar lighting conditions that is. You also notice the noise, watercolor effect, when taking night/evening shots or indoor shots where there is artificial light? When I did the tests with the book case that has all these colored dust jackets, I was flabbergasted seeing the comparison shots. And then they say the 18mp doesn't matter.....technically, it shouldn't, but now you have 1) a quality outcome that is worse compared to the Priv AND b) no ability to zoom the photos without losing too much detail due to only having 12MPs. I can't even read the titles for most books any longer when zooming in. I was hoping that the less MPs would mean that we would actually get better quality photos under those circumstances, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The whole marketing that it has the same cam as the Google Pixel is just a hoax in hindsight. It's all about (post-processing) software, maybe in combination with a better chip.
    One or two things did improve. A) day-time photos are of better quality, and b) I can finally capture my dog when he's mooching BiFi sausages before he concludes that he isn't getting any and goes to his bed again. Damn, he's always so quick to move his head. I could never take photos of him with the Priv.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-23_224213.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	431702
    Actually, that's the reason I don't take selfies - very old, sun damaged skin showing all kinds of blemishes!!!!!!!!!

I think the camera is pretty good. I probably am not a good judge as I thought the Z30's images were really nice and crisp. I'm not so sure about either the Priv or KeyOne. But Maybe I need better subjects.

Pup is cute and the picture nice, too.
    11-23-17 05:24 PM
    Actually, that's the reason I don't take selfies - very old, sun damaged skin showing all kinds of blemishes!!!!!!!!!

I think the camera is pretty good. I probably am not a good judge as I thought the Z30's images were really nice and crisp. I'm not so sure about either the Priv or KeyOne. But Maybe I need better subjects.

Pup is cute and the picture nice, too.
    No pup, but even though he's a few years old now, he's still a real ladiesman a charmer alright, a bit like your bully if I recall correctly. He just came back from the hairdresser/"dog groomer" as they call it. He looks a bit sad with his new short hair style. Maybe I should give him a piece of that left-over BiFi sausage from earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Is there a protective sticker on the KeyOne's camera lenses?-clipboard.jpg  
    11-23-17 05:40 PM
    nope, the keyone has no sticker
    FF22 and WT44 like this.
    11-23-17 08:08 PM
    No pup, but even though he's a few years old now, he's still a real ladiesman a charmer alright, a bit like your bully if I recall correctly. He just came back from the hairdresser/"dog groomer" as they call it. He looks a bit sad with his new short hair style. Maybe I should give him a piece of that left-over BiFi sausage from earlier.
    If you are referring to "my dog" - there hasn't been one in about 40 years. I have been saddled with a partner's cats for a number of years but now she has suddenly become a dog person!
    11-23-17 11:06 PM