I just got my KeyOne, and am digging through thread after thread here trying to figure out what steps I need to take to get it all setup and be as productive and efficient as my Passport.

Fortunately I preemptively got an android tablet last year so that I wouldn't be learning android OS and trying to switch phones at the same time. (Meaning: "you just don't understand andriod" is NOT at all a factor here.) But....

So far I've seen mention that I need to get a separate visual voicemail app for AT&T, a separate LED manager app, a different-than-stock SMS app, a different-than-stock phone app, a separate this app, a separate that app, a separate the other thing app, and on and on and on.

SO: is there a actual LIST of this things? Everybody is usually mentioning generic-ish names when mentioning these apps, almost all of which have zero exact name matches in the Playstore, and it's getting rather frustrating.

(Plus: my biggest issue with this whole this-that-and-the-other-thing for android has been, and continues to be, that I trust Blackberry as a company with my data. I have no clue what random app developer for android is trustworthy or not, and no idea how to find out. It's the same reason I never installed/used Face10 on my Passport... it wasn't developed by BB, and it wasn't developed by FB, so why should I trust it with my login credentials?)

I'll take direct browser URLs into the Playstore, or at least screen captures of the app icons so I know I've found the correct thing.

It seems to me like such a list should already exist somewhere on Crackberry for new KeyOne users, but I have yet to find it.

And another thing: (also: get off my lawn ;-) ) Is there a forum thread somewhere for "This is the BB10 app I have, who has found a good android equivalent to replace it, and what/where is it" ? (Power Tools, Gadget Box, and Convertly are the biggies for me.)

If no such list exists, can we please start one?

Updated To Add apps I am now using (or at least looked into):

SMS integration with Hub

BB Remember

BB Password Keeper w/Cloud Backup
    • BB Password Keeper + manual export + copy export file to cloud

Blackberry Protect

BB File Manager

Blackberry Web Browser

Blackberry Pictures

Audio & LED Profiles + GeoFencing

Blackberry Calculator

Blackberry as an Alarm Clock

Blackberry Blend

Other / Misc

08-Sept-2017 Updated to add other apps mentioned in the comments (but that I've not personally looked into)

Last edited by neefer; 09-08-17 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added more apps to the list
    06-30-17 04:23 PM
    I feel your pain. I didn't even imagine a phone could come without a decent calculator. On that subject, I found Equate to be almost the same as BB10 calculator.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    neefer, skinnymike1, FF22 and 4 others like this.
    06-30-17 07:59 PM
    I feel your pain. I didn't even imagine a phone could come without a decent calculator. On that subject, I found Equate to be almost the same as BB10 calculator.
    Excellent, thanks. It does indeed look like a viable replacement for most of the enhanced features of the native BB10 calculator, as well as the Convertly app I've been using on my Passport.
    07-01-17 12:57 AM
    android is a commercial os trying to sell your stuff but also trying to buy more apps or even music and video in there apps and you must use a gmail account in order to use the playstore and afterwards they send you stuff like a notification. how on earth is this os so populair when bbos was so clean and has better ui and notification.

I use solid explorer with winzip build in
    skinnymike1, neefer, FF22 and 5 others like this.
    07-01-17 01:45 AM
    This is what I use as replacements. Not sure why you need to replace the phone app. Nothing wrong with it.

Asus file manager for files
    Piktures for the picture app
    VLC for the music app
    Yaata for the sms app
    Simple calculator for the calulator
    I carried over BeWeather as there's an android version although doesn't look the same but still has all the same features.
    I use the stock BB notes app and password keeper notes section which I backup to my SD card.
    I use keyboard browser as it has reader mode
    I deleted all googly things except maps, store, and system, and replaced it with Microsoft Office and the stuff above
    07-01-17 02:08 AM
    Thanks! Piktures is an excellent replacement! I've updated my original list above to include it.

Now if I could just find something that can edit/crop a photo from within the camera app but then actually put the edited version in the same folder as the original, instead of someplace else. (This whole edit-from-the-camera-then-go-find-that-someplace-else-and-share-it-from-there thing is driving me nuts!)

I "carried over" BeWeather as well -- but then I found WTForecast which is now providing me endless amusement. :-)
    the brother likes this.
    07-11-17 02:58 PM
    My advice: try to accept Android as it is 😀
    Just install those applications that you really need and try not to duplicate functionalities or you will end with a real mess and poor performance. That's what I've learnt being an android user since v1.6.
    Now you have the option to disable some system apps to avoid duplicates. Use it. I've disabled almost all Sony's apps on my Xperia as I use other options. That improved battery performance as Sony's apps tend to send/receive data in the background too often.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-11-17 03:38 PM
    Thanks! Piktures is an excellent replacement! I've updated my original list above to include it.

Now if I could just find something that can edit/crop a photo from within the camera app but then actually put the edited version in the same folder as the original, instead of someplace else. (This whole edit-from-the-camera-then-go-find-that-someplace-else-and-share-it-from-there thing is driving me nuts!)

I "carried over" BeWeather as well -- but then I found WTForecast which is now providing me endless amusement. :-)
    There was an app for BB10 like WTForecast that used harsher language. It was amusing.

Looking forward to all these great apps one day.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 03:41 PM
    Well, it's hard to accept "inefficient" when I've been using "efficient" all these years. :-)

I have been inconsistently disabling / uninstalling apps that duplicate functionality, so thanks for the reminder to make another pass through the full app list for more cruft to cull.

I did have the BB10 "harsher language" weather app, but didn't use it much beyond the first few days. It leaned more toward the "obnoxious" side, where WTForecast leans more towards the "amusing" side.
    07-11-17 03:44 PM
    I'd like to send out a big "thank you!" for alerting me to the existence of the Sound Profile apps. The lack of sound profiles in stock Android has seemed like an oversight given every device I've used in the past 20 years has had this in one form or another.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-17 06:38 AM
    On my Passport I used the BB10 version of CalenGoo. After getting my KEYᵒⁿᵉ I was very happy to find out there is an Android version as well. For me this is the best calendar app out there.
    Now to talk the developer of the BB10 Clipman Clipboard Manager app to make an Android version.
    07-16-17 07:30 AM

Now to talk the developer of the BB10 Clipman Clipboard Manager app to make an Android version.
    This^^
    07-16-17 09:32 AM
    I've found the "Simple" family of apps are fantastic.

I'm currently using Simple Gallery and Simple File Manager.
    They are free, have zero adds, zero network connectivity, and have customizable colour schemes. The only permissions they ask for are read and write storage access (and camera for the gallery app). They feel similar to the BB10 versions.
    Donations are via paypal.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...96388022589266
    FF22 and the brother like this.
    07-16-17 10:14 AM
    Consider:

Tripcase as a replacement for BlackBerry Travel. It does not sell travel services but is a great organizer for your trips.

Enpass as a replacement for Password Keeper. I used this on BB10 because I found it to be superior. It works cross platform with your passwords synced in the cloud.

Weather Underground instead of BEWeather. I think it is a better app (for one thing, it displays dew point), but it never ran very well on BB10.

Pushbullet rather than Airdroid as a Blend replacement. I've used them both and find Pushbullet to be much better, faster, and more complete.
    ErnieH likes this.
    07-18-17 09:31 AM
    Has anyone found a good app that would mimic "Remember Now" on BB10 for location reminders? I tried Google Now reminders but it often can't reach Google for a location. So I need something reliable.
    Also if it could set radius so I don't actually have to arrive at the location but drive by as well. If I arrived I guess I wouldn't need a reminder lol
    07-22-17 09:00 AM
    customization is what Android is all about its so personal! First off start out with a launcher 1st as that will be the core of your usage!
    07-22-17 10:18 AM
    android is a commercial os trying to sell your stuff but also trying to buy more apps or even music and video in there apps and you must use a gmail account in order to use the playstore and afterwards they send you stuff like a notification. how on earth is this os so populair when bbos was so clean and has better ui and notification.

Actually you need a Google account it does not have to have a Gmail email address attached just another email address will do unless they've changed it lately
    07-23-17 01:08 AM
    This is a good thread! I just wanted to add a comment here so I can keep an eye on it
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-23-17 01:22 AM
    I just got my KeyOne, and am digging through thread after thread here trying to figure out what steps I need to take to get it all setup and be as productive and efficient as my Passport.

Fortunately I preemptively got an android tablet last year so that I wouldn't be learning android OS and trying to switch phones at the same time. (Meaning: "you just don't understand andriod" is NOT at all a factor here.) But....

So far I've seen mention that I need to get a separate visual voicemail app for AT&T, a separate LED manager app, a different-than-stock SMS app, a different-than-stock phone app, a separate this app, a separate that app, a separate the other thing app, and on and on and on.

SO: is there a actual LIST of this things? Everybody is usually mentioning generic-ish names when mentioning these apps, almost all of which have zero exact name matches in the Playstore, and it's getting rather frustrating.

(Plus: my biggest issue with this whole this-that-and-the-other-thing for android has been, and continues to be, that I trust Blackberry as a company with my data. I have no clue what random app developer for android is trustworthy or not, and no idea how to find out. It's the same reason I never installed/used Face10 on my Passport... it wasn't developed by BB, and it wasn't developed by FB, so why should I trust it with my login credentials?)

I'll take direct browser URLs into the Playstore, or at least screen captures of the app icons so I know I've found the correct thing.

It seems to me like such a list should already exist somewhere on Crackberry for new KeyOne users, but I have yet to find it.

And another thing: (also: get off my lawn ;-) ) Is there a forum thread somewhere for "This is the BB10 app I have, who has found a good android equivalent to replace it, and what/where is it" ? (Power Tools, Gadget Box, and Convertly are the biggies for me.)

If no such list exists, can we please start one?

Updated To Add:

SMS integration with Hub

BB Remember

BB Password Keeper w/Cloud Backup
    • BB Password Keeper + manual export + copy export file to cloud

Blackberry Protect

BB File Manager

Blackberry Web Browser

Blackberry Pictures

Audio & LED Profiles + GeoFencing

Blackberry Calculator

Blackberry as an Alarm Clock

Blackberry Blend

Other / Misc
    Why don't use the included BB suite and launcher first! Have a go and then replace the apps as you go to see as you see fit! Great thing about android is that you can customize the heck out of "your" device to make it your own!
    07-23-17 11:50 AM
    I miss the BB Travel app! It made flying easier.
    07-24-17 05:29 PM
    This is cool thanks
    07-28-17 04:21 AM
    Yeah there's a lot a great BB10 apps that we all take for granted. It's surprising all the apps people on the other "superior" operating systems have to download just to get basic features....iOS just got a file browser THIS YEAR

Posted via CB10
    [email protected] likes this.
    07-28-17 08:13 AM

You have forgotten ads business !
    People are sheep ... that's all

kr
    07-28-17 02:27 PM
    Thanks for posting this. The browser experience was one of the main things i missed from BB10. Keyboard browser nails it. Great app!
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    08-01-17 11:27 AM
    commenting to save this great thread for reference later!
    LyoobaBerry and Powdah like this.
    08-02-17 06:58 PM
94 123 ...