I'm not a person who likes "phones", which is why I've held onto my Classic for a very long time. But it's now becoming apparent that the world is passing me by and I need to upgrade. Before my Classic is completely dead, I decided to buy a re-con Keyone on Amazon.

So far, after some trial futzing around, it's gathering dust. I absolutely hate all the Chrome/Google tie-ups. I have the bug that gives an error message in replies (although I see that's an update... Do I have to create some kind of Google account to get it?) I downloaded Firefox but really the whole thing is just frustrating. I'm writing this on my classic.

There seems to just be so much crap that I'll never use and don't want. I hate the little "hub" that keeps popping open from the side.

I don't like the actual hub either... email accounts I use for "junk" keep pushing down the messages I actually care about. I have an account that receives emails but doesn't SEND replies! That's just for a start...
    10-15-19 05:49 PM
    I'm not a person who likes "phones", which is why I've held onto my Classic for a very long time. But it's now becoming apparent that the world is passing me by and I need to upgrade. Before my Classic is completely dead, I decided to buy a re-con Keyone on Amazon.

So far, after some trial futzing around, it's gathering dust. I absolutely hate all the Chrome/Google tie-ups. I have the bug that gives an error message in replies (although I see that's an update... Do I have to create some kind of Google account to get it?) I downloaded Firefox but really the whole thing is just frustrating. I'm writing this on my classic.

There seems to just be so much crap that I'll never use and don't want. I hate the little "hub" that keeps popping open from the side.

I don't like the actual hub either... email accounts I use for "junk" keep pushing down the messages I actually care about. I have an account that receives emails but doesn't SEND replies! That's just for a start...
    So, so, so many things to unpack here.

First, just put your Classic away and fully commit. You'll never adjust if you continue to try and put a square peg into a round hole - so don't try to "turn it into" a Classic.

Sign your device into Google to allow backups and access to Play Store.

Then update all of your apps. Come back then.
    10-15-19 06:02 PM

First, just put your Classic away and fully commit. You'll never adjust if you continue to try and put a square peg into a round hole - so don't try to "turn it into" a Classic.

Orrrrrrr.....tape the two devices back to back and use the classic for all the important stuff and the droid (by hotspot or tethering) for the occassional website that has way way way too much eye-candy and CSS gymnastic ribbons... and ad tracking barnicle distractions.
    10-15-19 08:04 PM
    Orrrrrrr.....tape the two devices back to back and use the classic for all the important stuff and the droid (by hotspot or tethering) for the occassional website that has way way way too much eye-candy and CSS gymnastic ribbons... and ad tracking barnicle distractions.
    What kind of tape would you recommend?

Posted via CB10
    anon(8004005) likes this.
    10-15-19 08:40 PM
    I LOL'd.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-19 08:53 PM
    What kind of tape would you recommend?

Posted via CB10
    Duct tape is my usual go to for proto-typing. But any leather maker could wrestle up a two phone carrying case.....(and leave both cameras intact for use)...
    I don't in any way endorse the following, but it is an example....though custom gets a little expensive.....
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/4570...57030678&bes=1

You could always go down to the local fabric/uphosltery outlet and grab your own material to make one out of....I wonder if those mail-order dress pattern outfits have updated to custom phone carrying pattern (lol).....or even this youtube diy leather case (you'll have to improvise for two though)....

....then again you could velcro both backs together, or even dual sided tape them...but you'd probably lose use of the Classic camera (if that matters too much...then place them upside down of each other...but that might make the combined phone excessively long.)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 10-15-19 at 09:42 PM.
    10-15-19 08:59 PM

OP - although duct taping your devices together would be technically still dual carry, probably not what you’re looking for solution-wise.

As conite suggested here, I wholeheartedly agree with ALL his suggestions especially putting the Classic away even under lock and key and lose the key if need be..
    10-15-19 09:38 PM
    OP - although duct taping your devices together would be technically still dual carry, probably not what you’re looking for solution-wise.

As conite suggested here, I wholeheartedly agree with ALL his suggestions especially putting the Classic away even under lock and key and lose the key if need be..
    I wouldn't so much as call it dual carry....as I would a dual-OS-boot foldable phone (prototype), you're on the cutting edge mate, with a BB10/BBAndroid
    anon(5597702) and melhiore like this.
    10-15-19 09:48 PM
    I wouldn't so much as call it dual carry....as I would a dual-OS-boot foldable phone (prototype), you're on the cutting edge mate, with a BB10/BBAndroid
    LMAO
    10-15-19 09:55 PM

You know I tried the same thing with my passport. When I want to unplug I now go to my passport. But for everyday its my Key 2 or priv. Sometimes its just hard to say goodby.
    10-17-19 07:31 AM
    As for the "little hub thing on the side" that you hate, it's called the productivity tab (and it's not that useful at all) you can disable it in the display settings
    10-17-19 07:55 AM
    Harrumph - I use the Productivity Tab daily - Harrumph!
    10-17-19 03:04 PM
    ^^^This is my preferred option.

After more than two years of learning all about Android, trying lots of apps and optimizing everything I can, I finally realized that you can't fix stupid.

Android's not too difficult, or too complicated. It's just too busy, ugly and noisy. It's designed by people who want to distract you and help you consume, not by anyone who wants to improve your life and reduce your time on the platform.

It's a commercial product, that monetizes your time, attention and personal data.

I won't try to dissuade anyone who likes Android from enjoying themselves, but I also won't dissuade anyone frpm.avoiding it as much as possible.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-17-19 03:18 PM

Well, given the recent news suggesting the end of BlackBerry on Android with no more BlackBerry Mobile devices expected, no one can accuse you of shilling for BBMo anymore!

It's obvious you genuinely like Android. So, while we continue to disagree on Android's (de)merits, we agree that all your opinions are, as you've always said, your own.

:-)

10-17-19 03:25 PM
    Well, given the recent news suggesting the end of BlackBerry on Android with no more BlackBerry Mobile devices expected, no one can accuse you of shilling for BBMo anymore!

It's obvious you genuinely like Android. So, while we continue to disagree on Android's (de)merits, we agree that all your opinions are, as you've always said, your own.

:-)

I always found the accusation rather comical. Lol.

I've been accused of shilling and hating on the same day, in the same thread, countless times.
    10-17-19 03:32 PM
    It's just too busy, ugly and noisy.

It's a commercial product, that monetizes your time, attention and personal data.
    It doesn't have to be. Preference is preference though I guess.
    10-18-19 03:15 PM
    It doesn't have to be. Preference is preference though I guess.
    Tell me how to do the following, please:

1). Prevent the reply and reply all controls from disappearing when I scroll through an email in the hub.

2) Remove the format controls from the bottom of the compose screen

3) Make it so I can swipe to my list of accounts without having to stretch my thumb all the way to the left bezel

4) Swipe to the Hub inbox from an open email

5) eliminate all notifications from appearing in the notification tray, but still view them all on demand whenever I like

6) Open the Hub from any screen in any app with a simple swipe and scan though 6 different accounts with one hand.

7) Display the sender's name in an email at the top of the screen, above the subject line.

8) Tell me, without having to click on the header if I was cc'd or bcc'd in an email

9) Make the LED cycle through colors for each account with unread messages in the Hub

10) create a different notification profile for being in an internal meeting vs a client meeting.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that there are too many needless controls and not enough useful information in the Android implementation of the Hub; too many spammy notifications that, if I turn them off, I can never inspect later; not enough notification profiles for different contexts in my work; unusable one-handed interface, etc.

You can dismiss all of this as "preference" If you want. But for me, the fundamental value proposition of using a mobile phone for email is different.

In BBOS and BB10, I handled 99.9% of all email via my handset (over two million emails received and more than one million sent over 15 years). With Android, I handle less than 20% on my handset. It's just not as productive an environment for me.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-19-19 at 12:17 PM.
    10-18-19 05:00 PM
    You can make the icons look like the old ones. I did this originally and actually liked the look I was used to; but I found out the "real ones" work better, so alas I had to revert back to the usual ones.
    10-18-19 06:46 PM
    And doesn't nova launcher let you do swiping?
    10-19-19 09:23 AM
    And doesn't nova launcher let you do swiping?
    Yes. You can also add swiping gestures to the BlackBerry Launcher will an app too.
    10-19-19 09:44 AM
    Tell me how to do the following, please:

1). Prevent the reply and reply all controls from disappearing when I scroll through an email.in the hub.

2) Remove the format controls from the bottom of the compose screen

3) Make it so I can swipe to my list of accounts without having to stretch my thumb all the way to the left bezel

4) Swipe to the Hub inbox from an open email

5) eliminate all notifications from appearing in the notification tray, but still view them all on demand whenever I like

6) Open the Hub from any screen in any app with a simple swipe and scan though 6 different accounts with one hand.

7) Display the sender's name in an email at the top of the screen, above the subject line.

8) Tell me, without having to click on the header if I was cc'd or bcc'd in an email

9) Make the LED cycle through colors for each account with unread messages in the Hub

10) create a different notification profile for being in an internal meeting vs a client meeting.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that there are too many needless controls and not enough useful information in the Android implementation of the Hub; too many spammy notifications that, if I turn them off, I can never inspect later; not enough notification profiles for different contexts in my work; unusable one-ha interface, etc.

In BBOS and BB10, I handled 99.9% of all email via my handset (over two million emails received and more than one million sent over 15 years). With Android, I handle less than 20% on my handset. It's just not as productive an environment.
    1, 2, 3; these things don't bother me at all, I don't know if there is a way to feedback to BlackBerry to improve the app?

4) Use convenience key. Or if you want a swipe geture use an app like All In One Gestures.

5) You can 'snooze' notifications if you want. I have my phone set up so double press of the spacebar drops the notification shade from anywhere.

6) See 4 to launch hub from anywhere. Scrolling accounts takes a little more effort. I keep the outlook and gmail apps and use the speed key if I want to look at those accounts with two button presses. You can also manage different views from within Hub.

7) If you mean from your inbox see this info there is an option under settings > display > message list layout. In an email for me the information is all there, perhaps not in the same layout you'd prefer but it's easy to get used to.

8) Agreed. Not sure how this is possible without opening an email.

9) You might be able to manage this with an app like Lightflow. Maybe.

10) you can manage this a few ways. I use a combination of things including double pressing “Q” to toggle DND, and Tasker profiles for the rest.

Un-usable one handed, agreed. I think you can say that about most smart phones nowadays.

Admittedly your "20%" is about the max of traffic I can expect to receive so maybe I only find it useful because I am a comparatively light user (still feels like a lot to me!).

I used to have a BlackBerry Curve years ago and now Find the Key² to have all of the productivity and then some for what I need.

No platform is perfect, but Android is by far the most customizable. Takes a lot of effort to get the most of it though...
    10-19-19 02:16 PM
    1, 2, 3; these things don't bother me at all, I don't know if there is a way to feedback to BlackBerry to improve the app?

4) Use convenience key. Or if you want a swipe geture use an app like All In One Gestures.

5) You can 'snooze' notifications if you want. I have my phone set up so double press of the spacebar drops the notification shade from anywhere.

6) See 4 to launch hub from anywhere. Scrolling accounts takes a little more effort. I keep the outlook and gmail apps and use the speed key if I want to look at those accounts with two button presses. You can also manage different views from within Hub.

7) If you mean from your inbox see this info there is an option under settings > display > message list layout. In an email for me the information is all there, perhaps not in the same layout you'd prefer but it's easy to get used to.

8) Agreed. Not sure how this is possible without opening an email.

9) You might be able to manage this with an app like Lightflow. Maybe.

10) you can manage this a few ways. I use a combination of things including double pressing “Q” to toggle DND, and Tasker profiles for the rest.

Un-usable one handed, agreed. I think you can say that about most smart phones nowadays.

Admittedly your "20%" is about the max of traffic I can expect to receive so maybe I only find it useful because I am a comparatively light user (still feels like a lot to me!).

I used to have a BlackBerry Curve years ago and now Find the Key² to have all of the productivity and then some for what I need.

No platform is perfect, but Android is by far the most customizable. Takes a lot of effort to get the most of it though...
    Thank you for taking the time to offer suggestions!

Alas, I've experimented pretty extensively with most of the items and apps you suggested. For many, such as the LED and notifications, there simply is no solution because Android doesn't support it.

Another example is I really don't want to have to deal with the "push-style" notification tray ever, for any reason. It's too obtrusive and interferes with my concentration. I really liked the way that the Hub in BB10 had a separate channel for notifications so that I could review them all several times a day when I wanted to but ignore them the rest of the time. In Android, my only option is to completely shut down notifications, but then there's no way to "pull" them when I want them.

Over the past 27 months, I have pretty much optimized my KEYone so that it works the way I want it to, but it just doesn't let me work as fast and as well as my BB10 phones.

Android's attitude that email, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes are just "apps" with the same permissions and settings as all other apps, instead of an integrated part of the OS with priority as the primary functions of the phone is the root cause of the problem. And the fact that their is little commercial value to Google for my use of my own, private data in those applications means that my issues will likely never be resolved.

That's just the way the market moved. Everyone wants to give me "free" services for my private information and would rather spam and annoy me with their crap than let me pay monthly for a simple, quiet and productive environment where I can run my business in peace.

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. I wish they were more helpful!

10-19-19 02:35 PM
    I always found the accusation rather comical. Lol.

I've been accused of shilling and hating on the same day, in the same thread, countless times.
    Its funny how that happens. While I may disagree with you on many things. I have always found your advice solid and direct. I guess you are special many hats worn today....lol
    11-22-19 08:41 PM
    My KeyOne Black Ed is totally fine. Love it to bits. I've learned tricks how to make it work faster coming from BB10 and iOS
    11-27-19 10:43 AM