There's an app called Termux which gives you a Linux environment on the phone. But these combinations should also work with other terminal apps or even SSH apps.

For these to work, you must have the Ctrl-key enabled on the hardware keyboard. I have mine on the right shift key as I don't use it for Shift. So whenever I write "Ctrl", I actually mean the remapped Shift key on the K1's keyboard.

• Ctrl + p — previous command/history (usually Up arrow on full keyboards)
    • Ctrl + n — next command/history (usually Down arrow)
    • Ctrl + f — forward one character (Right arrow)
    • Ctrl + b — back one character (Left arrow)
    • Ctrl + r — reverse history search
    • Ctrl + i — auto-completion (Tab)
    • Ctrl + l — clear screen
    • Ctrl + d — EOF, exits session
    • Ctrl + z — pause process, type "fg" to resume it, "bg" to send it to background
    • Ctrl + c — Abort command, can also be used to get back to Normal mode in vi/vim/neovim (similar but not the same as ESC)
    • Ctrl + w — delete word left of cursor
    • Ctrl + a — jump to beginning of line (Home key)
    • Ctrl + e — jump to end of line (End key)
    sharkbyte_49 likes this.
    06-04-17 09:36 AM
    There's an app called Termux which gives you a Linux environment on the phone. But these combinations should also work with other terminal apps or even SSH apps.

For these to work, you must have the Ctrl-key enabled on the hardware keyboard. I have mine on the right shift key as I don't use it for Shift. So whenever I write "Ctrl", I actually mean the remapped Shift key on the K1's keyboard.

• Ctrl + p — previous command/history (usually Up arrow on full keyboards)
    • Ctrl + n — next command/history (usually Down arrow)
    • Ctrl + f — forward one character (Right arrow)
    • Ctrl + b — back one character (Left arrow)
    • Ctrl + r — reverse history search
    • Ctrl + i — auto-completion (Tab)
    • Ctrl + l — clear screen
    • Ctrl + d — EOF, exits session
    • Ctrl + z — pause process, type "fg" to resume it, "bg" to send it to background
    • Ctrl + c — Abort command, can also be used to get back to Normal mode in vi/vim/neovim (similar but not the same as ESC)
    • Ctrl + w — delete word left of cursor
    • Ctrl + a — jump to beginning of line (Home key)
    • Ctrl + e — jump to end of line (End key)
    GNUROOT Debian is another application providing a full Debian GNU/Linux environment for non-rooted Google Android devices. I have used Termux as well. I am not sure which I like more.
    06-04-17 02:21 PM
    I am not sure which I like more.
    Termux has the Termux:API plugin which allows you to run different Android actions (open a dialog for user input, send a file to an app, etc.) from the Linux shell. This allows you to script a lot of things. I didn't find anything about such features for GNURoot.
    06-04-17 04:36 PM
    Termux has the Termux:API plugin which allows you to run different Android actions (open a dialog for user input, send a file to an app, etc.) from the Linux shell. This allows you to script a lot of things. I didn't find anything about such features for GNURoot.
    True. With GNUROOT we can install ssh / scp / sftp / ftp to transfer files although not a direct feed to external applications in the same way as Termux with Termux:API. There is an XServer / XWindows option in GNUROOT Debian which might allow dialogue boxes.
    06-04-17 05:58 PM
    Is there a way to have a real alt key that works with emacs?
    06-09-17 08:12 PM
    Is there a way to have a real alt key that works with emacs?
    If you can manage to handle the key chords of emacs on a K1, wow. Although I would be too nervous to use emacs via SSH on a mobile device for fear of creating a rogue emacs if the key combinations get messed up.

 C L A S S I C
    06-09-17 08:48 PM