A long press of a key produces a capital letter (or may also bring up a list of accented letters) whenever you want. Is there a way to similarly force a letter to be lower case, in particular at the start of a sentence?

For example, when entering a new contact, there are some company names that start with a lower case. The KeyOne forces you to type that letter twice, double-tap the keyboard to get cursor mode, then back up and erase. That's a lot of action for one little lowercase letter. Same thing when entering info into input fields on web pages -- the init cap is always there.

I've experimented with turning off the auto cap function globally:

Languages and Input -> Keyboard Settings -> BlackBerry Keyboard Settings -> Prediction and Correction -> Auto capitalization (off)

... but that means you have to long press at the start of every new sentence to get the usual init cap, which gets boring, fast.

Is there another way? Thanks!
    03-03-18 08:09 AM
    If u hit the shift key again it should make it a lowercase.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-04-18 04:06 AM
    A long press of a key produces a capital letter (or may also bring up a list of accented letters) whenever you want. Is there a way to similarly force a letter to be lower case, in particular at the start of a sentence?

For example, when entering a new contact, there are some company names that start with a lower case. The KeyOne forces you to type that letter twice, double-tap the keyboard to get cursor mode, then back up and erase. That's a lot of action for one little lowercase letter. Same thing when entering info into input fields on web pages -- the init cap is always there.

I've experimented with turning off the auto cap function globally:

Languages and Input -> Keyboard Settings -> BlackBerry Keyboard Settings -> Prediction and Correction -> Auto capitalization (off)

... but that means you have to long press at the start of every new sentence to get the usual init cap, which gets boring, fast.

Is there another way? Thanks!
    Yep! There's an upward arrow at the top of the screen next to the battery/wifi/alarm/bluetooth indicators - the up arrow means your next character will be capitalized - or ALT will show up there also, meaning your next character will be a symbol.

to make it so your characters aren't capitalized - just press the shift button before starting to type
    FF22 likes this.
    03-04-18 08:17 AM
    Wow! Thanks Dwonder and Leuttra in particular for the especially detailed guidance. I never noticed the hollow-solid-absent up-arrow at the top of the screen nestled amongst all the other indicators. That is terrific that it responds to the Shift key. It works like a charm.

This was a nagging bother since I acquired the phone. But now I can easily start a sentence with a lower case letter. solved!

Thanks again!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-04-18 08:49 AM
    Wow! Thanks Dwonder and Leuttra in particular for the especially detailed guidance. I never noticed the hollow-solid-absent up-arrow at the top of the screen nestled amongst all the other indicators. That is terrific that it responds to the Shift key. It works like a charm.

This was a nagging bother since I acquired the phone. But now I can easily start a sentence with a lower case letter. solved!

Thanks again!
    Welcome!

Also: if you double press the shift key, you WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS until you double press it again to turn it off - same with ALT if you need to type a long string of numbers 1234567890 - the icons at the top of the screen will have an underscore

:-)
    03-04-18 10:09 AM

Thanks again!
    No problem. And yea, my short answer was on account of it being 4 in the morning and after being up all I day, I didn't have the energy to be as descriptive, lol.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-04-18 10:47 AM