Au contraire. Your lease is in fact a contract. You are bound by mutually agreed-upon terms.

If you want to break the contract, you must abide by the terms--which means paying out a lump sum for the privilege.

This is no different than 10 years ago. You were in a contract--and if you wanted to break the contract, you paid out a lump sum for the privilege. Sound familiar?

10 years ago, the lump sum was called "early termination fee". Now, it's an...early termination fee.

The nature of the contract went away from phone service, and over to the phone itself. Regardless, it is a contract that ties you to the carrier.

So if you don't consider yourself to be under contract today, then you similarly weren't under contract 10 years ago.

Regardless, T-Mobile has found a way to put you in the same boat as they put people 10 years ago: they offer a way to do business with them, then tell you it will cost you a lump sum to stop doing business with them.

Surprise!
    Perhaps you missed his point where carriers now offer to buy out your lump sum owed to your current provider if you switch to them. Unlike 10 years ago.

Posted with my  Classic
    05-23-17 11:45 PM
    Perhaps you missed his point where carriers now offer to buy out your lump sum owed to your current provider if you switch to them. Unlike 10 years ago.

Posted with my  Classic
    No, not at all--because (a) that's not a guarantee from any given carrier at any given time, so he carries all the liability for jumping ship himself; and (b) it was no different 10 years ago, with service-based contracts.

When you jump in bed asking the carrier to finance your phone, for whatever reason, you've voluntarily entered into a contract that keeps you with the carrier--just like 10 years ago. Nothing's different.
    05-24-17 04:16 AM
    "I'm not on a contract", why do I hear this so much? Getting a phone from a carrier when you're not buying it in FULL is a contract.. Call it a lease, a tab.. Whatever. It's a contract..
    It's a month to month contract only when you buy from carrier at full price. So you can dump them with 30 days notice. You will also have to get you phone unlocked for around $50 (in Canada)
    If you don't pay full cost of phone you are tied to that carrier for two years and until you pay out the remaining cost of phone.
    So not worth it anymore unless you know you will always be with that carrier, then for sure just do it and get the phone for less up front cost.
    05-24-17 08:57 AM
    Not seeing any US carriers carrying the Keyone worries me this will hurt sales for sure.
    05-24-17 08:58 AM
    Not seeing any US carriers carrying the Keyone worries me this will hurt sales for sure.
    Hurt what sales? The few who will buy the KEYone are those that want a PKB. That ship sailed years ago.

Posted via CB10
    theBanker514 likes this.
    05-24-17 09:18 AM
    we are getting derailed from the initial subject, but JOD definitely benefits you if you switch phones often.

and so what if that is a contract called a no contract. I have 5 voice lines, a watch with a phone number, and a hotspot, and my bill is under $200. That includes payment plans for 2 phones, and a watch. That is pretty sweet.

That being said, I still have no idea if T-Mobile is getting the phone or not. That text screenshot above doesn't really clear anything up. I dont see any mention of "yes we will be selling the KEYone in store"
    05-24-17 10:45 AM
    we are getting derailed from the initial subject, but JOD definitely benefits you if you switch phones often.

and so what if that is a contract called a no contract. I have 5 voice lines, a watch with a phone number, and a hotspot, and my bill is under $200. That includes payment plans for 2 phones, and a watch. That is pretty sweet.

That being said, I still have no idea if T-Mobile is getting the phone or not. That text screenshot above doesn't really clear anything up. I dont see any mention of "yes we will be selling the KEYone in store"
    I've seen one thread that had a guy taking screenshots of a Facebook conversation between him and the store manager saying it will be out is early June with displays up on the 29th...

Makes me suspicious though since there were no priv displays...
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    05-24-17 10:48 AM
    I've seen one thread that had a guy taking screenshots of a Facebook conversation between him and the store manager saying it will be out is early June with displays up on the 29th...

I'm doubtful about this too, only because it seems weird that there would be a store display on the 29th if they weren't selling it that day??
    05-24-17 10:54 AM
    "I'm not on a contract", why do I hear this so much? Getting a phone from a carrier when you're not buying it in FULL is a contract.. Call it a lease, a tab.. Whatever. It's a contract..
    One reason you might hear "I'm not on a contract" frequently on CrackBerry is that TMo has not sold the latest BlackBerry phones, so if people like myself are on TMo, we might have bought our phones from Amazon, ShopBlackBerry or BestBuy, and add our devices as BYOD to our TMo accounts.
    Nels likes this.
    05-24-17 11:39 AM
    One reason you might hear "I'm not on a contract" frequently on CrackBerry is that TMo has not sold the latest BlackBerry phones, so if people like myself are on TMo, we might have bought our phones from Amazon, ShopBlackBerry or BestBuy, and add our devices as BYOD to our TMo accounts.
    Clearly that's not what I meant.... Don't be so dense. Omg.
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-24-17 12:27 PM
    Clearly that's not what I meant.... Don't be so dense. Omg.
    Being dense works both ways.

You clearly should know that the TMo selection of phones are not our only choices. We can and do buy our phones in many cases without the Jump or whatever other purchase plan that TMo offers.

OMG
    05-24-17 02:01 PM
    While you have a BIT more freedom now, essentially you ARE still locked in via your "carrier financing agreement" or lease, if you prefer that term. Yes you have the freedom to leave the carrier at any time with out an ETF (Early Termination Fee), you DO have to immediately pay off the remaining balance on your phone. So it pretty much has the same effect as the old contracts used to!
    05-26-17 08:42 AM
    I like the new DIGITS program. Helps me not to transfer SIM cards every time. Will use my future KEYone as my main phone and my iPhone 6s as back up on Magenta. Gosh. I was preaching for patience, but damn. Impatience is scratching my back.
    05-26-17 02:23 PM
    I like the new DIGITS program. Helps me not to transfer SIM cards every time. Will use my future KEYone as my main phone and my iPhone 6s as back up on Magenta. Gosh. I was preaching for patience, but damn. Impatience is scratching my back.
    I assume it's some sort of VOIP app that you have to install on your device. Do you have any experience with it or were you part of the beta? How's call quality? Is there any lag when establishing a connection or its instantaneous?
    05-27-17 03:04 AM
    I assume it's some sort of VOIP app that you have to install on your device. Do you have any experience with it or were you part of the beta? How's call quality? Is there any lag when establishing a connection or its instantaneous?
    Haven't tried it unfortunately. Apologies!
    05-28-17 04:20 PM

Yes this is very questionable as I'm sure BlackBerry mobile would have revealed this information by now.
    05-28-17 05:02 PM
    Yes this is very questionable as I'm sure BlackBerry mobile would have revealed this information by now.
    The Priv is still at T-Mobile stores, I posted a picture on here when I was in the store last time. The Priv is not online though from what they told me. I'm the one who posted the picture, and my buddy wouldn't tell me they were getting it if they weren't. He did say it's been pushed back to June 5th but it's still going to be at T-Mobile Stores. Att and Verizon are NOT going to sale it.
    05-28-17 05:17 PM
    The Priv is still at T-Mobile stores, I posted a picture on here when I was in the store last time. The Priv is not online though from what they told me. I'm the one who posted the picture, and my buddy wouldn't tell me they were getting it if they weren't. He did say it's been pushed back to June 5th but it's still going to be at T-Mobile Stores. Att and Verizon are NOT going to sale it.
    Not disputing the Priv being there but don't you think this would have been announced by BlackBerry mobile by now?
    05-28-17 05:20 PM
    Not disputing the Priv being there but don't you think this would have been announced by BlackBerry mobile by now?
    No, because they only ever announce Samsung or Apple. They didn't even announce the Priv that I seen.
    05-28-17 05:22 PM
    My buddy will have his T-Mobile KEYone this week and I'll get some pictures from him and post. I see what all I can have him send me to post.
    05-28-17 05:23 PM
    No, because they only ever announce Samsung or Apple. They didn't even announce the Priv that I seen.
    BlackBerry mobile has stated where the KEYone will be available. I don't see why they wouldn't mention T-Mobile.
    05-28-17 05:23 PM
    The Priv is still at T-Mobile stores
    Maybe in your locality. Not in mine. I've never seen a Priv in a store.
    05-28-17 05:25 PM
    BlackBerry mobile has stated where the KEYone will be available. I don't see why they wouldn't mention T-Mobile.
    Well if you look at TCLS twitter you'll see it says more carriers tbt
    05-28-17 05:26 PM
    I can't imagine my buddy telling me it was coming to T-Mobile when it's not, he's told me about every BlackBerry coming before it was announced and he's been right everytime. Hopefully he doesn't break that trend lol.
    Last edited by hoytbowhunter; 05-28-17 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
    05-28-17 05:28 PM
    I am quite interested in finding out how the digits program works, too since I am on T-Mobile.
    05-29-17 12:22 AM
120 ... 2345