Unfortunately, if Verizon doesn't sell it, nothing BlackBerry Mobile can do about it. Even if able to get a Verizon SIM card into device, it will still be crippled at some level.

Posted via CB10
    Not according to some users on here who have chatted with Verizon support stating you will be able to buy CDMA unlocked and run on Verizon no problem.

I take these reports with a grain of salt, but have heard throughout 2016 and into 2017 that Verizon was going to update their policy on unlocked devices which would allow this to happen.
    05-11-17 08:56 AM
    Not according to some users on here who have chatted with Verizon support stating you will be able to buy CDMA unlocked and run on Verizon no problem.

I take these reports with a grain of salt, but have heard throughout 2016 and into 2017 that Verizon was going to update their policy on unlocked devices which would allow this to happen.
    As of right now, tomorrow. With Verizon, always tomorrow. As the saying goes, tomorrow never comes.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-17 09:21 AM

I don't think crippled was the right word to use.... what isn't clear is if non Verizon sold devices would qualify for what has generally been features only activated on Carrier devices... like Wi-Fi Calling or other Advanced calling features. Just have to see....

For me, if the KEYone isn't a Carrier sold phone... then it won't be bought by Enterprise in large numbers. Large or small, Carrier's still offer subsidies for Enterprise customer, and they still are a key part of the whole support process. Not sure Enterprise is ready to change that... just for BlackBerry Mobile.
    05-11-17 09:23 AM
    I thought that weeks ago when the phone passed through the FCC, there was talk of seeing 'Verizon' specifically mentioned in what was approved, yes?
    05-11-17 09:58 AM
    I thought that weeks ago when the phone passed through the FCC, there was talk of seeing 'Verizon' specifically mentioned in what was approved, yes?
    That's means a model has been created for Verizon, should they choose to order it.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-17 10:02 AM
    That's means a model has been created for Verizon, should they choose to order it.
    The KEYone model BBB100-3, also known as the US V2 version is for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.
    05-11-17 10:06 AM
    I don't think crippled was the right word to use.... what isn't clear is if non Verizon sold devices would qualify for what has generally been features only activated on Carrier devices... like Wi-Fi Calling or other Advanced calling features. Just have to see....

For me, if the KEYone isn't a Carrier sold phone... then it won't be bought by Enterprise in large numbers. Large or small, Carrier's still offer subsidies for Enterprise customer, and they still are a key part of the whole support process. Not sure Enterprise is ready to change that... just for BlackBerry Mobile.
    Understandable on advanced features. I don't use WiFi calling as I'm on unlimited minutes and I'm never in an area without service and wifi, but would love to have visual voicemail if available so I could stop using YouMail.

As far as being available via Verizon so that it could be bought in large numbers for an enterprise rollout, I see your point here as well. I'm crossing my fingers it is available through Verizon and not in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year. I don't know anything that goes into getting a device carrier approved but I can't see why Verizon wouldn't want this device available to their customers. Seeing the device already having a CDMA variant I can't imagine it's too difficult to get the device on Verizon.

If Verizon is to allow an unlocked device on its network it will at least sell more devices than it wouldn't seeing the number of people on Verizon that want this device.
    05-11-17 10:08 AM
    The KEYone model BBB100-3, also known as the US V2 version is for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.
    Right, but it doesn't mean they've committed to ordering, does it?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-17 10:08 AM
    No, and it doesn't mean it will be sold unlocked on the 31st.
    05-11-17 10:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've no idea how hard it is to develop & certify the BBB100-3, maybe I'm viewing BlackBerry as more niche than it is.

My thoughts are more for T-Mobile requesting an exclusive deal, and TCL agreeing because it saves them the bother of producing the BBB100-3 with the hope of recouping sales through T-Mobile. T-Mobile gets the customers.

Unfortunately people like TNewton who need the sprint coverage are casualties of this and end up on Android...
    05-11-17 10:29 AM
    I've no idea how hard it is to develop & certify the BBB100-3, maybe I'm viewing BlackBerry as more niche than it is.

My thoughts are more for T-Mobile requesting an exclusive deal, and TCL agreeing because it saves them the bother of producing the BBB100-3 with the hope of recouping sales through T-Mobile. T-Mobile gets the customers.

Unfortunately people like TNewton who need the sprint coverage are casualties of this and end up on Android...
    If T-Mobile carries the KEYone, I would expect to see it on their website, instead of in their stores, which are basically iPhone and Samsung showrooms.

I do think that Verizon would get enterprise accounts to order more quantities of the KEYone over what T-Mobile sales will be.
    05-11-17 11:04 AM
    Folks,

There is a fairly solid rumor making the interweb circuit today regarding T-Mobile and TCL cutting a deal for a line of T-Mobile branded cell phones. Does this bode well for the KEYone? Obviously they have and are going to have an even closer relationship with TCL, so a deal to carry the KEYone should be too hard to get done!
    Looks like it will just be T-Mobile selling their own branded devices that are made by TCL.

The first of such phones by T-Mobile will be the T-Mobile REVVL T1, which sports a 5.5-inch 1080p IPS display, 3,000 mAh battery, fingerprint sensor and 13 MP camera. That device is expected to be followed up by the launch of the T-Mobile REVVL T2 and REVVL T3 PRO, though specs for both have yet to materialize. "
    Exclusive: T-Mobile REVVL T1 is the Uncarrier's new affordable flagship
    05-11-17 11:53 AM
    If T-Mobile carries the KEYone, I would expect to see it on their website, instead of in their stores, which are basically iPhone and Samsung showrooms.

I do think that Verizon would get enterprise accounts to order more quantities of the KEYone over what T-Mobile sales will be.
    I'd best get back to making buildings work and give up on cellphone strategising lol!
    05-11-17 12:08 PM
    Looks like it will just be T-Mobile selling their own branded devices that are made by TCL.

Exclusive: T-Mobile REVVL T1 is the Uncarrier's new affordable flagship
    Yes I'm aware of that. I was just speculating that, because of those close relationship it MIGHT bode well for them carrying another TLC product, the BlackBerry Mobile KEYone. But yes I realize the deal itself is for something else.
    mister2d likes this.
    05-11-17 01:08 PM
    Are you really talking about Verizon's exclusionary policies or industry practices? The Google Pixel retailed only a Verizon but sold unlocked through Google Store and works on all the major USA networks.

Out of the gate it had T-mobile ( yes, Project Fi made that a priority ) so "retail lock up" and functionality are really two different dimensions.
    Pixel and Pixel XL will support T-Mobile and Verizon WiFi calling

Phones can be certified without necessarily being some kind of high "drama" retail commitment. Making it work and haggling over how to split the sales margin are two different things.

As long as the phone is certified (which can cost $1-3M ) the calling features should work. WiFI and VoLTE are basically how 5G (and advanced 4G using internet protocol ) systems are going to work. Cell providers blocking that is exceeding dubious move on their parts. It can be very shady too because LTE license comes with a requirement to allow other phones on. As the voice services go internet protocol based the "dog ate my homework those phones aren't compatible" excuses are going to get weak as water. The carriers can either figure out how to deal with unlocked phones now or later but the freight train is coming. Growth at AT&T and Verizon is running into problems; the USA market is pretty saturated. Playing dumb isn't going to help them.

AT&T blocked the Pixel but some folks have hacked and ID of an AT&T android phone with same base chipset and it worked. AT&T blocks unlocked phones from the same vendor/model. The whole "advanced features" hooked to retail is just ********* vendor shenanigans. If BBMobile pays the full price for phone qualification (i.e., closer to the $3M as opposed to $1M ) then I bet both Verizon and AT&T would pass it through. I'd bet they actually won't like the retail risk/overhead of selling the phone to "random users" off the street.

With Verizon the full stack of their bloatware is also a two sided coin. You are then stuck with Verizon's update queues.... which for BlackBerry have sucked really bad. Really bad.

Again, subsidies and retail show space are two different dimensions. If the phone is certified, Verizon enterprise sales could just be a bulk buyer from the main USA distributor of the KeyOne.
    05-11-17 11:02 PM
    1. They have already done the R&D on the phones because there on the spec list. So no savings. At this point it is money lost because wouldn't sell the phone variant they already worked on.

Furthermore there are not radically different parts. The SD625 handles all of the major USA networks. There are some minor RF changes (and some minor licensing payments variations ), but vast majority of this stuff is all handled in firmware. The major differences in costs is getting whitelisted certified on the networks. If can be expensive $1-3 M but if sell 300K-500K phones it amounts to $6-10. For a $549 phones that isn't a backbreaker bill of material cost.

2. Exclusivity deals primarily benefit the carriers, not the phone vendors.

I think folks are grasping at straws if think the KeyOne is a "pull people out of their carrier" phone. It isn't. It is reasonably good phone at what it does, but it is not revolutionary. When the iPhone 7 drops $549 (or pretty close) in late September and the S7 is below that it is going to have some very serious headwinds. It may hold its own in the targeted user base, but that targeted user base isn't going to substantially change the subscription balances of the major players. More customers will be shifting over plans than phones. That is the current market's primary driver.

For example, retail showroom of the Google Pixel this past 8-9 months didn't save Verizon from the recent drop in users.
    05-11-17 11:23 PM

To be fair, you won't see those features working on At&t either unless they decide to sell it as well. Disappointing for sure, but the way it goes with the big two.
    05-12-17 01:43 AM

It will be in T-Mobile stores the 24th.
    05-13-17 11:36 AM
    It will be in T-Mobile stores the 24th.
    How can you confirm?
    05-13-17 12:02 PM
    How can you confirm?
    My buddy is manager at T-Mobile and I poste a picture above of what he told me.
    05-13-17 12:11 PM
    My buddy is manager at T-Mobile and I poste a picture above of what he told me.
    Well, you said you would post a picture, but you actually didn't.

If you do, you should be sure to redact your buddy's name from it since it might get him in trouble. And then he wouldn't be your buddy anymore.
    05-13-17 12:20 PM
    Well, you said you would post a picture, but you actually didn't.

If you do, you should be sure to redact your buddy's name from it since it might get him in trouble. And then he wouldn't be your buddy anymore.
    I posted it but removed it because I didn't remove his name lol. It was on here though.
    05-13-17 12:25 PM
    I posted it but removed it because I didn't remove his name lol. It was on here though.
    I think I saw that. On the other side of the coin I was in a store in Manhattan and the sales person was adamant the KEYone would not be sold by TMO. I think your posts are more accurate.
    05-13-17 01:06 PM
    My buddy said he'll send pictures of the KEYone once it's arrived at his Store. I might just buy it there and join T-Mobile, but I might stay with att and just buy from BlackBerry like I always do.
    05-13-17 01:08 PM
    T-Mobile has been great for me.
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-13-17 02:24 PM
120 1234 ...