Allowing custom ROMS would invalidate a key security feature of BlackBerry phones.
    Wouldn't you agree that not getting security patches invalidates a key security feature as well?
    09-25-19 08:00 AM
    Wouldn't you agree that not getting security patches invalidates a key security feature as well?
    No BlackBerry-branded phone in history has ever had a boatloader unlocked - and it won't start now.
    09-25-19 08:06 AM
    No BlackBerry-branded phone in history has ever had a boatloader unlocked - and it won't start now.
    So, how insecure does this phone become over time without security patches? The problem here is that one could upgrade to the Key2, but then a year from now, have the exact same problem.
    Last edited by JAL1; 09-25-19 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
    09-25-19 08:13 AM
    So, how insecure does this. phone become over time without security patches? The problem here is that one could upgrade to the Key2, but then a year from now, how the exact same problem.
    There is no perfect answer to your question. BlackBerry Android has built-in resiliency to prevent root and elevated-privilege exploits. So how does that balance against lack of patches, and for how long?
    09-25-19 08:18 AM
    Thank you.
    09-25-19 08:21 AM
    Yes, security patches are important, but the providers of custom ROMS would have to be vigilant in releasing them and that would put one at the mercy of hobbyists who would have little to zero motivation to do so for legacy hardware.
    09-25-19 09:41 AM
    Security will be at the hands of it owner.....
    09-25-19 04:41 PM
    Looks like there an update....
    09-30-19 06:19 PM
    I just got the Sept 5th update today. ACD561
    09-30-19 06:28 PM
    Same here.
    09-30-19 06:29 PM
    I tried forcing but no love yet. It may be since my AT&T SIM isn’t fully active now...
    09-30-19 07:16 PM
    Updating mine now - sure Pie would be nice - but Oreo runs nice, too... I've got an old crap tablet running Jellybean - it's ok as well - not secure, but I'm not dumb enough to bank on it... and I don't have it tied to the same google account...
    I know google peddles having everything interrelated - and I get how that can be handy, but the real security is being smart about how you use your devices.
    09-30-19 07:43 PM
    Keyone is sold with https://androidenterprisepartners.wi...om/device/#!/1 Android enterprise.

That means 3 years security Updates after last official Sale Date.
    In Austria this was 06/2018 - we stuck at April Update on A1.net
    10-02-19 02:13 PM
    Keyone is sold with https://androidenterprisepartners.wi...om/device/#!/1 Android enterprise.

There’s some discrepancy as I don’t believe the KEYone was introduced with this expectation.
    10-02-19 03:46 PM

Well, what is required to remain in the Enterprise Recommended program is up to Google.

In the meantime, BBMo only promised 24 months of updates.
    10-02-19 03:47 PM
    There’s some discrepancy as I don’t believe the KEYone was introduced with this expectation.
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ has the Enterprise Recommended stamp, and still appears on Google's list.

However, that is between BBMo and Google, and doesn't speak to any commitment between BBMo and the end-user. BBMo was explicit in that regard - 24 months.
    10-02-19 03:48 PM

I went to the link, and then clicked on "Learn More" about the program, but didn't see anything that specified how long security updates were to come. Only the "90-day security updates" support requirement.
    10-02-19 03:54 PM
    my ATT branded Keyone just got ACD561
    10-02-19 04:00 PM
    I went to the link, and then clicked on "Learn More" about the program, but didn't see anything that specified how long security updates were to come. Only the "90-day security updates" support requirement.
    Have a look at https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/business/

The press Release from Febr. 2018 - we are in 2019 and there are Updates around - it depends on your provider

https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/tcl-...release_final/
    10-02-19 04:12 PM
    Have a look at https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/business/

The press Release from Febr. 2018 - we are in 2019 and there are Updates around - it depends on your provider

https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/tcl-...release_final/
    The BBMo site, under the security heading says:

"BlackBerry KEYone will consistently receive the latest Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months."

Never says from what point in time. And, if my math is right, 24 months isn't 3 years. Although, my 10-year-old tells me math is different now, so...

The PDF on being Android Enterprise Recommended only says "timely" updates, and one major letter OS update - which the KeyOne and Motion got since then.

That's what I'm reading.
    10-02-19 04:33 PM
    The BBMo site, under the security heading says:

"BlackBerry KEYone will consistently receive the latest Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months."

Never says from what point in time. And, if my math is right, 24 months isn't 3 years. Although, my 10-year-old tells me math is different now, so...

The PDF on being Android Enterprise Recommended only says "timely" updates, and one major letter OS update - which the KeyOne and Motion got since then.

That's what I'm reading.
    Ok we know it was sold until middle 2018 - that means there will be Updates till 062020 or longer.
    Whats the matter?
    10-02-19 04:44 PM
    Ok we know it was sold until middle 2018 - that means there will be Updates till 062020 or longer.
    Whats the matter?
    I don't see where it's said "from date of last official sale". No OEM ever says that. How is anyone to know when that is?

You keep saying it was sold until middle of 2018. Where do you get that from? AT&T is still selling the Keyone right now. How is that not still "official"?
    10-02-19 05:10 PM
    Thats's pretty GOOD, there will be Updates till 2021 - maybe we will get Android 9, because it's easier to maintenance with one Version.
    There was also a break last year until they pushed Android 8.
    Let's see
    10-02-19 05:14 PM
    Whats the matter?
    Clock always starts ticking on launch day - same as everyone else.
    10-02-19 05:22 PM
    Clock always starts ticking on launch day - same as everyone else.
    Where could we read this?
    Who says this?
    10-02-19 05:29 PM
54 123