I know there's already a similar thread for the Priv, but I assume that this time this bug is mainly occuring on the KeyOne, after updating the device.

When pressing the SYM-Key and then typing a symbol, the on-screen keyboard displaying the symbols would disappear. But now I have to press the SYM-Key again two times for it to disappear. Is there any work-around? Or do I have to wait for an update until next month?
    07-23-17 01:16 PM
    It's not broken, it's the feature they added. Some people wanted direct input from the PKB instead of it disappearing.

If you think of it, it's more nuisance to enter from symbols if they have to enable it each time. Now if you don't want to use, you can exit it by pressing back or on-screen hide key.

Btw there's also another thread on this. Some people don't like it but I'm fine with it. I like the on-screen to persist so that I can easily use swiping when I want to.
    07-24-17 05:32 AM
    If that's actually the way it should work now, they should definitely add on option to turn this feature off.
    07-24-17 04:51 PM
    If that's actually the way it should work now, they should definitely add on option to turn this feature off.
    Actually mine went from how you describe it back to it going away after entering the symbol...
    07-24-17 06:15 PM
    For those who are looking for a solution for this, just keep the Sym key pressed and choose either using PKB or on-screen character and let go the Sym key. It will hide automatically.

It makes sense to have it locked if you want to enter characters for longer periods.
    08-04-17 04:28 AM
    Unfortunately it won't hide if you're at the beginning of a word. Also it won't let you type small umlauts at the beginning of a word using a custom sym layout. To me, it just looks like it's broken.

Maybe someone could confirm whether it's a bug or a feature? @LiamQ ?
    08-04-17 07:06 AM
    Maybe I don't understand what the issue is. When press the Sym key the symbol keyboard pops up, I type whatever symbol I want #*#/, then tap on the keyboard image to make it go away. Seems pretty easy to me. I don't have to press the Sym key a multiple times to do that. Am I missing something?
    08-04-17 08:00 AM
    Maybe I don't understand what the issue is. When press the Sym key the symbol keyboard pops up, I type whatever symbol I want #*#/, then tap on the keyboard image to make it go away. Seems pretty easy to me. I don't have to press the Sym key a multiple times to do that. Am I missing something?
    What people are complaining that it used to hide automatically when you press Sym and then hit %.
    Now you keep typing and Sym characters pop-up doesn't hide automatically.

If you see my previous post (two posts above), it still auto hides if you keep the Sym button pressed and enter the symbols.
    08-04-17 08:35 AM
    A separate issue, but are they ever going to add the option to use a down-swipe gesture (a la Passport and PRIV) to show the symbol keyboard? I'm not sure why this was omitted for the KeyONE.
    08-04-17 08:49 AM
    What people are complaining that it used to hide automatically when you press Sym and then hit %.
    Now you keep typing and Sym characters pop-up doesn't hide automatically.

If you see my previous post (two posts above), it still auto hides if you keep the Sym button pressed and enter the symbols.
    Got ya. I just hit the Vkeyboard symbol instead of Sym and % to close it. One touch instead of two.
    08-04-17 08:59 AM
    I'm glad I saw this thread and I like the way the sym key is working. I have to use the vkb in bed and someday at work so I can type silently and this is a quick option to keep the vkb up. I used to use the alt+numbers on the pkb to type long numbers and it's nice to keep the vkb on the screen for long strings of numbers.
    08-04-17 09:07 AM
    For those who are looking for a solution for this, just keep the Sym key pressed and choose either using PKB or on-screen character and let go the Sym key. It will hide automatically.

It makes sense to have it locked if you want to enter characters for longer periods.
    For entering multiple symbols, simply hold it down as you enter it. It makes more sense for it to go away when you pick one if you just pressed the sym key before, makes typing one-handed more efficient...
    08-04-17 11:30 AM
    Minus that last step of needing to reach up and touch the touchscreen, and that's how it SHOULD be.
    08-04-17 11:31 AM
    Got ya. I just hit the Vkeyboard symbol instead of Sym and % to close it. One touch instead of two.
    I prefer no touch. You know, that's why I have a physical keyboard, so I don't need to constantly touch the touchscreen or have to press other buttons multiple times while I'm typing...
    08-04-17 11:32 AM
    I'm glad I saw this thread and I like the way the sym key is working. I have to use the vkb in bed and someday at work so I can type silently and this is a quick option to keep the vkb up. I used to use the alt+numbers on the pkb to type long numbers and it's nice to keep the vkb on the screen for long strings of numbers.
    Then it should be an option. Because while it's good for this one very specific situation for one specific person, the way we use the pkb 99% of the rest of the time this is annoyingly stupid...
    08-04-17 11:33 AM
    Then it should be an option. Because while it's good for this one very specific situation for one specific person, the way we use the pkb 99% of the rest of the time this is annoyingly stupid...
    I prefer the way it works now. So that's at least two people.
    08-04-17 11:38 AM
    For entering multiple symbols, simply hold it down as you enter it. It makes more sense for it to go away when you pick one if you just pressed the sym key before, makes typing one-handed more efficient...
    It depends. If you see the post above some prefer to enter numbers or use VKB with one hand. I also prefer to use the VKB instead of PKB one handed when in bed specially and to have it there makes much more sense.

In your case, you can choose the character and then from bottom right on the screen you can quickly hide the VKB.
    08-04-17 05:52 PM
    A separate issue, but are they ever going to add the option to use a down-swipe gesture (a la Passport and PRIV) to show the symbol keyboard? I'm not sure why this was omitted for the KeyONE.
    Yes initially I missed it too but it seems redundant when you have a specific hardware key. On Passport we didn't have Sym key to begin with and people complained initially about the gestures before it became second nature.
    Trust me with some use, you'll get used to the Sym key too.
    08-04-17 05:54 PM
    It depends. If you see the post above some prefer to enter numbers or use VKB with one hand. I also prefer to use the VKB instead of PKB one handed when in bed specially and to have it there makes much more sense.

In your case, you can choose the character and then from bottom right on the screen you can quickly hide the VKB.
    But you don't use the sym tray for numbers, you use alt... Double press alt and type away on numbers, no reason to make the symbols tray stay out at all...

And 99% of the times anyone actually needs the symbols tray it's for one symbol only. So you're basically adding additional steps to help the 1% of the situations at the expense of the 99%. That percent sign is a perfect example, why do I need the symbol tray to stay out to type one percent sign? And how often do we use that? Like all of the time...

Edit: And no, I might be forced to live with needing extra steps to get the same thing done, I'll never get "used" to it. I'm never one to settle. Having this as an OPTION so EVERYONE will get their way is the best solution and it should be one.
    08-04-17 06:53 PM
    I prefer the way it works now. So that's at least two people.
    Cool, and as my suggestion is for there to be an option for it, you can still keep preferring to do it that way...
    08-04-17 07:00 PM
    But you don't use the sym tray for numbers, you use alt... Double press alt and type away on numbers, no reason to make the symbols tray stay out at all...

And 99% of the times anyone actually needs the symbols tray it's for one symbol only. So you're basically adding additional steps to help the 1% of the situations at the expense of the 99%. That percent sign is a perfect example, why do I need the symbol tray to stay out to type one percent sign? And how often do we use that? Like all of the time...
    I use the VKB to swipe. So if it disappears we can't use the device in mixed mode, ie jump between VKB and PKB. It was a bigger problem at launch to not have both. Swiping on PKB is really bad and so is one hand use.

Also all gestures work on VKB, like swipe down to get back to the Symbols.

Sym option isn't just for characters. Some people also use languages and require custom options.
    08-04-17 07:02 PM

Edit: And no, I might be forced to live with needing extra steps to get the same thing done, I'll never get "used" to it. I'm never one to settle. Having this as an OPTION so EVERYONE will get their way is the best solution and it should be one.
    Could'nt agree more.
    This new "touch needed" (or also 2 clicks on sym key) thing is annoying me.

99% of the time I need only one character from the symbol table, so having to do a new action to make the vkb disappear in my case is a waste of time.

I understand though that for other people it is exactly the opposite.

The behavior (default: vkb persistence vs default: no vkb persistence) should be user selectable, so all are happy.
    08-04-17 07:40 PM
    I use the VKB to swipe. So if it disappears we can't use the device in mixed mode, ie jump between VKB and PKB. It was a bigger problem at launch to not have both. Swiping on PKB is really bad and so is one hand use.

Also all gestures work on VKB, like swipe down to get back to the Symbols.

Sym option isn't just for characters. Some people also use languages and require custom options.
    Ok, and still don't get how having the OPTION to change it depending on if you use vkb or not will somehow be detrimental to what you're wishing to do with it...
    08-04-17 07:48 PM
    Could'nt agree more.
    This new "touch needed" (or also 2 clicks on sym key) thing is annoying me.

99% of the time I need only one character from the symbol table, so having to do a new action to make the vkb disappear in my case is a waste of time.

I understand though that for other people it is exactly the opposite.

The behavior (default: vkb persistence vs default: no vkb persistence) should be user selectable, so all are happy.
    Exactly, I bought a physical keyboard phone instead of a phone with a bigger screen better for watching media because I want to use that physical keyboard, not have to jump between one and the other constantly. Having the option to switch the behavior will solve everything, not sure why some people argue as if everything should only be the way that benefits their own very specific use for it... I guess we all need to "just get used to it."
    08-04-17 07:51 PM
    Ok, and still don't get how having the OPTION to change it depending on if you use vkb or not will somehow be detrimental to what you're wishing to do with it...
    Yep agreed. The option should be there but I also understand why they did it.

For now, I can easily hide it with the on-screen option. It has become a muscle memory thing. I really don't want to lose the on-screen VKB for swiping though, that works like a charm in those situation when you can't use the PKB.

Yes we bought the phone for PKB and that's what it's used for primarily however we live in 2017 and the on-screen keyboards have evolved and can supplement in some cases.
    08-04-17 08:10 PM
46 12