So keyone battery swolen, feels like mush, popped off back plate partially.

I ordered a replacement battery and viewed YouTube... looks to be simple.

How likely is it the tabs are broken for the backplate? If so, are the eBay backs OK (are the bb logo designs on back silvery or are they white as it looks in photos, for instance)?

I guess I'll change the battery first and see. Then I'll look for back plate advice here if plate doesn't snap in well.

TIA
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 09-17-19 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Messy phone autocorrect interference
    09-16-19 11:43 AM
    any thought it I continue using KEYᵒⁿᵉ with swolen battery shown as "healthy" but feels like a bag of fluid? Burst risk? Fire?

is this the TCL version of "killing of the first born" ???
    09-16-19 11:53 AM
    I have the silver Keyone and it did the same thing ☹️ I found a black Keyone very reasonable and bought it, still thinking about getting a replacement battery!
    09-16-19 06:04 PM
    any thought it I continue using KEYᵒⁿᵉ with swolen battery shown as "healthy" but feels like a bag of fluid? Burst risk? Fire?

is this the TCL version of "killing of the first born" ???
    Don't use it if the battery is swollen! Yes risk of burn/explosion/chemical burn. You can get a back and battery for cheap online. Much better to risk that than a battery that is already dangerous.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-16-19 09:45 PM
    Awaiting for the outcome of this. You are all forewarned.
    09-17-19 12:42 AM
    Does use of a USB-C QI receiver favor battery swelling for some reason?
    09-17-19 08:55 AM
    Just an FYI, I got a Battery replacement for the KeyOne from Best Buy for $19.99 US

Turns out my battery wasn't "swollen" but the back plate was warped a bit, so haven't replaced it - yet.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=P7_IX_Zf
    09-17-19 09:25 AM
    as for the swolen battery (really the outer surface is ballooned out and is fluctuant), are there reports of it actually being breached? it must have had enough pressure to pop the back plate. waiting for replacement on the way.
    09-17-19 10:53 AM
    Just an FYI, I got a Battery replacement for the KeyOne from Best Buy for $19.99 US

Turns out my battery wasn't "swollen" but the back plate was warped a bit, so haven't replaced it - yet.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=8_uKxVkW
    Best buy shows not available. Is there a reliable source to get it fast to USA East Coast ?
    09-17-19 11:38 AM
    Best buy shows not available. Is there a reliable source to get it fast to USA East Coast ?
    Mine also showed not available, but ordered it online and received it in 2 days on East coast.
    09-17-19 11:49 AM
    From above link I didn't see a means of ordering it... I put the SKU in bestbuy.com and says "store pickup only" ... silly me !!

Ebay offerings all say USA but offer long lead time which must be drop shipped from China, I guess.
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 09-21-19 at 06:58 PM.
    09-17-19 12:40 PM
    From above link I didn't see a means of ordering it... I put the SKU in bestbuy.com and says "store pickup only" ... silly me !!

Ebay offerings all asy USA but offer long lead time which must be drop ship from China.
    https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Re...UvbUpU13444967
    09-17-19 04:43 PM
    Thx all
    09-17-19 09:14 PM
    battery arrived and installed without difficulty just changing to screws and yanking the thing loose of the glue behind it which was not difficult at all. Removing the backing of the phone was started by the swollen battery and it popped loose without any difficulty. However putting it back as another story. Getting the tabs around the camera lens under the metal of the top shroud was easy. But getting the long thin Edge underneath that shroud a cross to the opposite side is nigh unto impossible. Would anyone have any recommendations or advice? In the interim I think I will buy another back soon to make sure that the back was not simply deformed by the swollen battery. The battery I removed was a original equipment Blackberry battery provided with the phone when it was replaced by Blackberry or TCL if you will for screen pop last fall. The battery feels like mush. everything went well and the phone is working fine but I'm worried about the back being loose. I covered the back with a Amser sleeve to be certain.

The battery reads 3400 + matches all the criteria for Blackberry. It fit perfectly in the spot. But it did not state that it was original Blackberry. If it works and is safe I don't care. It was inexpensive.
    09-21-19 06:55 PM
    battery arrived and installed without difficulty just changing to screws and yanking the thing loose of the glue behind it which was not difficult at all. Removing the backing of the phone was started by the swollen battery and it popped loose without any difficulty. However putting it back as another story. Getting the tabs around the camera lens under the metal of the top shroud was easy. But getting the long thin Edge underneath that shroud a cross to the opposite side is nigh unto impossible. Would anyone have any recommendations or advice? In the interim I think I will buy another back soon to make sure that the back was not simply deformed by the swollen battery. The battery I removed was a original equipment Blackberry battery provided with the phone when it was replaced by Blackberry or TCL if you will for screen pop last fall. The battery feels like mush. everything went well and the phone is working fine but I'm worried about the back being loose. I covered the back with a Amser sleeve to be certain.

The battery reads 3400 + matches all the criteria for Blackberry. It fit perfectly in the spot. But it did not state that it was original Blackberry. If it works and is safe I don't care. It was inexpensive.
    To get the back cover under the top piece lift up the back cover at about a 30 degree angle and then push it in. Make sure the lens cover stays in place. Don't try snapping in the rest of the case before getting that top piece squared away. Don't forget that there is a clip just above the BlackBerry logo that will also need to be snapped in.
    09-21-19 08:34 PM
    no luck, won't go in, ordered new back... thx
    09-22-19 02:21 AM
    no luck, won't go in, ordered new back... thx
    A new back will face the same issue.... Good luck to you....
    09-22-19 02:47 AM
    I hope not.

The clips weren't so great anyway on the old one…
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 09-23-19 at 11:15 AM.
    09-22-19 09:41 AM
    the saga continues

the new backplate arrived and I proceeded to attempt to install it. It turns out the back plate I received looks exactly like the original but it seems to be one mmmm too long despite being able to inserted correctly under the top metal Edge which was the problem before after following the directions given by a smarty above to do it at 30 degree angle. so I removed it and replace the old one using the 30 degree angle advice and it went in without difficulty giving a nice snap but the rest of the Snaps are not holding well in the back is kind of loose dot-dot. I have an answer soft sleeve on the back of the phone to keep everything together. I'll look for another solution.

furthermore, the replacement back plate I received had another problem. The silver color bezel around the camera separated from it. Apparently it's just glued. They must have used the glue left over from the passport model. In any event I'm corresponding with the seller about that.

one other thing I should mention is that during the fiddling with the backplate on and off and on again apparently the power button failed. I was fairly careful to not intra the innards of the phone during the process. I looked carefully and just adjacent to the power button within less than half an inch is a apparent gray rectangular colored item that must be a cable to the power button which was partially lifted. I guess that's my fault. I didn't look carefully. I pushed it back down in the phone came right back on.

I post all of this not for my good health or entertainment but the possibility of helping somebody else who's trying to replace the battery.

many sellers furnish a little tool kit with the battery with some plastic pry tools and some screwdrivers. mine did not include the only screwdriver required to get the battery out which was a Phillips. But I have a set and was able to use that. It takes a very small Phillips to get that done. No other screw drivers are required.

and so the tail ends at this point. until we meet again.
    madredeus and rolfep like this.
    09-28-19 01:15 PM
    This is the thing that was flopped up (yellow arrow, gray rectangle) … I pushed it black down but felt no resistance nor seat so it must be zero insertion force.

Those pictures are not mine. They came from the iFixit motherboard disassembly guide. The arrow was added by me.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/BlackBe...assembly/92149
    Attached Thumbnails Swollen battery-img_20190928_142801.jpg   Swollen battery-screenshot_20190928-142516.jpg  
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 09-28-19 at 01:48 PM.
    09-28-19 01:34 PM
    That ribbon cable socket is a locking socket. The black flap along the right edge needs to be flipped up to open up the socket, then the cable inserted and the lock closed on it.
    09-28-19 02:14 PM
    the saga continues
    the new backplate arrived and I proceeded to attempt to install it. It turns out the back plate I received looks exactly like the original but it seems to be one mmmm too long despite being able to inserted correctly under the top metal Edge which was the problem before after following the directions given by a smarty above to do it at 30 degree angle. so I removed it and replace the old one using the 30 degree angle advice and it went in without difficulty giving a nice snap but the rest of the Snaps are not holding well in the back is kind of loose dot-dot. I have an answer soft sleeve on the back of the phone to keep everything together. I'll look for another solution.

furthermore, the replacement back plate I received had another problem. The silver color bezel around the camera separated from it. Apparently it's just glued. They must have used the glue left over from the passport model. In any event I'm corresponding with the seller about that.

one other thing I should mention is that during the fiddling with the backplate on and off and on again apparently the power button failed. I was fairly careful to not intra the innards of the phone during the process. I looked carefully and just adjacent to the power button within less than half an inch is a apparent gray rectangular colored item that must be a cable to the power button which was partially lifted. I guess that's my fault. I didn't look carefully. I pushed it back down in the phone came right back on.

I post all of this not for my good health or entertainment but the possibility of helping somebody else who's trying to replace the battery.

many sellers furnish a little tool kit with the battery with some plastic pry tools and some screwdrivers. mine did not include the only screwdriver required to get the battery out which was a Phillips. But I have a set and was able to use that. It takes a very small Phillips to get that done. No other screw drivers are required.

and so the tail ends at this point. until we meet again.
    The lens cover is glued in. I have never seen or heard of a replacement back cover being the wrong size. I would not harass the vendor due to the ineptitude of a user. Sorry if that sounds harsh but learn and live.
    09-28-19 06:26 PM
    I'm not harassing the vendor. Yet when correctly inserted after practicing with the original cover and getting it right I inserted the new cover and made sure that it was properly seated at the top Edge correctly inserted underneath the metal cover to be straight and clicked in properly and then measure the 2 and found that the vendors supply unit is approximately 1 mm longer and its length dimension. the thing might be a 3D printer item and I'll let the vendor do what they wish to do about it since I can't use the item and it's subject to eBay warranty.
    rolfep likes this.
    09-29-19 09:22 AM
    I've now suffered the swollen battery on my KeyOne. I see one offered on Amazon but it says for the AT&T version. Mine is the Verizon KeyOne. I have no idea if there was a separate model and/or if the "AT&T" battery would work?

Yes, back is popped, too.

Well, I might just give it a go...

It's been a while since I visited (g)
    04-28-20 08:55 PM
    Batteries for all K1 models are the same.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-28-20 10:43 PM
30 12