After reading some posts here I decided to research the messenger Signal. Excellent reviews from pundits and users alike in regard to function and security when fellow users switch over all well. The entire time my wife and me used BlackBerry OS 6,7 and 10 we were faithful and happy BBM users. After the DTEK 50 and sale of BBM to Emtek we quit using it and went to Whatsapp and plain Messenger. Thankfully she decided to give Signal a go with me so our messages (which do entail financial and sensitive business and personal information) are now encrypted end to end. If you have not considered or looked at Signal do some research. Great open source messenger app. *And thanks to those here on CB that have recommended it in conversations.
    08-29-19 12:29 AM
    Also Signal user here. I managed to move my wife to it as well but the rest of the family looks like a lost battle... Still trying though...
    anon(10218918) and bh7171 like this.
    08-29-19 03:10 PM
    We also used to use Signal as our personal messenger for a while. However we both had delivery issues all the time, and I didn't like not being able to know if the other end did read the message (like the blue tick in WA).
    08-29-19 03:35 PM
    So far seamless for me on my BE KeyOne and my wife on S9. I have T-Mobile digits on my S9 so monitoring between the two. I had tried Textra a couple years ago and my wife, me and mother in law had issues receiving messages. We had no issues on Whatsapp. My concern there is Facebook and it being closed source.
    08-30-19 12:19 AM
    I've managed to get some family and friends onto BBMe with me...so far so good. I used both signal and telegram for a while, but for me neither stacked up overall to BBMe.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-30-19 01:13 AM
    What’s the main attraction of Signal (or Telegram) over just using WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger that have the largest user bases?
    08-30-19 06:12 AM
    We also used to use Signal as our personal messenger for a while. However we both had delivery issues all the time, and I didn't like not being able to know if the other end did read the message (like the blue tick in WA).
    Never had delivery issues with Signal in three years of use now. You can tell if a message has been read if sent to another Signal user.
    08-30-19 06:17 AM
    Signal uses a similar scheme to WhatsApp - one checkmark in a circle for sent, two for delivered, and the circles are filled in when read.
    08-30-19 07:23 AM
    What’s the main attraction of Signal (or Telegram) over just using WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger that have the largest user bases?
    The very fact that they are not Facebook products.
    CNR1, Gatmyer, bh7171 and 3 others like this.
    08-30-19 08:06 AM
    I think this is the main reason many people try them.

I prefer Telegram over Signal. I find it's more feature rich, and plays nicer with multimedia when sharing in a group.
    08-30-19 03:02 PM
    I think this is the main reason many people try them.

I prefer Telegram over Signal. I find it's more feature rich, and plays nicer with multimedia when sharing in a group.
    Unless I need super-secure groups, I'll stick with Telegram too. So much more versatile.
    08-30-19 03:08 PM
    Both Whatsapp and FB Messenger are "closed" source messengers. Signal is "open" so that code can be verified independently. So yeah kinda because its not FB related as Conite noted. When another user chooses to use Signal it's fully encrypted and no meta data is exchanged. If the other user has iMessage (like our daughter) or Google Messenger or any other it acts like SMS text. I'll try to find and post the article that sealed the deal for me/us.
    08-30-19 03:38 PM
    For me, the fact that they don't track me or monetize my relationships with friends and family. Facebook encrypts the content of messages, but all the metadata is still available.

So, for example, it's possible to know the parties, locations and times of all communications even if the content is encrypted. That's an awful lot of personal information to collect. It's certainly enough for someone to target you and your contacts if they wished to do that.

The problem with privacy is that you don't know you need it until it's too late. (when you win the lottery, or are a victim in a mass shooting that someone claims was a hoax, or are SWATted because you're good at online games, or have a psychotic ex stalking you, or get retweeted by a high profile person, etc.). I believe the prudent thing to do is to minimize my threat surface by having very little information available.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-30-19 03:59 PM
    I like that Signal manages both SMS and IM features. As a result, I don't need a separate SMS app. One less app to deal with.
    08-30-19 09:32 PM
    I like Signal beside Threema and BBMe very much. What bothers me, is that the servers are located in the USA.
    08-31-19 08:39 AM
    I like Signal beside Threema and BBMe very much. What bothers me, is that the servers are located in the USA.
    Of those three, only Signal is open-source and open to security audit.

Signal servers are encrypted, and they don't have the key.
    Last edited by conite; 08-31-19 at 09:04 AM.
    08-31-19 08:53 AM
    Seriously, why does that matter? USA/Germany along with other allies share access quietly behind the scenes....
    08-31-19 09:02 AM
    Of those three, only Signal is open-source and open to security audit.

Signal servers are encrypted, and they don't have the key.
    You can find the last audit report for Threema in english at the buttom of this site: https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/audit19
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-31-19 09:08 AM
    You can find the last audit report for Threema in english at the buttom of this site: https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/audit19
    That's excellent. I've always been a fan of Threema.
    08-31-19 09:19 AM
    Thank you. These forums rock 😎. One can add Threema as an open source, independently verified app. I really like this: " Threema’s product line focuses on privacy: neither a phone number nor an email address is required to register or use the apps. Furthermore, it claims that it generates as little data on servers as possible and to delete messages from servers as soon as they were picked up. "
    08-31-19 10:56 AM
    Seriously, why does that matter? USA/Germany along with other allies share access quietly behind the scenes....
    If government surveillance is a part of your threat profile, servers in countries that don't cooperate with Nato/Russia/China are preferred.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-31-19 11:54 AM
    Reuters: Exclusive: Messaging app Telegram moves to protect identity of Hong Kong protesters.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...edName=topNews
    08-31-19 12:03 PM