Last night I was at the Keg with some friends having dinner. I had my KEYone on the table, periodically glancing at the led light for any SMS, emails or other activity. I often rely on the LED instead of always picking up my phone to check the screen notifications.

Anyway, I was expecting a fairly important call. When that person called, I didn't end up hearing the ring and I happened to not even be looking at my phone, so I didn't notice the screen showing the incoming call. After a few min, looking at my phone I saw no LED flashing and simply thought there was nothing to check my phone for.

By the time I left the place, I unlocked my phone to see I got a call over an hour ago. Come to think of it now, there have been a few times where I've checked my phone to see a missed call, but never noticed any flashing LED to indicate this.

I realize there are third party apps to do all sorts of LED notifications, but I'm really puzzled as to why something like this isn't baked into Android, or at least the BlackBerry launcher/hub. You can set LED notifications for any email account, as well as SMS and other things. Why can't you do it for a missed call, which is a rather important means of contact. Wonder if that's just an oversight, or they figure it's no longer important.

Every freaking BlackBerry (BBOS and BB10) I ever owned had a missed call LED notification, and I think some older Android Motorola phone I used also had it.

Is there some hidden setting for enabling a missed call LED notification, and is anyone else a little annoyed by this? I'm not blaming just BlackBerry, but I think Android should have this type of core feature easily configurable.
    habidv likes this.
    03-02-18 10:18 AM
    Was your phone in do not disturb?
    03-02-18 11:32 AM
    Was your phone in do not disturb?
    No, definitely not. But strangely enough, I think I might have found a small bug here.

I noticed that when I get a missed call, the red LED flashed just once (as in, one single time and that's it). One of my email accounts was also set to use RED as the LED notification (in the BlackBwerry Hub settings). So just by fluke, I decided to switch the color of the LED notification for that email address to some other color -- my thinking being that the missed call notification is RED by default, maybe something was in conflict.

After doing this, all of a sudden I am getting a red LED notification flashing whenever I get a missed call.

I haven't seen this working in a long time, so something must have gotten fouled up on my KEYone. Is this weird or what? Does your notification light work for missed calls?

UPDATE: There's still something unusual happening on my phone. The last test I did, the missed call LED stopped flashing after about 5 min. The second test I did it flashed for over 20 min, until I unlocked the screen. Wonder what's going on, if it's some other app in the background screwing things up.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 03-02-18 at 04:13 PM.
    03-02-18 03:38 PM
    Just wanted to follow up on this.

Is anyone experiencing intermittent issues with their missed call LED notification not flashing sometimes?

Again, I recently noticed the light wasn't flashing while my phone was locked and I missed a call. Then when I tried to reproduce issue, it worked. It's so frustratingly strange.

Although I really enjoy Android and my K1, it all tells me that Android just isn't at the same level of reliability that BBOS and BB10 were for basic things like this.
    03-07-18 10:42 AM
    My impression (without precise testing) is that the led light is not staying on as long as it used to with my q10. My recollection is that the light on the q10 stayed lit until I checked on the missed event. The keyone led only stays lit for awhile causing me to miss events also because I was accustomed to the q10. My guess it that it is the emphasis on battery life with this phone that is the reason but would prefer a setting allowing the led to stay lit as it did with my q10 because I can occasionally be away from my phone for long periods and count on a quick view of the led to determine if I missed anything. Maybe its a conspiracy among developers to force users to become even more attached to their phones than they already are!
    03-08-18 06:34 AM
    I've noticed it but didn't really delve into it. I get the little symbol that there's a missed a call or maybe it's only for vm. Not sure. I noticed it with the classic where I would not get a led for a vm, but would get the prompt from vvm, which sometimes only showed up hours later. Could never figure out how to get rid of it but with the k1 I was able to disable vvm. Still figuring out exactly how it works.
    03-08-18 07:04 AM
    This is the kind of thing where I'd expect to see complete documentation about the LED feature from the BlackBerry team. One of my biggest frustrations with mobile apps is the appalling lack of documentation that exists for functionality. The trend is to provide a walk through and screen shots for common functions and NOTHING MORE.

How can we report bugs if we don't even know how the app is SUPPOSED To work?!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-08-18 08:15 AM
    My impression (without precise testing) is that the led light is not staying on as long as it used to with my q10. My recollection is that the light on the q10 stayed lit until I checked on the missed event. The keyone led only stays lit for awhile causing me to miss events also because I was accustomed to the q10. My guess it that it is the emphasis on battery life with this phone that is the reason but would prefer a setting allowing the led to stay lit as it did with my q10 because I can occasionally be away from my phone for long periods and count on a quick view of the led to determine if I missed anything. Maybe its a conspiracy among developers to force users to become even more attached to their phones than they already are!
    I could definitely be wrong and not remember but I do not think that the LED on older bb devices stayed on. I seem to recall folks complaining back then that the led was not long enough and wanted the same unlimited/continuous led. But the answer was generally the same - that it could severely impact the battery if the user was unaware.

But, again, I might be mis-remembering how it worked.
    03-08-18 08:52 AM
    I could definitely be wrong and not remember but I do not think that the LED on older bb devices stayed on. I seem to recall folks complaining back then that the led was not long enough and wanted the same unlimited/continuous led. But the answer was generally the same - that it could severely impact the battery if the user was unaware.

But, again, I might be mis-remembering how it worked.
    You are remembering correctly. It does not stay on in BB10. There is a great app in BBW called Unmissable that adds the ability to keep a notification active until you check it. The default LED blinking period is only 15 minutes.
    FF22 and falbo like this.
    03-08-18 09:03 AM
    You are remembering correctly. It does not stay on in BB10. There is a great app in BBW called Unmissable that adds the ability to keep a notification active until you check it. The default LED blinking period is only 15 minutes.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH. The OLD mind does occasionally retain info even obscure stuff!
    03-08-18 09:07 AM
    Thanks for posting this. I've just downloaded the app while I still can via my paypal for my awesome passport.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-18 12:11 PM
    So can anyone confirm either the actual or intended behavior of the LED in Android? Is it also 15 minutes? And does it rotate between notifications for different accounts or does it only indicate the most recent notification account? I haven't found ANY documentation of how it's supposed to work.

03-08-18 01:12 PM
    Pls help, I bought limited edition of blackberry keyone but not up to a month now, the screen started fading to white. It has lost total contrast. Actually, it started today. This is worrisome. Please help with any information.
    03-08-18 05:33 PM
    Pls help, I bought limited edition of blackberry keyone but not up to a month now, the screen started fading to white. It has lost total contrast. Actually, it started today. This is worrisome. Please help with any information.
    I don't have any idea what could cause this, but this isn't the thread to ask about it.
    03-08-18 06:14 PM
    You probably should start a new thread with your problem highlighted.

You might contact the seller if a short time since purchase.

But check out the support thread:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...y-1113727-new/
    03-08-18 08:10 PM
    So can anyone confirm either the actual or intended behavior of the LED in Android? Is it also 15 minutes? And does it rotate between notifications for different accounts or does it only indicate the most recent notification account? I haven't found ANY documentation of how it's supposed to work.

This is the sort of documentation where things are shady. There doesn't appear to be a single option in settings affecting the LED behavior for missed calls, and it's a mystery to me how long it's supposed to stay flashing.

Of the times its actually worked, I timed it flashing for well over 15 min a couple times. And once I noticed it stopped flashing after about 5 min. Other times, no flashing at all.
    03-08-18 08:32 PM
    This is the sort of documentation where things are shady. There doesn't appear to be a single option in settings affecting the LED behavior for missed calls, and it's a mystery to me how long it's supposed to stay flashing.

Of the times its actually worked, I timed it flashing for well over 15 min a couple times. And once I noticed it stopped flashing after about 5 min. Other times, no flashing at all.
    Honestly, THIS is one of things I hate most about mobile apps. The attitude of most mobile developers is to simply skip any public documentation of functionality other than a few screen shots in a "Get Started" guide.

In a professional software development environment both business and technical requirements are drafted by analysts and, while coding is being done, testing protocols and documentation are being developed from the requirements.

As the product emerges from development and testing, technical writers refine the documentation, which is then subjected to testing and validation against the finished software.

Now, I understand agile and iterative development environments require modifications to documentation procedures, which is why Wikis and other knowedgebases are usually preferred for product documentation. But honestly, in mobile we mostly get crappy user forums for half-baked products with almost zero official documentation.

If a software company can't be bothered to pay its employees for comprehensive product documentation, please don't blame me for not buying your not-ready-for-prime-time app.

03-08-18 09:06 PM
    I guess someone will have to find us an app to make the LED blink different colors for different activities. This is what I don't like about Android, downloading endless apps that do one thing on your phone.

PS... Make sure this is on, go to settings => Notifications => then hit the gear in the top right and make sure "pulse light" is set to on.
    Last edited by Soapm; 03-09-18 at 02:47 AM.
    03-09-18 02:11 AM
    I guess someone will have to find us an app to make the LED blink different colors for different activities. This is what I don't like about Android, downloading endless apps that do one thing on your phone.

PS... Make sure this is on, go to settings => Notifications => then hit the gear in the top right and make sure "pulse light" is set to on.
    There are some apps like this already, for example this one which is under 2mb:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u.ProfReminder

Problem is always having to rely on these small helper apps consuming resources and running in the b/g.

On another note, the LED on the K1 still isn't as fluid as the original BlackBerrys. You can only use a limited pallette of colors. Whereas the 9900 for example, you could choose from an array of colors. Seems the technology used on those old LEDs was also brighter. They had a nice flash, which came to be unique with the phones.
    03-09-18 01:50 PM