I'm still on the Priv but will be trying the KEYone soon.

Does it have a trackpad? That would be awesome! (Just kidding. I've posted tirades about the lack of a trackpad elsewhere. Couldn't resist here.)

What I'm ranting about here is the lack of the ability to do a clean and smooth backup of the device, for a clean and smooth restore to an identical replacement device (or the same device) if and when it inevitably is required.

I know, it's an Android limitation and this isn't BB10 and we're not in Kansas anymore. But this nonsense about having to piecemeal the backup process and then piecemeal the restore process and hope you got most of it, and then manually redo a bunch of stuff anyway, is just ridiculous beyond words.

Yes, of course cloud backups occurring on an automatic basis daily or virtually in real time is really great. But how much will it provide for a full, complete restore?

To date, everything I've seen says that such a world just does not exist in the new BB-Android era.

Please tell me that something new about the KEYone architecture (let it be Nougat that gets the credit -- I don't care what it is) now enables a serious business user to know they're covered with the ability to completely restore a phone to identical hardware without having to spend a week.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-29-17 07:17 PM
    Short reply - still screwed. Or semi-screwed. Some stuff gets backed up but lots does not.

Let's see what others say...
    07-29-17 07:50 PM
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news BUT there is no consistent method to restore a backup in android! Therefore using a google account is your best bet to get your information onto another android device! It is kinda of ridiculous that there isn't a simpler way to do it all in one motion!
    07-31-17 11:17 AM
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news BUT there is no consistent method to restore a backup in android! Therefore using a google account is your best bet to get your information onto another android device! It is kinda of ridiculous that there isn't a simpler way to do it all in one motion!
    So, what does "using a Google account" mean? I don't use them for contacts, calendar, and email but that's the least of my concerns since I use Microsoft Exchange and just create the account on the new device and have it sync everything down from the server.

What about "literally everything else," though? I mean, I use Google Drive for whatever it seems I've been able to get cloud backups occuring for, but that sure seems like a very piecemeal and far from complete process to me. Am I missing something? Please do tell.

Thanks!
    07-31-17 04:53 PM