I've been very much on the fence as to making a purchase of a KEYone. Coming back to CB every so often to see what's going on.

Now I see the BB K1 Black edition. Can someone list the differences between the BBK1Orig and the BBK1Blk if any?

Is this selling in the USA for T Mobile frequencies? I wouldn't buy direct from T Mobile, I would buy unlocked, is that available and from where?

My first interest would be, are any of the issue related to the BBK1Orig showing up on the BBK1Blk.

Secondly, I think I read that the BBK1Blk had a few difference's as to spec's. Is that true?
    Last edited by EndRacism; 10-06-17 at 05:53 AM.
    10-06-17 05:41 AM
    I've been telling anyone who asks how much I love my BlackBerry KEYone. Fantastic device.

The original SILVER edition is unlocked. I bought mine at Best Buy. It works on AT&T and T-Mobile.

The KEYone Black in the U.S. is exclusive to AT&T and is internally IDENTICAL to the original (silver) KEYone.

The KEYone Black LIMITED Edition has 4GB of RAM (vs 3 in silver) 64GB of internal storage (vs 32 in silver), and a DUAL SIM slot (single in silver).

It really depends on your preference but I love the look of the silver. More contrast, all business. It's gorgeous.

I'd be happy to go into detail on what I love about this device but I'll just sum up: battery life is ridiculously good, keyboard is great (keyboard shortcuts cannot be understated... they're awesome), great camera, very smooth UI (very rare lag issues, coming from the Priv which supposedly had a faster processor)... any other questions? Which device do you own now?
    duncan86 likes this.
    10-06-17 06:39 AM
    vara411, My primary phone is still Passport, and I own a Google Nexus 6P. I deleted, or disabled every Google function possible off the 6P. Which goes to showing how strongly I dislike the Android / Google world.

The BBK1-Orig is well known to me, I've been following it on CB. The BBK1-Black I little about. I'm especially interested in issues if any that BBK1-Black owners are having and if the Limited Edition solves lag issue and is it readily available unlocked in USA.
    10-06-17 06:54 AM
    Just do it.
    - Nike
    keyboardweeb, duncan86 and cmykink like this.
    10-06-17 09:56 AM
    I'm trying out the black edition KEYone right now, coming from using a Classic for almost two years. I still feel the pull to go back to the Classic but I'm going to give this black edition an honest go to see if I can make it my daily driver.
    10-06-17 10:05 AM
    Can't comment on the silver. But I have the limited black edition and it is absolutely fantastic. I just love the device. Sometimes I just hold it and look at it. I am lucky to own one of these.
    duncan86 likes this.
    10-06-17 10:06 AM
    I use mine on T-Mobile. Got it from Amazon at release. I have had very few problems with it, nothing substantial enough to even make me consider going back to the Classic.

I say do it. Get it. Sure it's $550 bucks but consider you'll probably use it for a couple years or more, that's less than two bucks a day. For a nice pkb phone that runs Android, that's not bad.
    10-06-17 11:28 AM
    vara411, My primary phone is still Passport, and I own a Google Nexus 6P. I deleted, or disabled every Google function possible off the 6P. Which goes to showing how strongly I dislike the Android / Google world.

The BBK1-Orig is well known to me, I've been following it on CB. The BBK1-Black I little about. I'm especially interested in issues if any that BBK1-Black owners are having and if the Limited Edition solves lag issue and is it readily available unlocked in USA.
    Ah. The BlackBerry Passport was my first BlackBerry ever, and I really liked it but couldn't get past the app gap. I'd also found the size and shape of the device - while beautiful and unique - awkward for one-handed use.

I decided that I'd stick with BlackBerry so I got the BlackBerry Priv next. I liked that it had full Android app support and BlackBerry security on top of Android. I sprung for the KEYone over the Priv because of the better battery life, camera, stability, Nougat, and always present physical keyboard (ala the Passport). I have been absolutely pleased on all fronts.

Comparing the KEYone to the Passport:
    I'd say the keyboard (once you adjust) compares very favorably. The only thing I wish the KEYone had was the Passport's awesome 4-mic setup and incredible speakers. Not that the KEYone is a slouch in this department, but it'll be a minor downgrade for you for sure. Otherwise I find the KEYone to be just as snappy and fluid as my Passport was. I imagine you'll have even fewer problems if you disable Google at every turn.

I say go for it. I'm absolutely in love with this device and although all phones I've owned have a special place in my heart, the KEYone is THE PHONE I've been waiting for.
    10-06-17 11:33 AM
    I was a strong passport user and unfortunately lost mine while on vacation. I was really looking forward to the k1 so bought it immediately. it's been about 3 weeks and not a day goes by that I don't miss my passport, get angry over the loss of bb10 and consider purchasing another passport. this device (or Android specifically) just doesn't work as smoothly. For the steep price I think there are better android devices out there. I keep this for the keyboard (which isn't a proper bb keyboard) and the hub.
    10-06-17 03:10 PM
    If you were thinking about getting a iPhone Apple have just given Uber special privileges to look at your screen... Android and DTEK take care of most of those problems for you and you can always check the settings as well
    10-06-17 04:23 PM
    I was a strong passport user and unfortunately lost mine while on vacation. I was really looking forward to the k1 so bought it immediately. it's been about 3 weeks and not a day goes by that I don't miss my passport, get angry over the loss of bb10 and consider purchasing another passport. this device (or Android specifically) just doesn't work as smoothly. For the steep price I think there are better android devices out there. I keep this for the keyboard (which isn't a proper bb keyboard) and the hub.
    Hi Julie,

I have read this complaint from many people who miss BB10 and was curious... you say that the KEYone is less smooth than the Passport. How so? (Not being argumentative I had the Passport too and loved it. Just curious because I actually love my KEYone too.)
    10-07-17 08:02 AM
    Well swipe gestures for one thing. I was always strongly against stupid back buttons and home buttons. The fact that people are praising the home button on the upcoming bb device has me at a total loss, I don't understand why people want this over swiping anything away. My settings were way easier to access and adjust, and imagine my disappointment... I'm just now finding out there's no real full back up. I could plug my passport into my comp have it back up, wipe it if needed and do a full restore of all my notes, pictures, calendar, contacts, apps, ANYTHING! I'm one of those weird people that truly loved the passport. I think it was a thing of beauty, the three row keyboard was genius. So I know my opinion is not popular, but I'm in mourning as if a loved one died! App gap? I can use my android tablet if I want to play video games or call an Uber.
    EndRacism likes this.
    10-07-17 08:16 AM
    Hi Julie,

I have read this complaint from many people who miss BB10 and was curious... you say that the KEYone is less smooth than the Passport. How so? (Not being argumentative I had the Passport too and loved it. Just curious because I actually love my KEYone too.)
    Isn't juilezee talking about the lag that many k1 owners complain about? Which is why I'm still waiting for a BBK1-Black version to speak up about lag. Supposedly there is a BBK1-Black with Aside from looking a whole lot slicker, the new KEYone is pretty much the same. The RAM has been upped to 4GB and the storage doubled to 64GB, but the processor and software all remain the same.
    Read more at BlackBerry KEYone Black Edition hands-on Review | Trusted Reviews
    10-07-17 08:18 AM
    Well swipe gestures for one thing. I was always strongly against stupid back buttons and home buttons. The fact that people are praising the home button on the upcoming bb device has me at a total loss, I don't understand why people want this over swiping anything away. My settings were way easier to access and adjust, and imagine my disappointment... I'm just now finding out there's no real full back up. I could plug my passport into my comp have it back up, wipe it if needed and do a full restore of all my notes, pictures, calendar, contacts, apps, ANYTHING! I'm one of those weird people that truly loved the passport. I think it was a thing of beauty, the three row keyboard was genius. So I know my opinion is not popular, but I'm in mourning as if a loved one died! App gap? I can use my android tablet if I want to play video games or call an Uber.
    Used Passports are cheap on Amazon! Five months ago a wanted to finally try a new BBPPSE, and had to buy from a Company in Hong Kong to get a new BBPPSE, which worked out well for me, it was like a new and different phone in feeling. People love the looks of all BBPP's and then say, Blackberry is still making phones!? Between BBWorld and Amazon App and Cobalt I have any app that I want, I'm not an app junky, I have deleted more apps than use, I hope that BBPP is usable for another few years, I really won't want to update a BerryDroid until they create faster wifi.
    10-07-17 08:26 AM
    Isn't juilezee talking about the lag that many k1 owners complain about? Which is why I'm still waiting for a BBK1-Black version to speak up about lag. Supposedly there is a BBK1-Black with Aside from looking a whole lot slicker, the new KEYone is pretty much the same. The RAM has been upped to 4GB and the storage doubled to 64GB, but the processor and software all remain the same.
    Some folks find that some lag can be addressed by changing the Animations.

1) First go into system settings -- About Phone and tap the “Build Number” field a bunch of times. This will enable developer mode.

2) After enabled, open Developer Mode and scroll down (and down) and find the 3 Animations options. Some folks have changed them to zero but this might cause issues with some apps. Others have used .5 (that's decimal point 5).

Keyboard feel is obviously very personal. The Passport was roomy whereas the KeyOne is more traditional. Many have adapted but it might be hard.
    10-07-17 09:45 AM
    I'm truly baffled when I hear about people complain about lag on the KEYone. It's literally been a non-issue for me. It may be due to habits I picked up while owning the battery-chomping Priv, such as:

- closing out apps a couple times a day
    - setting data refresh rates for non-communication apps to manual
    - not playing many video games
    - disallowing background notifications
    - turning off location services

... that's literally it. I also love the "data saver" feature on the KEYone which disallows background data collection when I'm out of wifi range. All these things have led to smooth performance.

Would I like an extra GB of RAM? Sure. Totally necessary? Absolutely not.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-17 10:50 AM
    Julie,

Passport are cheap and easy to find. Sounds like picking another one up is what you need.

I was a huge webOS guy, okay?? I absolutely loved gestures and am not surprised to see others picking it up (ala iPhone X). Maybe someone can make a custom launcher to mimic that, who knows.

Settings have been pretty easy for me... a lot of that is taken care of either with third party apps or shortcuts provided by the BlackBerry Launcher. Which settings are you needing help with?

Backup: one of the reasons I had to stop using my Passport was the fact that BlackBerry Link and Blend are end of life. Not sure if anything has changed on that, but I doubt it. BlackBerry has gone full Android now...

You sound much like I did when my beloved webOS died. It happens. We have to speak with our wallets but when that's not enough, we must adjust. Luckily, in my case, I'm thrilled with my KEYone. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-17 10:59 AM
    I agree with the people here that are missing BlackBerry Flow. After using the KEYone for about a week now, and I am greatly missing the ability to seamlessly flow between apps. The home key feels like opening and closing a book each time. It's like, instead of flipping through pages of a book to get to the chapter you want, you first have to close the book, and THEN open it again to find the page you want.
    10-07-17 12:16 PM
    I agree with the people here that are missing BlackBerry Flow. After using the KEYone for about a week now, and I am greatly missing the ability to seamlessly flow between apps. The home key feels like opening and closing a book each time. It's like, instead of flipping through pages of a book to get to the chapter you want, you first have to close the book, and THEN open it again to find the page you want.
    Which KeyOne did you get? The silver or black? And how is the keyboard vs the PP?
    10-07-17 05:45 PM
    Why don't you use your square (right) button? I use it all day long to go between my hub and open apps. It really is fast, and keeps me from having to use the home key too often, unless I need some app that isn't open, say like Google Play or Maps, I don't have those open everyday, so I would need the home key to get to those.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-17 05:59 PM
    Which KeyOne did you get? The silver or black? And how is the keyboard vs the PP?
    I got the black edition with 4GB, and my previous device was a Classic, and a Passport prior to that. Compared to the Passport, the KEYone is more like using the Classic's keyboard but with the capacitive swiping of the Passport. The KEYone keyboard is slightly smaller than the Classic's. Something I've noticed is that you can't swipe down to bring up punctuation on the KEYone keyboard like you can on the Passport.
    10-07-17 05:59 PM
    Why don't you use your square (right) button? I use it all day long to go between my hub and open apps. It really is fast, and keeps me from having to use the home key too often, unless I need some app that isn't open, say like Google Play or Maps, I don't have those open everyday, so I would need the home key to get to those.
    Funny you mention that, I'm starting to realize that using the square key is kind of like swiping up on BB10 to get you back to all your minimized app tiles (if the app tiles are selected that is).
    10-07-17 06:03 PM
    Funny you mention that, I'm starting to realize that using the square key is kind of like swiping up on BB10 to get you back to all your minimized app tiles (if the app tiles are selected that is).
    Yes! If you have your hub open, then pressing the square is your new swipe.
    10-07-17 06:08 PM
    The black 4gb ram and believing that most launch flaws have been ironed out pushed me to buy. Bought rhe black from Clove UK through my Spanish company, which isn't possible thru CPW or BBM EU. Should arrive Tuesday. I'd say give it a go.
    10-08-17 02:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD