https://twitter.com/UTBblogs/status/834423077165359104

Steve Cistulli might want to double-check his re-tweets.-2017-02-23-21_27_41-utb-blogs-twitter_-_mercury-accessories-showing-up-online-https___t.co_.png

And this is the product in question: Search B01N5VIO8Q on Amazon UK:

Steve Cistulli might want to double-check his re-tweets.-2017-02-23-21_29_38-slabo-privacy-screen-protector-blackberry-dtek70_-amazon.co.uk_-electronics.png

Looks familiar? Because it is. It's the earlier Rome renders that Dylan Habkirk was making. Endorsing a fake product with a "product photo" of an unofficial render? Really?
    02-23-17 08:31 PM
    That doesn't mean a screen protector isn't available though.
    Last edited by ray689; 02-23-17 at 10:50 PM.
    02-23-17 08:46 PM
    Surely you don't mean to imply that Twitter is full of fake bullsh!t?
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    02-23-17 09:15 PM
    Surely you don't mean to imply that Twitter is full of fake bullsh!t?
    Not fake bull. Alternate bull.
    02-23-17 09:23 PM
    Unfortunately, Cistulli made the mistake of expecting that the blogger would vet the item linked before posting. Obviously, not all do. Or the blogger didn't know better.
    02-23-17 09:39 PM
    how is this a fake product? the screen protector is real is it not?

Case and screen protectors are always up for sale before the phones are released and announced. Nothing new.

No harm done and at IMO with the tweet. Its a good sign when any accessory hits the shelves for new products.
    02-23-17 09:43 PM
    how is this a fake product? the screen protector is real is it not?
    A lot of these resellers just post random crap they have on their stock list and add "For (insert phone name here)" to the title, spamming the search results on Amazon on eBay.

Clearly this company does not have an actual screen protector that fits the Mercury, or they even have a Mercury to make a fitting one, when they have to use an unofficial render and draw a rectangle over it.
    02-23-17 09:48 PM
    A lot of these resellers just post random crap they have on their stock list and add "For (insert phone name here)" to the title, spamming the search results on Amazon on eBay.

Clearly this company does not have an actual screen protector that fits the Mercury, or they even have a Mercury to make a fitting one, when they have to use an unofficial render and draw a rectangle over it.
    not always true. They cant use an actual phone because that would violate a NDA but many manufactures are given all the specs they need for cases and such ahead of time. I have bought cases and had them delivered before a phone as been "announced" and released before.
    02-23-17 09:53 PM
    Looks just like the Mercury even if it a render from an unofficial party.

I don't see a problem with it.
    02-23-17 09:57 PM
    not always true. They cant use an actual phone because that would violate a NDA but many manufactures are given all the specs they need for cases and such ahead of time. I have bought cases and had them delivered before a phone as been "announced" and released before.
    If they actually had the prototype they would realize the real phone doesn't have the logo on the front.

So my money is still on fake accessory search spam.
    02-23-17 09:58 PM
    If they actually had the prototype they would realize the real phone doesn't have the logo on the front.

sure it might be but the practice is fairly common among the accessory manufactures and nothing new.
    02-23-17 10:06 PM
    This one also appeared on amazon uk
    Attached Thumbnails Steve Cistulli might want to double-check his re-tweets.-99.jpg  
    02-23-17 10:18 PM
    Who cares? It's one accessory and obviously not perfect yet or even close.
    No need to find negative in the guys tweets. He's doing a way better job then the morons in Waterloo have done the last 7 years.

Posted via CB10
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    02-23-17 10:47 PM
    I think his intention was to highlight the article to help drive the hype around the device, the link to the product screen cover could be intentional to hint these release dates or sizes.
    02-24-17 01:35 AM
    Screen protectors and cases are now showing up on amazon as I just did a search. All available March 1st but ship date not until March 21.
    02-24-17 03:23 AM

I don't think companies like that go off prototypes, especially these days, they are given all the accurate dimensions maybe even 3d computer models and they use that to cut their screen protectors and cases. They don't show a real picture because they don't have a device.

If for some reason it doesn't fit when the product is available they will ship replacements to those affected.
    02-24-17 06:23 AM
    I don't think companies like that go off prototypes, especially these days, they are given all the accurate dimensions maybe even 3d computer models and they use that to cut their screen protectors and cases. They don't show a real picture because they don't have a device.

If for some reason it doesn't fit when the product is available they will ship replacements to those affected.
    I don't even think they'd need a "3D" model for a screen protector. Just the dimensions of the screen with a clear drawing of where the camera and sensor cut-outs need to be... I would think it would be very easy to do.

Also, for their publicity photo, I don't see what difference it makes if they use an actual photo or a render or not. Perhaps they didn't have permission to use the image, but is anyone going to actually contest whether or not they have the rights to use that photo? Probably not...
    02-24-17 07:18 AM
    It's not unusual in most industries to use mock ups, renders or prototypes in pre-advertising for a product. Probably the most egregious of these is the automotive industry who use disguised/camouflaged "spy" shots and renders right up to the products' release and sometimes even beyond.

BlackBerry seems to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Let's just accept the fact they finally have a marketing programme that takes their product seriously and seems to know what they're doing.
    02-24-17 06:39 PM
    It's not unusual in most industries to use mock ups, renders or prototypes in pre-advertising for a product. Probably the most egregious of these is the automotive industry who use disguised/camouflaged "spy" shots and renders right up to the products' release and sometimes even beyond.

BlackBerry seems to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Let's just accept the fact they finally have a marketing programme that takes their product seriously and seems to know what they're doing.
    Word. You nailed it.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    02-24-17 08:15 PM