Obviously not, but my point is valid.
    No it's not. Your point would be valid if Steve was as intelligent to learn these things on his own like Bill Gates has. But as he's showing, he's not.
    Last edited by iamci; 06-01-17 at 04:59 PM.
    hjc73734 likes this.
    06-01-17 01:21 PM
    No it's not. Your point would be valid of Steve was as intelligent to learn these things in his own like Bill Gates has. But as he's showing, he's not.
    First you said he's not a good CEO BECAUSE he's an engineer, despite the fact that many other CEOs do not have formal business degrees.

Now you say it's really because he's not intelligent enough to be successful like many other non-business CEOs.

You're changing the posts a bit.

As head of product management and technology for Samsung for 5 years, he probably picked up a few things.
    06-01-17 01:28 PM
    First you said he's not a good CEO BECAUSE he's an engineer, despite the fact that many other CEOs do not have formal business degrees.

Now you say it's really because he's not intelligent enough to be successful like many other non-business CEOs.

You're changing the posts a bit.

As head of product management and technology for Samsung for 5 years, he probably picked up a few things.
    I didn't say he's a bad CEO did I? I was talking about the launch. And all I said is he's not intelligent enough to be compared to Bill Gates which was a person YOU brought up.
    06-01-17 02:57 PM
    Stock shortages all the time with iPhone and iPad launches.
    Yeah but their initial supply were probably in the millions and not hundreds.
    OrlandoAlex and Al moon like this.
    06-01-17 04:11 PM
    Chen's sustainability limit for the Blackberry phone business was overall 4M phones per year. It don't think that gets any lower for BlackBerryMobile. They'll need some other phones this year to filling in most of the gap that the KeyOne leaves under that number.
    Actually, it's likely significantly lower because TCL can spread its fixed costs for hardware across many other products. BlackBerry needed a handful.of phones to pay for the entire HW division.

That said, I'm sure their projections are to grow the BlackBerry business into at least 5-10M units per year, but that's not their break-even number. That's their profitability target number.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-01-17 04:20 PM
    I'm in Europe, so maybe not 20.000 cities, but maybe 10.000?
    The European shopping sites, since many weeks now, have been showing K1 stock just for minutes, if at all, before they went out of stock again (maybe the UK as an exception).

When checking for all other phone brands, including 'smaller' ones like HTC, Huawei, Sony etc., why is it that I can see stock of almost all of their phones, almost everywhere? Even the most recent phones, that were launched very recently?

I got my K1 yesterday evening, and when I returned it today morning, because it was defective, they were out of stock already, and could not replace it. And there were NO hundreds of people queueing up in front of the store to purchase all their K1s. So they just had very few.

My opinion still stands: very messed up launch. I hope no technical or design issues, but bad planning 'only'.
    Please read more carefully. I haven't said a word about how the launch has went. I am making that one comment directed at the people who claim they've only made 500 devices or some ridiculous thing like that... The others you see everywhere, they're everywhere because there are literally hundreds of thousands to over a million of those devices built. BB Mobile would be dumb if they produced that many phone in the state the name BB is in now. It'll be the Z10 all over again. They definitely didn't have enough for launch, but there's definitely more than just a few hundred units is my point.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-01-17 04:33 PM
    I think most of people buying Keyone are CBKers. Could we make a poll on some choices like 1. Good with no issues, 2. Screen faulty, 3. KB faulty. From that, we can estimate how many have been sold as well as have some ideas on build quality. What do you think, guys?
    I'll tell you right now that the majority will be for there being a problem. It's the problem with voluntary polls. The people experiencing the problems will be much more likely to vote in it while the majority of people happily using theirs would likely never even click on that topic...
    06-01-17 04:35 PM
    my S8+ is a super snug snap in, first time I thought it wasn't going to fit
    That's what she... um, nevermind, I'll refrain...
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    06-01-17 04:37 PM
    No it's not. Your point would be valid of Steve was as intelligent to learn these things in his own like Bill Gates has. But as he's showing, he's not.
    Look man, not everyone can be a genius like you, relax...
    06-01-17 04:38 PM
    Still checking, but Bill Gates is a math and computer science major, with no formal business education.
    But he got Paul Alan and Steve b. (we are talking about bill Gates) .

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 04:53 PM
    I think most of people buying Keyone are CBKers. Could we make a poll on some choices like 1. Good with no issues, 2. Screen faulty, 3. KB faulty. From that, we can estimate how many have been sold as well as have some ideas on build quality. What do you think, guys?

Exactly, which is why I do not believe that they were able to sell-out the CDMA version so fast unless they only had like 10 available in the first place (or, more like zero). I mean, 99% of the U.S. likely does not know that this handset even exists.

I don't know about the poll; there will always be yahoos who claim to have bought, and then received, one.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-01-17 05:12 PM
    The CDMA phone does not exist yet. No pictures at all of it any where. Flat out lie
    06-01-17 05:21 PM
    Sorry, but we must be careful that people are "clamoring" after the KEYone due to no supply or due to the response here on CB. Since we do not know the original supply or expectation and we do not know how many orders have been placed, to jump to the conclusion that people in general are clamoring for the KEYone is a mistake.

Remember when the other BlackBerry phones were released (Z10 and Priv) and how the pre-orders went. Remember that BlackBerry was really pleased with the response? Then we find out sales sucked swamp water.

All I am trying to say is don't get too excited about appearances of demand exceeding supply. We have seen it before and it did not indicate a sales boon, much as we all want it to be.

Personally this launch is not well done. There are no Keyone's to be had in Kentucky. I guess BlackBerry Mobile doesn't think we need them in this part of the country. But then again, I have heard no person indicate they even know it exists. I have seen no local articles or news stories, but then I don't expect to. People don't know BlackBerry is still in existence, or that they make secured Android phones let alone make phones at all.

Sad, but true. But let's hope the KEYone can overcome this launch.
    Well, two things: everyone and their uncle knows there will be a next iPhone; news, rumors, and so on about the next version pop up literally on day of launch of the then new version, and, any news regarding the new, upcoming, iPhone are major news events. Well, at least worthy of airtime, anyways.

And yes, as I have stated in my previous post and you mention here; *no one* knows that this handset even exists which is why I think this botched launch was intentional, designed to build hype. Perhaps with good reason, though. I mean, it's not like any U.S. carrier can properly launch a handset themselves. So perhaps the hope is that artificially created buzz will translate into even more sales once these handsets hit the carriers; which I'll bet will be in a month or two from now
    06-01-17 05:27 PM
    The CDMA phone does not exist yet. No pictures at all of it any where. Flat out lie
    But it sold out on Amazon and I read about it on the Internet!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-17 05:28 PM
    Well, two things: everyone and their uncle knows there will be a next iPhone; news, rumors, and so on about the next version pop up literally on day of launch of the then new version, and, any news regarding the new, upcoming, iPhone are major news events. Well, at least worthy of airtime, anyways.

And yes, as I have stated in my previous post and you mention here; *no one* knows that this handset even exists which is why I think this botched launch was intentional, designed to build hype. Perhaps with good reason, though. I mean, it's not like any U.S. carrier can properly launch a handset themselves. So perhaps the hope is that artificially created buzz will translate into even more sales once these handsets hit the carriers; which I'll bet will be in a month or two from now
    ...and now come the conspiracy theories!! So predictable.

06-01-17 05:40 PM
    To everyone hitching about stock.....

I'm going to offer my two cents....

The retailers and not BlackBerry nor TCL are to blame.
    Here's why; they (Retailers) simply aren't buying enough as they are stupidly anticipating slow sales like every other BlackBerry launch (Kinda understand that)

No doubt TCL built plenty but they cannot force retailers to buy them.

The very same is going to happen in a few months with carriers.

They (Carriers) don't care for BlackBerry anymore so they won't buy stock either.
    You'll try to buy one only to get them trying to steer you instead to an Apple or Samsung.

A couple of weeks ago I bought my Keyone out of the UK as I knew this would happen.
    Now I'm grateful I did so and don't care anymore that I paid too much.
    06-01-17 05:43 PM
    Can you blame them? Nobody's bought their last 5 phones, so now all of a sudden this one's gonna sell out? I'd be gunshy too.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-17 05:46 PM
    Can you blame them? Nobody's bought their last 5 phones, so now all of a sudden this one's gonna sell out? I'd be gunshy too.
    Blame is boring. But analytically, the lack of channel support (carriers and retailers) does make it very hard to estimate demand.

What's clear is that there is unmet demand for the phone, and I'm sure both BlackBerry Mobile and the retailers wish that wasn't the case!

06-01-17 06:00 PM
    I do believe there is an element to some underestimated demand from the retailers perspective. It just occurred to be today actually when I was at a local Rogers store in an area of Calgary that's wealthy and has plenty of legal, finance, executive and oil and gas engineering types.

The Rogers employee said "ya, we're getting it tomorrow and we have had a lot of people asking about it. I am surprised"

I mentioned that this phone has the small potential to kinda be a hipster retro cool type of device. "Hey, look at my NEW BlackBerry "

These days having a Samsung or an iphone is the same thing as having a box of Klenex. It's not unique at all anymore so we will see what happens.

I know a lot of people want this device right away but hopefully everybody gets there's very soon! Good luck

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-17 06:01 PM
    Well, I have not been a long term Apple user, only since BB let me down.
    However, I always succeeded in getting me iPhones, Ipads, covers, cases and even a pencil, right after launch. I don't think that 'they sell a huge number, compared to BB' is a good enough excuse.
    There has been - intentional or not - significant hype over the K1, for many months, then delays after delays, even after the official announcement, and now even the official launch seems to be messed up. And all of that accompanied by very few but hard to believe 'official' statements, which proved to be wrong, only some days or weeks later.

I can't remember any Apple - launch that bad. To me it seems quite obvious that there was only a ridiculously small number of K1 devices shipped to some stores as a kind of alibi, to allow for claiming something like 'see....we delivered on our promises'.

The only launch of Apple's that I remember that was/is equally ridiculous and embarrassing is for their air pods, which are still hard to get, many months after announcement.
    Yeah, embarrassing is the right word, considering how good at operations Cook and Jeff Williams are supposed to be. They're only now getting to stores in decent volume.
    06-01-17 06:01 PM
    To everyone hitching about stock.....

I'm going to offer my two cents....

The retailers and not BlackBerry nor TCL are to blame.
    Here's why; they (Retailers) simply aren't buying enough as they are stupidly anticipating slow sales like every other BlackBerry launch (Kinda understand that)

No doubt TCL built plenty but they cannot force retailers to buy them.

The very same is going to happen in a few months with carriers.

They (Carriers) don't care for BlackBerry anymore so they won't buy stock either.
    You'll try to buy one only to get them trying to steer you instead to an Apple or Samsung.

A couple of weeks ago I bought my Keyone out of the UK as I knew this would happen.
    Now I'm grateful I did so and don't care anymore that I paid too much.
    I seriously doubt TCL is sitting on a bunch of phones with nowhere to send them. If that were the case, they would be selling them direct from their website to meet demand until they worked things out with retailers/carriers.
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    06-01-17 06:04 PM
    I seriously doubt TCL is sitting on a bunch of phones with nowhere to send them. If that were the case, they would be selling them direct from their website to meet demand until they worked things out with retailers/carriers.
    I don't believe they have the staff, systems, processes, warranty accounting, or business licenses to actually do that. They are a manufacturer, not a distributor or retailer.

slagman5 likes this.
    06-01-17 06:36 PM
    Really--how does it allow for easier swapping? I first noticed this with the Priv, and I think it's a PITA compared to the pop-in/pop-out on my Z30. Even compared to the slide in on the Q10 or Z10, this requires a tool of some sort (Ok, a paperclip handy) and presents the risk of losing or breaking the tray. The only upside I see is that the tray can be replaced, though I've heard it's silly expensive.
    06-01-17 06:39 PM
    Do they sell phones direct? If not, you think it's that easy to just start selling phones direct? It's just a click of a button right? lol
    06-01-17 08:00 PM
    I don't believe they have the staff, systems, processes, warranty accounting, or business licenses to actually do that. They are a manufacturer, not a distributor or retailer.

LOL, it amazes me that some people just completely disregards logistics when they expect companies to "just do it" lol.
    06-01-17 08:01 PM
164 ... 23456 ...