Let's face it. Apple did this all the time. Nothing new. Great to see people clamoring after a BlackBerry. It really is worth the wait.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'Apple did this all the time'. What did they do?
    06-01-17 07:42 AM
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'Apple did this all the time'. What did they do?
    Not meeting demand for the launch maybe.... of course we are talking Apples and BlackBerries here. Whole different level of production and demand, but same principle really. You gear up production for what is the most cost effective based on long term demand, not just launch day. TCL "problem" is what will demand be after the launch.
    06-01-17 07:53 AM
    I think he's parroting the common belief that Apple purposely builds iPhones in low quantities at launch just to artificially inflate demand, then says that demand was overwhelming. Just a guess. They've managed to sell 70+ million units in each of the last three launch quarters, so their sales don't seem to be hurting. Of course, even if Apple is guilty of doing that , it's not an acceptable practice for them or any other company.
    Last edited by MikeX74; 06-01-17 at 08:13 AM.
    06-01-17 07:55 AM
    Telus had 1108 in stock in warehouse at midnight last night. And that's considering they were only planning on selling to business. Presumably now that they're offering to consumers they will need more

Posted via CB10
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-01-17 08:01 AM
    Shouldn't the "pre registration" have given a guideline of how many to build for each country/region?
    saf20016, FF22, hjc73734 and 2 others like this.
    06-01-17 08:03 AM
    Not much actual information here...
    He is a liar. I'm sorry but the delay was due to incompetence. And now the lack of stock is also due to Gross incompetence. There is absolutely NOT overwhelming demand. That is total BS. An overt lie.
    saf20016 and nappalonia like this.
    06-01-17 08:06 AM
    Let's face it. Apple did this all the time. Nothing new. Great to see people clamoring after a BlackBerry. It really is worth the wait.
    Sorry, but we must be careful that people are "clamoring" after the KEYone due to no supply or due to the response here on CB. Since we do not know the original supply or expectation and we do not know how many orders have been placed, to jump to the conclusion that people in general are clamoring for the KEYone is a mistake.

Remember when the other BlackBerry phones were released (Z10 and Priv) and how the pre-orders went. Remember that BlackBerry was really pleased with the response? Then we find out sales sucked swamp water.

All I am trying to say is don't get too excited about appearances of demand exceeding supply. We have seen it before and it did not indicate a sales boon, much as we all want it to be.

Personally this launch is not well done. There are no Keyone's to be had in Kentucky. I guess BlackBerry Mobile doesn't think we need them in this part of the country. But then again, I have heard no person indicate they even know it exists. I have seen no local articles or news stories, but then I don't expect to. People don't know BlackBerry is still in existence, or that they make secured Android phones let alone make phones at all.

Sad, but true. But let's hope the KEYone can overcome this launch.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-01-17 08:13 AM
    Stock shortages all the time with iPhone and iPad launches.
    06-01-17 08:15 AM
    He is a liar. I'm sorry but the delay was due to incompetence. And now the lack of stock is also due to Gross incompetence. There is absolutely NOT overwhelming demand. That is total BS. An overt lie.
    incompetence is a understatement...
    saf20016 and OrlandoAlex like this.
    06-01-17 08:17 AM
    I think he's parroting the common belief that Apple purposely builds iPhones in low quantities at launch just to artificially inflate demand, then says that demand was overwhelming. Just a guess. They've managed to sell 70+ million units in each of the last three launch quarters, so it makes you wonder if they were actually doing that. Of course, even if Apple is guilty of doing that , it's not an acceptable practice for them or any other company.
    Well, I have not been a long term Apple user, only since BB let me down.
    However, I always succeeded in getting me iPhones, Ipads, covers, cases and even a pencil, right after launch. I don't think that 'they sell a huge number, compared to BB' is a good enough excuse.
    There has been - intentional or not - significant hype over the K1, for many months, then delays after delays, even after the official announcement, and now even the official launch seems to be messed up. And all of that accompanied by very few but hard to believe 'official' statements, which proved to be wrong, only some days or weeks later.

I can't remember any Apple - launch that bad. To me it seems quite obvious that there was only a ridiculously small number of K1 devices shipped to some stores as a kind of alibi, to allow for claiming something like 'see....we delivered on our promises'.

The only launch of Apple's that I remember that was/is equally ridiculous and embarrassing is for their air pods, which are still hard to get, many months after announcement.
    FF22 and OrlandoAlex like this.
    06-01-17 08:18 AM
    Ok, I just have to say one thing for all of the "know-it-alls" here who seem to think they know how many were built and sold... Not counting the thousands sold elsewhere, do you guys realize just how many cities there are in the USA? I am not at all exaggerating when I say there are well over 10,000 cities, maybe closer to 20,000, in the USA. And while I know some regions didn't get this kind of coverage, every BB in my area, 10 of them around my zip code, had them in stock. Only 2 of them showed they had only a few while the rest showed them simply as in stock (I don't know what their threshold is to determine if there's only a few left versus when there's stock...), and they had some online, as well as Amazon, simple reason and logic would tell you they would have needed to have WAY more than these ridiculous numbers you guys are throwing out...

But anyway, don't know why I'm trying, I know in these forums you either have to be all-in fanboy and think that they've sold a gazillion phones or an edgy complainer who think they've sold 14 phones, and nothing in between... So just disregard this little bit of nonsense from me, sorry...
    Mike-Mike and DolemiteDONS like this.
    06-01-17 08:42 AM
    This is what happens when you have an engineer with no formal business education running a business. Dude might want to consider grad school lol.
    06-01-17 08:45 AM
    Is he, SC, going to have a special interview at UTB.or something like that on June 2? Let's hear the news from "original source" rather than predict, guess, from few back office computer buddies...
    Steve Cistulli to join us on June 2nd for a Special Blogcast - UTB Blogs
    Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 09:28 AM
    Ok, I just have to say one thing for all of the "know-it-alls" here who seem to think they know how many were built and sold... Not counting the thousands sold elsewhere, do you guys realize just how many cities there are in the USA? I am not at all exaggerating when I say there are well over 10,000 cities, maybe closer to 20,000, in the USA. And while I know some regions didn't get this kind of coverage, every BB in my area, 10 of them around my zip code, had them in stock. Only 2 of them showed they had only a few while the rest showed them simply as in stock (I don't know what their threshold is to determine if there's only a few left versus when there's stock...), and they had some online, as well as Amazon, simple reason and logic would tell you they would have needed to have WAY more than these ridiculous numbers you guys are throwing out...

But anyway, don't know why I'm trying, I know in these forums you either have to be all-in fanboy and think that they've sold a gazillion phones or an edgy complainer who think they've sold 14 phones, and nothing in between... So just disregard this little bit of nonsense from me, sorry...
    I'm in Europe, so maybe not 20.000 cities, but maybe 10.000?
    The European shopping sites, since many weeks now, have been showing K1 stock just for minutes, if at all, before they went out of stock again (maybe the UK as an exception).

When checking for all other phone brands, including 'smaller' ones like HTC, Huawei, Sony etc., why is it that I can see stock of almost all of their phones, almost everywhere? Even the most recent phones, that were launched very recently?

I got my K1 yesterday evening, and when I returned it today morning, because it was defective, they were out of stock already, and could not replace it. And there were NO hundreds of people queueing up in front of the store to purchase all their K1s. So they just had very few.

My opinion still stands: very messed up launch. I hope no technical or design issues, but bad planning 'only'.
    Mike-Mike, phuoc and OrlandoAlex like this.
    06-01-17 09:34 AM
    I think most of people buying Keyone are CBKers. Could we make a poll on some choices like 1. Good with no issues, 2. Screen faulty, 3. KB faulty. From that, we can estimate how many have been sold as well as have some ideas on build quality. What do you think, guys?
    1. Good with no issues that were not resolved by the wireless carrier salesperson actually activating a non-faulty SIM.

I was surprised the SIM and SD card just sit in the tray, not the previous secure fit. The difference between BlackBerry and TCL apparently.
    06-01-17 09:36 AM
    ... I was surprised the SIM and SD card just sit in the tray, not the previous secure fit. The difference between BlackBerry and TCL apparently.
    Design practices change with time. This is 2017, not 2014.
    06-01-17 09:42 AM
    1. Good with no issues that were not resolved by the wireless carrier salesperson actually activating a non-faulty SIM.

I was surprised the SIM and SD card just sit in the tray, not the previous secure fit. The difference between BlackBerry and TCL apparently.
    It's still a secure fit, it's a much-improved design that allows for easier swapping. Samsung has been doing it for a couple years, LG also got on board. And with my G6, it's​ a snug snap into the tray.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-01-17 09:48 AM
    Well, maybe. But if you wake up at 12:00am pst they open pre orders and majority or most loyal fans get it on launch day or within that week as orders come through. I was able to get all my 4s + on launch day with pre orders and thats ordering as late as morning off. I think apples situation is that majority of shipped phones get claimed by launch date which speaks volumes. Cudos for them.
    06-01-17 09:48 AM
    It's still a secure fit, it's a much-improved design that allows for easier swapping. Samsung has been doing it for a couple years, LG also got on board. And with my G6, it's​ a snug snap into the tray.
    my S8+ is a super snug snap in, first time I thought it wasn't going to fit
    06-01-17 12:48 PM
    This is what happens when you have an engineer with no formal business education running a business. Dude might want to consider grad school lol.
    TCL is being run by an engineer with no business training? Citation needed.
    06-01-17 01:01 PM
    TCL is being run by an engineer with no business training? Citation needed.
    Go to Steve's LinkedIn
    06-01-17 01:08 PM
    Au contraire mon ami. If I pull out the tray and flip it over, the SIM and SD cards fall onto the desk. In contrast I can shake the tray from my BlackBerry PRIV and the SIM stays in place. Obviously a new tray design for the BlackBerry KEYone maybe falling other smartphone manufacturers. Not a problem, just unexpected.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-01-17 01:17 PM
    Go to Steve's LinkedIn
    Still checking, but Bill Gates is a math and computer science major, with no formal business education.
    06-01-17 01:17 PM
    And Bill Gates is a math and computer science major.
    And Steve is no Bill Gates
    06-01-17 01:18 PM
    And Steve is no Bill Gates
    Obviously not, but my point is valid.
    h16 likes this.
    06-01-17 01:19 PM
164 12345 ...