Looks like the Sprint keyone is maybe $30 cheaper than unlocked version. Hmph.

Is that worth it? Why not just get an unlocked one and go with Tmobile or ATT?

For that matter, why do people buy phones from carriers at all anymore, aside from convenience or less money up front?

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-14-17 08:04 PM
    Looks like the Sprint keyone is maybe $30 cheaper than unlocked version. Hmph.

Is that worth it? Why not just get an unlocked one and go with Tmobile or ATT?

For that matter, why do people buy phones from carriers at all anymore, aside from convenience or less money up front?

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    For one, you may not get all the features provided by the network. For example, you won't get visual voicemail with Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 08:06 PM
    For one, you may not get all the features provided by the network. For example, you won't get visual voicemail with Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    Or WIFI calling on AT&T
    07-14-17 08:25 PM
    Carriers often help with your phone if you buy from them. For instance, when my LG V10 bootlooped, I called LG customer support in the AT&T store, and the employee at the store got on the phone at certain points to speed up the process. I actually had a new V10 in less than 24 hours, and didn't have to make any deposit of any kind.

As well, many people don't know you can even buy unlocked. I consider myself to be very up to date on technology, but when I bought my V10 I had no idea unlocked was a legit option for any phone. I figured, if there was a carrier version, you had to buy it.

Another thing is that, if you're starting a new line, the carrier won't let you bring in a phone (not always true, but in some cases). For instance, my aunt wanted to buy an unlocked Android phone to use on AT&T, and eventually switch to Verizon with that same phone. Verizon reps at the store basically said they weren't down with her opening up a line if she wasn't buying a phone. I'm sure it's a commission thing, which I understand. However, I'm sure this is not always the case, but could be for people's local store or preferred carrier.
    07-15-17 12:19 PM