Due to T-Mobile shutting down Sprint 3G for calling, I'm prepared to finally give up on my BlackBerry KeyONE that has worked flawlessly since 2018 May (replaced battery myself and working well). I'm wondering if I bring in a different VoLTE compatible device, activate it with a new SIM, and then transfer that SIM back to the KeyONE would it work? I seemed to recall this device had all the radios to do VoLTE, but could be T-Mobile will not be using the specific bands by the 2022 deadline.
    06-23-21 09:03 PM
    Using the Network Cell Info app, I see that my K1 is connected on Band 4 (pretty good speeds actually). I also see on T-mobile's site that this same band can do VoLTE. Or do compatible devices need at least two compatible bands to operate VoLTE and regular LTE data at same time?
    06-23-21 09:12 PM
    Pretty sure the keyone will continue to work. Did you get a message saying it wouldnt?
    06-23-21 09:17 PM
    Yes. And the T-Mobile compatibility site says my IMEI will not work. But just looking at the LTE bands it seems it would.
    06-23-21 09:31 PM
    the hardware doesnt matter. They can and will just blacklist the device if they want. ATT is basically doing the same and Tmob actually seemed most receptive.
    06-23-21 09:34 PM
    I guess I will have that spare phone on standby, get it activated then put the T-Mobile card right back into this K1 and see what happens!
    06-24-21 11:49 AM
    I guess I will have that spare phone on standby, get it activated then put the T-Mobile card right back into this K1 and see what happens!
    Why even switch the SIM if it keeps working fine?
    06-24-21 04:51 PM
    I'm fairly confident that it won't work starting next year. The reason is this K1 makes all calls and texts over the 3G radio. Without the device being forced over via OTA programming / new SIM to utilize VoLTE, then it would continue to attempt to make calls / text over a non existent 3G band.
    Faustavian likes this.
    06-24-21 09:46 PM
    Due to T-Mobile shutting down Sprint 3G for calling, I'm prepared to finally give up on my BlackBerry KeyONE that has worked flawlessly since 2018 May (replaced battery myself and working well). I'm wondering if I bring in a different VoLTE compatible device, activate it with a new SIM, and then transfer that SIM back to the KeyONE would it work? I seemed to recall this device had all the radios to do VoLTE, but could be T-Mobile will not be using the specific bands by the 2022 deadline.
    The KeyONE has a GSM version and a CDMA version with different model numbers. The CDMA version (the one you own) is BBB100-3 and this will not work on T-Mobile or AT&T period as it doesn't have the network bands necessary to have service on that particular device on those carriers but will work on Sprint or Verizon just fine (at the time of it's release). The BBB100-1 will work on GSM carriers but not on CDMA carriers. I'd search eBay for a keyONE BBB100-1 unlocked or verified to not be blacklisted and use that phone on T-Mobile. I have a KeyONE AT&T Black Edition variant (BBB100-1) and it works just fine on T-Mobile towers. I believe the silver BBB100-1 variants also use VOLTE. VOLTE sim cards will not work on a non-VOLTE device as it will search for a 3G or 4G only towers.
    Last edited by LaGrua00; 06-28-21 at 01:02 PM.
    Faustavian likes this.
    06-28-21 12:35 PM
    The KeyONE has a GSM version and a CDMA version with different model numbers. The CDMA version (the one you own) is BBB100-3 and this will not work on T-Mobile or AT&T period as it doesn't have the network bands necessary to have service on that particular device on those carriers but will work on Sprint or Verizon just fine (at the time of it's release). The BBB100-1 will work on GSM carriers but not on CDMA carriers. I'd search eBay for a keyONE BBB100-1 unlocked or verified to not be blacklisted and use that phone on T-Mobile. I have a KeyONE AT&T Black Edition variant (BBB100-1) and it works just fine on T-Mobile towers. I believe the silver BBB100-1 variants also use VOLTE. VOLTE sim cards will not work on a non-VOLTE device as it will search for a 3G or 4G only towers.
    The KEYone -039 variant is the best choice for T-Mobile for now in USA as long as your area isn’t Band 66 dependent. Sadly this appears to be part of the overall T-Mobile upgrades to network even without 5G implementation.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    06-28-21 01:18 PM
    The KEYone -039 variant is the best choice for T-Mobile for now in USA as long as your area isn’t Band 66 dependent. Sadly this appears to be part of the overall T-Mobile upgrades to network even without 5G implementation.
    Right! I'm in PHX so I'm not to sure if my area is 66 dependent but I get LTE just fine. But I remember when I was looking for my KeyONE, I had to do a lot of research in regards to which model will work for T-Mobile, because I was on Sprint before it was purchased by them and I knew that I was planning on merging my account to T-Mobile, I found that some worked and some didn't.
    06-28-21 01:29 PM
    Right! I'm in PHX so I'm not to sure if my area is 66 dependent but I get LTE just fine. But I remember when I was looking for my KeyONE, I had to do a lot of research in regards to which model will work for T-Mobile, because I was on Sprint before it was purchased by them and I knew that some worked and some didn't.
    Here on the Florida Gulf Coast, band 4 was pretty good coverage on T-Mobile as primary KEYone band used. You’ll know if band 66 is replacing band 4 if you find pockets of low to no coverage increasing.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    06-28-21 01:34 PM
    Here on the Florida Gulf Coast, band 4 was pretty good coverage on T-Mobile as primary KEYone band used. You’ll know if band 66 is replacing band 4 if you find pockets of low to no coverage increasing.
    I guess I'll find out when that goes into effect. I'll probably get a new android or Key 2 by then
    06-28-21 01:38 PM
    I guess I'll find out when that goes into effect. I'll probably get a new android or Key 2 by then
    If OM offers something eventually and it's of interest to you.... that's the best option no.

2022 and onward is not the time to be using an Android 8 phone with three year old hardware.... that no USA carriers have put on any officially supported list.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    06-28-21 01:49 PM
    If OM offers something eventually and it's of interest to you.... that's the best option no.

2022 and onward is not the time to be using an Android 8 phone with three year old hardware.... that no USA carriers have put on any officially supported list.
    Not like there's much of exciting hardware from the tiny list of supported manufacturers anyway...aside from a flew folds/flips.

Aside from the above, the mobile market has never been so stale. For objects that everyone uses so often and for so many use cases, you would think there would be a wider variety of actual options.
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-28-21 04:36 PM
    Not like there's much of exciting hardware from the tiny list of supported manufacturers anyway...aside from a flew folds/flips.

Aside from the above, the mobile market has never been so stale. For objects that everyone uses so often and for so many use cases, you would think there would be a wider variety of actual options.
    Inventories cost money and if people don’t really care in large enough numbers, price and support win in the end. I suspect that LG won’t be the last major OEM to drop out. If people would support $2K low volume devices, you’d see more variety.
    06-28-21 04:44 PM
    Inventories cost money and if people don’t really care in large enough numbers, price and support win in the end. I suspect that LG won’t be the last major OEM to drop out. If people would support $2K low volume devices, you’d see more variety.
    People do support $2k foldables though, as Samsung is about to unveil their third iteration. Or maybe they too have had disappointing sales so far but are hoping that it will pick up again.

A $900 slider doesn't sound so bad in comparison, and it's a less risky form factor from a durability standpoint. Had they released a "Z Slide" alongside the Fold, I think we already know which one would have ended up getting A LOT more warranty returns/exchanges.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    06-28-21 04:46 PM
    Well there’s your variety, foldables…..the problem is solved
    06-28-21 04:48 PM
    People do support $2k foldables though, as Samsung is about to unveil their third iteration. Or maybe they too have had disappointing sales so far but are hoping that it will pick up again.

A $900 slider doesn't sound so bad in comparison, and it's a less risky form factor from a durability standpoint. Had they released a "Z Slide" alongside the Fold, I think we already know which one would have ended up getting A LOT more warranty returns/exchanges.
    Yeah but which one would have gotten a lot fewer sales?

I'll be honest I'm surprised that it's not an option... Samsung has almost two dozen slab type devices in their portfolio. Does seem like there ought to be room for something "different".

But I look at sales from Planet Computers, Fxtec, Unihertz and even BBMo... and I understand why "different" is a scary thing for any manufacture.

While you think it would sale great... you don't have anything to back that up, other than dreams and wishes. Samsung has ways to gauge market interest with focus groups and watching trends and even talking to big cooperate customers to see what they want. But someone like BofA saying they have an interest in 400 units isn't going to move Samsung... now if they had asked for 50K or 100K units....
    06-29-21 08:01 AM

I'll be honest I'm surprised that it's not an option... Samsung has almost two dozen slab type devices in their portfolio. Does seem like there ought to be room for something "different".

But I look at sales from Planet Computers, Fxtec, Unihertz and even BBMo... and I understand why "different" is a scary thing for any manufacture.

While you think it would sale great... you don't have anything to back that up, other than dreams and wishes. Samsung has ways to gauge market interest with focus groups and watching trends and even talking to big cooperate customers to see what they want. But someone like BofA saying they have an interest in 400 units isn't going to move Samsung... now if they had asked for 50K or 100K units....
    And you are assuming they haven't already done the market research.

Regardless, you stated it yourself--the offerings that are out there have not sold well and/or enough to warrant a large corporation bothering with it.
    06-29-21 10:22 AM

Regardless, you stated it yourself--the offerings that are out there have not sold well and/or enough to warrant a large corporation bothering with it.
    I sure they are always looking at ways to differentiate..... and make money.

So yeah I'm sure they have ran the "numbers".
    06-29-21 01:02 PM

Except that they usually do tend to sell better when being made and marketed by a major corporation such as Samsung.
    06-29-21 04:11 PM
    Except that they usually do tend to sell better when being made and marketed by a major corporation such as Samsung.
    But is it enough to waste time, resources, and R&D? I highly doubt it. They are going for high volume.
    06-29-21 04:13 PM

Sure does seem to be a place for one QWERTY style phone. "Different is a scary thing" ? What could be possibly scarier than spending billions on R&D on foldable tech, only to see the first finished product have a disastrous pre-launch, and warranty returns way higher than other founds?
    They wouldn't be facing that much cost with sliders or fixed PKB, failure rate is barely higher than slabs. Much less of a risk.
    bh7171 likes this.
    06-29-21 04:14 PM
    Sure does seem to be a place for one QWERTY style phone. "Different is a scary thing" ? What could be possibly scarier than spending billions on R&D on foldable tech, only to see the first finished product have a disastrous pre-launch, and warranty returns way higher than other founds?
    They wouldn't be facing that much cost with sliders or fixed PKB, failure rate is barely higher than slabs. Much less of a risk.
    Yes, but as usual, the company takes bad lemons and makes decent lemonade from the whole situation. Part of the foldable experience has been fortifying tech leader image with Android OEMs while standing firm against the Apple/iOS superiority tech image as well. Similar to Google and Microsoft still in mobile devices too for various reasons.

The PKB suffers from an image standpoint, fair or not, of antiquated, old technology and lack of innovation. However, if the OEMs thought PKB, with or without BlackBerry name, was a road to profits, there’s plenty of money available to spend. The OEMs have internal data and the lessons from TCL as respected competition, to make informed decisions.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-21 04:29 PM
43 12