So, I checked, and I can get a new KEYone and a Moto 4 (for my wife), together with unlimited text, data, and calling for $20 LESS per month than I pay just to use our two Z10s on AT&T.

It's a good deal, and I can reward Sprint for carrying the phone I want, at the expense of dealing with Sprint and a locked device that doesn't have GSM.

Should I do it?

I welcome all opinions and advice for the next 48 hours!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-31-17 09:02 AM
    So, I checked, and I can get a new KEYone and a Moto 4 (for my wife), together with unlimited text, data, and calling for $20 LESS per month than I pay just to use our two Z10s on AT&T.

It's a good deal, and I can reward Sprint for carrying the phone I want, at the expense of dealing with Sprint and a locked device that doesn't have GSM.

Should I do it?

All I can say is be careful, sprint has a pretty bad customer service rating. Even worse than AT&T and Verizon if you can believe that.....the other is how fast will it get updates?
    07-31-17 09:33 AM
    Sprint is a different network.... they are cheaper for a reason. Some people in some areas that's not an issue, for other they just aren't an option.

Checking with friends and family is really the best option in choosing carriers for your area.
    anon(9742832) and FF22 like this.
    07-31-17 09:34 AM
    I cannot stand sprint. Worst customer experience I've ever had.
    07-31-17 09:36 AM
    I agree with all the negative statements about Sprint's CS. As for coverage, Sprint's coverage is fine where I am, and I'm on WiFi most of the time for data in any case.

BUT:

Here is the cost breakdown for a KEYone and a Moto 4 (for my wife) for the next 18 months:

AT&T: $549 + $99 + 18*$140 = $3,168

Sprint: $122*18 = $2,196 (both phones included)

The difference is almost $1K. I'm not sure that slightly better coverage and support is worth that much!

Byrese likes this.
    07-31-17 09:48 AM
    I agree with all the negative statements about Sprint's CS. As for coverage, Sprint's coverage is fine where I am, and I'm on WiFi most of the time for data in any case.

BUT:

Here is the cost breakdown for a KEYone and a Moto 4 (for my wife) for the next 18 months:

AT&T: $549 + $99 + 18*$140 = $3,168

Sprint: $122*18 = $2,196 (both phones included)

The difference is almost $1K. I'm not sure that slightly better coverage and support is worth that much!

Take out the phone cost since AT&T does not offer the phone. Than itemize out the cost, once you have that number include the full cost of the phone and then add in the aggravation factor.
    07-31-17 09:57 AM
    Take out the phone cost since AT&T does not offer the phone. Than itemize out the cost, once you have that number include the full cost of the phone and then add in the aggravation factor.
    The costs I gave are my total out of pocket costs over 18 months for 1 KEYone, 1 Moto 4 and 18 months of cellular service.

It's an apples to apples comparison.

If I stay with AT&T, I pay $648 to Amazon and $2,520 to AT&T.

If I switch to Sprint, I pay $2,196 to them and get both phones for that price.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 07-31-17 at 10:15 AM.
    07-31-17 10:03 AM
    keep in mind with carrier phones that updates are also pushed through the carrier. im not sure what sprints track record is for pushing out the security updates but just keep that in mind.
    07-31-17 10:18 AM
    keep in mind with carrier phones that updates are also pushed through the carrier. im not sure what sprints track record is for pushing out the security updates but just keep that in mind.
    That's a great point, and it's my main concern. But, considering the money I'll save, I may take the chance.

07-31-17 10:27 AM
    The costs I gave are my total out of pocket costs over 18 months for 1 KEYone, 1 Moto 4 and 18 months of cellular service.

It's an apples to apples comparison.

If I stay with AT&T, I pay $648 to Amazon and $2,520 to AT&T.

If I switch to Sprint, I pay $2,196 to them and get both phones for that price.

For some reason my last response did not post. In the end cash is king, as they say eyes wide open.
    07-31-17 10:31 AM
    You've taken the time to break the numbers down. The numbers clearly favor Sprint. I'd go with Sprint in a heartbeat!

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure and utterly satisfying mobile device
    07-31-17 10:38 AM
    GSM is the better standard as CDMA is limited technology! GSM coverage is much more vast in the US than limited CDMA! Think about it!
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    07-31-17 10:50 AM
    I was a Sprint customer for 14 years, started with Nextel which I still wish existed. Over the past 5-6 years they're perks and customer service has declined. The data service is so bad that I would have to turn of LTE And use only 3G. Luckily Verizon offered unlimited in February so I switched and never looked back.
    07-31-17 11:59 AM
    You've taken the time to break the numbers down. The numbers clearly favor Sprint. I'd go with Sprint in a heartbeat!

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure and utterly satisfying mobile device
    Are you trying to say you like your KeyOne..........LOL....Wooof!
    07-31-17 12:53 PM
    I have never had Sprint, but I thought that their price is a "lease" and that you would have to pay more at the end of the 18 months to "own" the phone??? Maybe I was wrong, but that is what my impression is.

Sprint Flex/lease
    07-31-17 01:28 PM
    That's correct, but the remaining balance to purchase the KEYone would only be about $120 at 18 months, which is my planning horizon. And the Moto 4 balance would be less than $60, I think.

07-31-17 01:50 PM
    Sprint is a different network.... they are cheaper for a reason. Some people in some areas that's not an issue, for other they just aren't an option.

Checking with friends and family is really the best option in choosing carriers for your area.
    This is good advice. Make sure that Sprint works in your area, by asking people that you know.
    07-31-17 02:57 PM
    GSM is the better standard as CDMA is limited technology! GSM coverage is much more vast in the US than limited CDMA! Think about it!
    ?

In the US, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. So actually more CDMA users in the US than GSM, especially in more rural areas. That said I think LTE is what really matters these days, unless you are in a low coverage area where your dropping down to 3G.... in which case your probable better off with a CDMA device. I do agree that GSM is a newer and better technology.... but that doesn't change the coverage maps.

Sprints the last carrier that I personally would go with, as they have the worst coverage in my area. But I stated before, best to check with Family and Friends, as each carrier has their strong areas and weak areas.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-31-17 03:59 PM
    Sprint does have the best record in pushing updates of all major American carrier's.....

Their customer service is awful though. Luckily, you'll hopefully never need to speak to them.
    07-31-17 04:21 PM
    I was with Nextel/Sprint from 1997 to 2008. Happy to leave them, but for the price they're offering, it will be hard not to give them another chance. As I've said before, coverage will not be an issue for me in my area, and I use WiFi (for data) most of the time, anyway, so I only need sufficient coverage for phone calls.

07-31-17 05:56 PM
    Got a keyone, iPhone 7 on sprint with unlimited talk,text, 15 GB data for 110 a month. Not bad at all. Sprint coverage is good in my area. Only dealt with customer service 2x in two years so not too worried about CS.
    07-31-17 06:16 PM
    I was a Sprint customer for 14 years, started with Nextel which I still wish existed. Over the past 5-6 years they're perks and customer service has declined. The data service is so bad that I would have to turn of LTE And use only 3G. Luckily Verizon offered unlimited in February so I switched and never looked back.
    I was with Sprint since the late 90s. (I loved my Nextels too.) What most people are saying is correct, Sprint definitely has the cheapest pricing for unlimited, but definitely not the best data coverage. If sprint coverage works in your area then it's a good deal. Sadly I had to move on. If Sprint ever steps up their coverage I would consider them again, especially at their current pricing.
    07-31-17 06:25 PM

Should I do it?

Sprint NEEDS to offer good deals to get people to use their crappy network...
    07-31-17 09:36 PM
    That's correct, but the remaining balance to purchase the KEYone would only be about $120 at 18 months, which is my planning horizon. And the Moto 4 balance would be less than $60, I think.

Then you need to add those numbers to your breakdown. That $1k difference is down to $820, which over 18 months is about $45.56 a month, and you will have two unlocked gsm phones on a better network versus two locked cdma phones on a garbage network...
    07-31-17 09:42 PM
    My thoughts exactly.....please read this^^^¡
    07-31-17 10:07 PM
50 12