Am I missing something or is there no way to pull up suggested replacement words for a possibly misspelled word flagged with a wavy red line? Simply flagging a word as misspelled doesnt help me because I am a bad speller, and sometimes I have no clue how to correct the flagged word unless prompted with suggestions. Please note that I turned off auto-correct because I am using the KeyOne, and auto correct is more hassle than its worth for the accurate typing experience that you get with a physical keyboard. But why should spell check be tethered to auto correct? In my mind they are similar yet two distinct things.

In BB10, you would just tap the flagged word and a few word options from which to select would appear above the flagged word.

In the alternative, what are the best apps for this if I need to go that route?
    Last edited by Josh3; 01-04-18 at 11:41 AM.
    01-03-18 07:48 PM
    You should be able to tap and hold the flagged word and get suggestions. But generally speaking, the first coupla letters need to be correct.
    01-03-18 08:40 PM
    You should be able to tap and hold the flagged word and get suggestions. But generally speaking, the first coupla letters need to be correct.
    When I tap and hold the flagged word a menu pops up with two options which are "add to dictionary" and "delete." I dont want to add the misspelled word to my dictionary and I dont want to delete it. I want suggestions on how to correct it! Anyone else care to weigh in?
    01-04-18 11:40 AM
    When I tap and hold the flagged word a menu pops up with two options which are "add to dictionary" and "delete." I dont want to add the misspelled word to my dictionary and I dont want to delete it. I want suggestions on how to correct it! Anyone else care to weigh in?
    If I recall (and it is in the recesses!), there was a problem with the spell checker. Does this happen in email, texting, bbm, typing in a web form? Frankly, I'm not even getting a popup - other than copy/select-all. Nothing about adding or deleting!
    01-04-18 12:15 PM
    Trying this in the reply. My autocorrect is also disabled, and the word autocorrect is flagged. When I tap and hold, I get a list of suggested words, as well as options to add to dictionary or delete. Screenshot attached. There are no special settings to enable or disable spelling suggestions.

Edit: why can't I attach a screenshot?
    01-04-18 12:32 PM
    If I recall (and it is in the recesses!), there was a problem with the spell checker. Does this happen in email, texting, bbm, typing in a web form? Frankly, I'm not even getting a popup - other than copy/select-all. Nothing about adding or deleting!
    Thanks for this reply. Your question prompted me to look into whether the spell check isnt suggesting words across the entire platform. To my surprise, I discovered that it is indeed working in SMS text messages and bbm and skype and text messages composed within the google voice app. However, it is not working with either of my email accounts, gmail and work account. I figured maybe the HUB is causing the problem, so I went into the gmail app directly and composed an email but the same problem persists there. So now the question is why on earth would spell check work in some applications but not in an email composition?
    01-04-18 05:58 PM
    I'm having the same issue since day one.

Really a terrible inconvenience.

Hope it can get resolved soon
    01-04-18 06:43 PM
    Thanks for this reply. Your question prompted me to look into whether the spell check isnt suggesting words across the entire platform. To my surprise, I discovered that it is indeed working in SMS text messages and bbm and skype and text messages composed within the google voice app. However, it is not working with either of my email accounts, gmail and work account. I figured maybe the HUB is causing the problem, so I went into the gmail app directly and composed an email but the same problem persists there. So now the question is why on earth would spell check work in some applications but not in an email composition?
    I thought I had remembered that was the issue. Again, sometimes my memory is not bad but all I remember is the general issue and not the specifics.

There is/was an issue with the way things interact with Android and the BB spell checker or some such. So, yes, it works in some apps but not others. And I think the problem has been around for eons - well, since the Priv which is more than a year+ I recall it was discussed with BB people but obviously it still is a problem. I think folks were using a ridiculous workaround. For important stuff, they compose in one of the apps where Spellcheck works, cut and paste back into the email. Convoluted - yes.

Good luck.
    01-04-18 07:27 PM
    I thought I had remembered that was the issue. Again, sometimes my memory is not bad but all I remember is the general issue and not the specifics.

There is/was an issue with the way things interact with Android and the BB spell checker or some such. So, yes, it works in some apps but not others. And I think the problem has been around for eons - well, since the Priv which is more than a year+ I recall it was discussed with BB people but obviously it still is a problem. I think folks were using a ridiculous workaround. For important stuff, they compose in one of the apps where Spellcheck works, cut and paste back into the email. Convoluted - yes.

Good luck.
    Just curious- You claim to be trying to recall this issue from the deep recesses of your memory which makes me assume that you arent using a Blackberry as your daily phone. If you used it as your daily phone, you would encounter this issue on a daily basis or at least be able to easily check if it exists. Have you really contributed 40,000 posts on Crackberry yet not use a Blackberry as your daily phone? I'm not trying to be snarky, Im just genuinely curious.
    Last edited by Josh3; 01-04-18 at 11:25 PM.
    01-04-18 10:00 PM
    Just curious- You claim to be trying to recall this issue from the deep recesses of your memory which makes me assume that you arent using a Blackberry as your daily phone. If you used it as your daily phone, you would encounter this issue on a daily basis or at least be able to easily check if it exists. Have you really contributed 40,000 posts on Crackberry yet not use a Blackberry as your daily phone? I'm not trying to be snarky, Im just genuinely curious.
    KeyOne and before that the Priv (which actually is backup phone). The the Z30 sits on a wireless charging easel feeding BLEND which I still use on my desktop computer and a laptop or two. BB since 2009. But that does not mean I remember all of the issues or that they affect me equally. I tend to use the automatic suggestions which helps with my spelling. If a spelling escapes me I will generally backspace and try some twists so that the suggestion comes up with the right spelling. But I'm also retired and might not rely on the spell checker as much as some.

And unfortunately BB (the software folks) have not solved this problem in quite a while. A few do still read the forums and occasionally comment. They have dropped into the Word Substitution (capitalization not respected) discussion most recently. Liam is his name. Might try getting his attention focused on this issue.
    Zolti likes this.
    01-04-18 11:48 PM
    KeyOne and before that the Priv (which actually is backup phone). The the Z30 sits on a wireless charging easel feeding BLEND which I still use on my desktop computer and a laptop or two. BB since 2009. But that does not mean I remember all of the issues or that they affect me equally. I tend to use the automatic suggestions which helps with my spelling. If a spelling escapes me I will generally backspace and try some twists so that the suggestion comes up with the right spelling. But I'm also retired and might not rely on the spell checker as much as some.

And unfortunately BB (the software folks) have not solved this problem in quite a while. A few do still read the forums and occasionally comment. They have dropped into the Word Substitution (capitalization not respected) discussion most recently. Liam is his name. Might try getting his attention focused on this issue.
    I am having the same issue- Blackberry hub - Gmail app , and like you said SMS works fine.
    01-09-18 02:10 PM
    I am having the same issue- Blackberry hub - Gmail app , and like you said SMS works fine.
    I don't feel like experimenting and getting double notices or emails. I wonder if the Spell Checker works in the separate Gmail App (which I have disabled)?

and Welcome to CRACKBERRY.
    01-09-18 02:34 PM
    It is not working in the Gmail app - I have the hub and the Gmail app enabled.
    01-09-18 02:36 PM
    This is a limitation of Google Chrome and WebView on Android. WebView is used for composing email messages in Hub.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...?id=629609#c35
    FF22 likes this.
    01-09-18 02:57 PM
    This is a limitation of Google Chrome and WebView on Android. WebView is used for composing email messages in Hub.

@LiamQ,

I am not understanding- You are saying all KeyOne user dont have spell check?

Isnt this smart phone usage 101? Compose an email and expect spell check to work?
    01-09-18 04:22 PM
    He can't help it. He's old.
    OK OK OK! I'm right behind him!
    01-09-18 04:32 PM
    He can't help it. He's old.
    OK OK OK! I'm right behind him!
    At least you know your place!!! But if a mugger shows up - swap placed immediately!
    01-09-18 07:06 PM

THANKS for dropping in. I could not remember the details but thought it was a bug/issue. Hmmm, well, I see that it was raised almost a year ago - hope is fading!
    01-09-18 07:07 PM
    The spell check isn't as great as the BB10.
    01-09-18 08:36 PM
    The spell check isn't as great as the BB10.
    I am not sure what "isnt great " as according @LiamQ there is no spell check currently.
    01-09-18 10:18 PM
    I am not sure what "isnt great " as according @LiamQ there is no spell check currently.
    There is red underlining of misspelled words--that was added to the Android System WebView a year ago.

The ability to choose suggested words for the misspelling is an unfortunate omission. I'm hopeful that a future version of Google Chrome will improve that. Google says that there are plans for it but hasn't provided a timeline.
    01-10-18 08:33 AM
    There is red underlining of misspelled words--that was added to the Android System WebView a year ago.

The ability to choose suggested words for the misspelling is an unfortunate omission. I'm hopeful that a future version of Google Chrome will improve that. Google says that there are plans for it but hasn't provided a timeline.
    @LiamQ - Thank you for the reply.
    I am still baffled that Blackberry would release a phone without word suggestion. In 1995 T9 was introduced and had a full "spell check" and word suggestion - We are in 2018 now Blackberry should have enough clout to push Android to put a fix in place and not have to rely on a forum user to open a chromium.org support ticket.

No?
    01-10-18 08:51 AM

To me this is quite an oversight.

I mean to know it's misspelled means it has to have already checked it against some form of dictionary.

So it should have been common sense to program in the alternatives based on the initial search!
    FF22 likes this.
    01-10-18 09:02 AM
    To me this is quite an oversight.

I mean to know it's misspelled means it has to have already checked it against some form of dictionary.

So it should have been common sense to program in the alternatives based on the initial search!
    What is very strange is that even the "Blackberry predictive keyboard" doesn't show the correct spelling, if its some sort of bug let them double utilize that feature- Whats worse is if you spell something wrong the "Blackberry predictive keyboard" will now suggest the wrong spelling.
    01-10-18 11:59 AM
    Spell checker was working nicely for both English and French simultaneously, but of late is poorly functioning in a number of instances...
    01-10-18 12:07 PM
60 123