Is there anything known about OTG transmission speed?

Where is the narrowest bottleneck? The device, the USB-c port itself, the cable? The peripheral?

Is backup of my 400gb microSDHC card (just because) via OTG a bad choice?
    05-23-19 02:49 PM
    Is backup of my 400gb microSDHC card (just because) via OTG a bad choice?
    I don't need to know about the speeds to tell you that that is probably not the best choice if speed is a concern.
    05-23-19 03:35 PM
    USB-C standard allows for up to 10Gbps... but cables and adapters vary.
    SD Card... should be able to look up the Read/Write Speed on your card.
    Keyone.... I think the standard used with the SD625 is good for 250Mbps Read and 125Mbps Write, but you have the OS running on this too, so you'll never get that .

My guess it would be the SD Card... see what it's read speed is rated.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-19 03:39 PM
    Also note that many mobile devices using USB-C connectors are actually still using a USB 2.0 bus - and this is an allowable configuration. I can't speak for the Key series specifically, but there have been a number of other devices that have been confirmed to be on USB 2 buses from the SoC.

Anyway, I suspect that your biggest bottleneck is either the USB bus or the SD card itself. SD cards tend to have trouble maintaining sustained write speeds, due to overheating and the controller chip on-board. Even the higher-rated ones don't always perform as advertised. I used to be a big SanDisk user, but testing (mine and others) has shown Samsung to be the leader in this regard.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-19 11:39 PM
    Also note that many mobile devices using USB-C connectors are actually still using a USB 2.0 bus - and this is an allowable configuration. I can't speak for the Key series specifically, but there have been a number of other devices that have been confirmed to be on USB 2 buses from the SoC.

Anyway, I suspect that your biggest bottleneck is either the USB bus or the SD card itself. SD cards tend to have trouble maintaining sustained write speeds, due to overheating and the controller chip on-board. Even the higher-rated ones don't always perform as advertised. I used to be a big SanDisk user, but testing (mine and others) has shown Samsung to be the leader in this regard.
    Big thing is many buy cards that say 90Mbs... but don't bother with the fine print that says 10Mbs write speed. High write speeds are only on the more expensive options...

But if someone is looking for a portable storage option to backup their phone... they need to look at External SSD drive. Can get one for about the same price as a high end 400GB micro sd card, but it's much faster.

Bottle neck then is the device.... maybe one day they add high speed storage controllers in phones?
    rolfep likes this.
    05-24-19 10:28 AM