Hey everyone,

Has anyone had luck using speech to text, and inserting the correct punctuation? For example, I'm coming from Windows 10 Mobile. On that platform, I used to be able to say "hey comma how are you doing question mark" and it would produce a text that read "Hey, how are you doing?"

Whenever I try this on android, it gets all of my words right but does not insert the grammar I want. Frustrating.

Thoughts (or advice)?
    Last edited by Edietel; 05-07-18 at 04:36 AM.
    05-07-18 04:12 AM
    Hey everyone,

Has anyone had luck using speech to text, and inserting the correct grammar? For example, I'm coming from Windows 10 Mobile. On that platform, I used to be able to say "hey comma how are you doing question mark" and it would produce a text that read "Hey, how are you doing?"

Whenever I try this on android, it gets all of my words right but does not insert the grammar I want. Frustrating.

Thoughts (or advice)?
    You mean the "punctuation" marks, not grammar.
    05-07-18 04:34 AM
    You mean the "punctuation" marks, not grammar.
    Correct. I caught this mistake, but I can't seem to be able to edit the title of my post...
    05-07-18 04:37 AM
    Correct. I caught this mistake, but I can't seem to be able to edit the title of my post...
    You can edit the body of your post, but only a mod can edit the title. I'm not sure why editing the title by the poster is not allowed, it might have to do with indexing or not.
    Now to your question I have had some success in Android putting in punctuation, but it isn't perfect.
    05-07-18 05:24 AM
    Somebody appears to have edited it for me. Thank you, somebody!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-07-18 04:34 PM
    Somebody appears to have edited it for me. Thank you, somebody!
    You're welcome.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-07-18 04:37 PM
    You're welcome.
    Ahem! (g)
    05-07-18 06:17 PM
    I am talking to it right now, so what I do is when I speak I pause for a second, and then I say the word,

the above was an actual test of Google voice. what I noticed was it's almost impossible for the voice to actually write the word comma, instead of always adding the ','
    05-07-18 06:23 PM
    another tough thing for me is a new line or carriage return to use an old term.

how does everyone make a new line when speaking to their phone?
    05-07-18 06:24 PM
    another tough thing for me is a new line or carriage return to use an old term.

how does everyone make a new line when speaking to their phone?
    That has always been a problem for me.
    05-07-18 06:37 PM
    WeChat has a built-in speech to text functionality, more intelligent then Google or BB speech Input. If I have a pause in the middle of the sentence, it will automatically insert a punctuation, at least a comma in the middle.
    05-07-18 06:57 PM
    Hey everyone,

Has anyone had luck using speech to text, and inserting the correct punctuation? For example, I'm coming from Windows 10 Mobile. On that platform, I used to be able to say "hey comma how are you doing question mark" and it would produce a text that read "Hey, how are you doing?"

Thoughts (or advice)?
    I have never had any issues with this. It always puts in the punctuation marks that I ask for.
    05-07-18 07:29 PM
    I am going to try and enter a new line in this I'm going to pause for a second and then I'm going to say

hey look it just worked. so what I did was, when I stop talking I pause for about 3 seconds and then I said the words new line and I also said that word enter.

So there it works again, the key is when you say the word new line or the word enter you need to pause for go 3 seconds before you say it and then it understands that it's more for formatting that it is for actual words.

Give it a try just make sure you have a long pause after the. Before you say that word new line

^this was all done with Google voice.
    05-08-18 07:34 AM
    Google voice here. Works flawlessly for English, doesn't work at all for other languages (at least that's my observation). From my understanding, one either has a Google assistant (if using English as the primary/only? language AND residing in a country/area for which Google has made it available for the user to install the Google assistant AND one has a phone that is compatible...according to Google's call...) or Google voice. Dunno as for Google assistant as I do not meet at least 2 of the aforementioned conditions, but it does work flawlessly for me with Google voice + English.

Is it Google's voice dictation you're trying to use or the built in BlackBerry one?
    05-08-18 08:21 AM
    frankly, the voice to text was super good on Passport bb10 ...on the subsequent androberries, it is hit/miss being that updates sometimes render it poor but subsequently improves to "less poor" ... occasionally (I have keyboards and languages English-primary, French) suddenly thinks I am speaking French... the whole functionality is annoyingly spotty...
    05-08-18 08:32 AM