There is a phone called Moto Z and variants. I understand there will soon be a mod that attaches to the back of this phone to create a landscape pkb. Photos are available online.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about a moto Z phone, arguably with better specs than the keyone, using landscape pkb vs a BlackBerry pkb (and hub and dtek software).

Some of the moto Z variants are premium grade phones.

I, for one, LOVE landscape pkbs. This is one reason I've stuck with my passport thus far. I like the bold pkbs too but they feel a little cramped to me, and I type more slowly on them.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    xpxpxpxp likes this.
    07-03-17 04:40 PM
    Only two other people in the world like landscape keyboards. Lol
    07-03-17 04:46 PM
    Only two other people in the world like landscape keyboards. Lol
    I guess I'm the other one, then. I've loved landscape keyboards since Nokia's Communicator line. And I've had no less than 3 different Android landscape keyboard sliders.
    07-03-17 05:05 PM
    other folks have tried the pbk attachment thing: Samsung still have a pbk option for their s7 and s8 devices. neither of which has gain traction. so while it may be technically interesting I don't think it'll become a true keyone competitor.
    07-03-17 05:51 PM
    Uh, the samsung thing is an ugly diaper. The moto thing makes the phone look and operate just like a landscape phone.

I would argue that many fans of the passport enjoy the wider pkb, which is what a landscape phone offers.

Doesn't mean I'm getting the moto mod. But I'm happy to consider any phone with a pkb.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-03-17 06:02 PM
    Here's hoping TCL comes out with a Passport size KEYone. I personally wouldn't buy it but I know there are some die hard passport fans out there that would.
    tazcubed likes this.
    07-03-17 07:20 PM
    Here's hoping TCL comes out with a Passport size KEYone. I personally wouldn't buy it but I know there are some die hard passport fans out there that would.
    The minimum screen size ratio you can have with Android is 3 to 2 unlike the Passport which is 1 to 1. If any one wants an Android that is the same width as a Passport they'll need to have really big pockets!
    mbirth likes this.
    07-03-17 08:13 PM
    They won't. Google will only allow a 4:3 or 16:9 screen aspect ratio. Its why there wasn't an Android Passport in the first place.
    07-03-17 08:14 PM
    I love landscape keyboards too and will most likely get the Moto when it comes out if the reviews are good of both the phone and the mod...if the mod even happens. I know there was positive news of the kickstarter thing but who knows.
    07-03-17 10:29 PM
    My last landscape keyboard slider was actually a Motorola running Android (can't remember the name). It wasn't a very good phone, tbh. The main problem was that the keyboard was not integrated into the OS at all, and I think this mod will be the same. The K1 is much better in that regard. Even though I also personally prefer bigger keyboards, I will stick with the K1. One of the reasons I like landscape keyboards might sound rather childish: Using emulators to play old-school games. The K1 doesn't have a wide enough screen to make that enjoyable, unfortunately. However, for trilingual people it provides the best experience of any phone, including the Passport. The BlackBerry keyboard and launcher software is stellar and provides The Best multilanguage integration and word predictions! I was pleasantly surprised just how well-integrated the keyboard is on the K1 (being Android and all...). I was afraid it was going to be just another 'add-on' with no further integration into the OS...
    07-03-17 11:13 PM
    I loved my Sidekick 2 and 3, but once I went to BlackBerry, I never looked back (save for the month or so I *only* used an iPhone before using my Classic aside it earlier this year).
    07-03-17 11:17 PM
    There is a phone called Moto Z and variants. I understand there will soon be a mod that attaches to the back of this phone to create a landscape pkb. Photos are available online.
    Here's their project page. Looks intriguing, but it sure does add a lot of thickness to the phone.
    07-04-17 05:59 AM
    I have a Z Force and love the phone, but the mod holds zero interest for me. Looks cramped at the top row, too dang wide to be quick to type on, bulky as heck, and you can't use the camera without sliding the keyboard out. I'll stick to my KEYᵒⁿᵉ, and have an incredible, unique slab as a fallback phone.
    07-04-17 09:19 AM
    I guess I'm the other one, then. I've loved landscape keyboards since Nokia's Communicator line. And I've had no less than 3 different Android landscape keyboard sliders.
    Add me to the count then as well. I have always loved landscape pkb with my favorite being the Sidekick, particularly the lx09.
    07-04-17 08:08 PM
    i had the Moto Z Force last year. I will probably pick up the Z2 Force and install Blackberry software
    07-05-17 09:42 AM
    Even if they started with the Passport's width, I don't think it would be all that much bigger than the Galaxy Note - would it?
    07-05-17 04:46 PM
    Even if they started with the Passport's width, I don't think it would be all that much bigger than the Galaxy Note - would it?
    I don't know how big the Galaxy Note is but for Android to work on a Passport sized phone the Passport would have to be roughly 1 1/2 " taller than the BB10 version if you maintain the same width. That would put it at about 7" tall.
    07-05-17 09:15 PM
    Have the last two versions of the Communicator. Tears of nostalgia and what might have been.. Great phones.
    Barbareren likes this.
    07-05-17 09:23 PM
    I don't know how big the Galaxy Note is but for Android to work on a Passport sized phone the Passport would have to be roughly 1 1/2 " taller than the BB10 version if you maintain the same width. That would put it at about 7" tall.
    At around 7" tall it's not significantly taller than the larger phones (Galaxy 8+, iPhone 7 Plus - both about 6.5" tall). I wish Blackberry would take a chance with a larger phone than return to a smaller one like the KeyOne.
    07-06-17 12:30 PM