Unless there are some "serious" technical issues with the software or hardware, launching an unfinished product seems acceptable and may actually be the norm nowadays. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S8, according to Android Central, the Bixby assistant is only half finished at the moment on American Carriers and even missing probably one of the biggest features on Verizon (snapping a photo an item and buying it on Amazon). And the Germans won't even have Bixby at launch.

So that leads to me ask about the KEYone delays. It can't be software because the Aurora is already out with Nougat, and even CBK has had a working model since February. So I'm thinking it probably has more to do with delays in certification, distribution, and logistics difficulties? Which is why the UK is getting pre-orders before anyone else and wasn't the FCC certification a little late too? That also explains Steve Cistulli's tweet about making sure there is enough inventory for the "demand." Also, I'm not sure how previous phone launches with Alcatel have been, but I'm pretty sure the KEYone is the highest profile phone launch they've ever had to deal with, right?
    04-26-17 04:10 PM
    I guess we will find out by the end of the week. I'm in no rush, I want them to get it right
    pooyam likes this.
    04-26-17 04:31 PM
    Does it matter? I am happy that it is finally going to be released, so all this stressing will be over.
    Bennett Ragan likes this.
    04-26-17 04:42 PM
    Unless there are some "serious" technical issues with the software or hardware, launching an unfinished product seems acceptable and may actually be the norm nowadays. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S8, according to Android Central, the Bixby assistant is only half finished at the moment on American Carriers and even missing probably one of the biggest features on Verizon (snapping a photo an item and buying it on Amazon). And the Germans won't even have Bixby at launch.

So that leads to me ask about the KEYone delays. It can't be software because the Aurora is already out with Nougat, and even CBK has had a working model since February. So I'm thinking it probably has more to do with delays in certification, distribution, and logistics difficulties? Which is why the UK is getting pre-orders before anyone else and wasn't the FCC certification a little late too? That also explains Steve Cistulli's tweet about making sure there is enough inventory for the "demand." Also, I'm not sure how previous phone launches with Alcatel have been, but I'm pretty sure the KEYone is the highest profile phone launch they've ever had to deal with, right?
    Eh, it might be ok for others, I'd rather have a finished product myself.

And even though it's obvious, there are always those people who would claim I'm trying to make a broad statement for the entire market or company. This is my own opinion for my own device, I can only speak for myself.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-26-17 05:09 PM
    Eh, it might be ok for others, I'd rather have a finished product myself.

And even though it's obvious, there are always those people who would claim I'm trying to make a broad statement for the entire market or company. This is my own opinion for my own device, I can only speak for myself.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Well, "when" is a device really "Finished"?? It is always getting updates. I think a device is finished when it is EOL.

I think as long as the product does all of the core features (calls, internet, maps, bluetooth, wi-fi, etc) and has no "serious" software or hardware issues, it should be ready for release.

For example, I recently bought a Unimax U673C android phone for my dad who uses that free Lifeline phone service (free phone service for low-income seniors) in California and I found out that uninstalling/disabling the Google App bricks the phone when you reset it (keeps it in continuous bootloop) and the only solution is factory reset. Stuff like that shouldn't be released to market.. but I guess, for a super super low-budget phone, from a company that hasn't updated their website since 2012 and has a non-working company email address when I try to contact them for bugs and questions.. it makes sense that they won't really do extensive testing on it.
    04-26-17 06:10 PM
    If the word that is out is accurate, it is being released in Selfridges UK tomorrow. That is actually not a delay, or not much of one. Didn't they say "available starting in April"?
    Aside from that, I think it is prudent to have as many bugs ironed out as possible before the release. The first Privs had some issues that were fixed with updates. However, the reviews that came out at launch mentioned these things over and over. These impressions lingered on in people's minds. When I got mine shortly after launch some things were already resolved, and more things were as updates rolled out. But those un-updated reviews... they stayed.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 04-26-17 at 11:56 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-26-17 07:10 PM
    If the word that is out is accurate, it is being released in Selfridges UK tomorrow. That is actually not a delay, or not much of one. Didn't they say "available starting in April"?
    Aside from that, I think it is prudent to have as many bugs ironed out as possible before the release. The first Privs had some issues that were fixed with updates. However, the reviews that came out at launch mentioned these things over and over. These impressions lingered on in people's minds. When I got mine shortly after launch some things were already resolved, and more thing were as updates rolled out. But those un-updated reviews... they stayed.
    Yes, I believe blatant performance issues and bugs need to be ironed out before release... That's part of my mentioning the Core Features and Functionality of the phone is working and there are no "serious" issues.. As long as everything works as it should, it should be released! Lol.. Kinda like the Samsung Launch.. all the Core phone features work as it should.. but it's incomplete because bixby isn't complete.
    04-26-17 07:25 PM
    I'm personally ok with getting my hand on a device that has incomplete software, knowing they'll address the unresolved issues.
    But as said above, these things will result in bad reviews for the general market and that's not a good thing for a brand trying to revive itself. So agreed, let's make it right before it comes out. That, even though I get frustrated waiting decades for it.
    04-26-17 08:13 PM
    Unless there are some "serious" technical issues with the software or hardware, launching an unfinished product seems acceptable and may actually be the norm nowadays. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S8,
    Samsung as a brand can take the hit. It won't matter. Even the Amazing Exploding Note 7 didn't matter. Samsung and Apple could release utter **** and it wouldn't matter.

BlackBerry as a brand cannot. The KeyOne cannot afford any but the most minor missteps.
    hoopitz likes this.
    04-26-17 08:31 PM
    Samsung as a brand can take the hit. It won't matter. Even the Amazing Exploding Note 7 didn't matter. Samsung and Apple could release utter **** and it wouldn't matter.

BlackBerry as a brand cannot. The KeyOne cannot afford any but the most minor missteps.
    Yup ... this.

Aside from my personal preference of having a fully functional phone, I don't think it would benefit the BlackBerry brand to ship something half baked. As far as I know, the KEYone isn't sporting any big new features (a la Bixby), so pretty much EVERY feature of it is going to be a core feature.

Even though the Aurora is running Nougat, adding a Keyboard is a whole new ballgame. Impossible to know what the real reason for the delay was, but according to Steve, we should be finding out something more tomorrow, and I. Am. Excited!
    04-26-17 09:31 PM