I didn't need a new phone.

I didn't want a new phone.

But an idle mind is the devil's playground as the saying goes... and there I was... reading unflattering reviews... watching unflattering videos. It seemed that outside of BlackBerry world... the general consensus was that the KEYOne was just an "OK" phone with unimpressive hardware at best. Most agreed that BlackBerry (once again) came up short... a few years too late they said.

Yet... for some unknown reason... and after verifying the seller's return policy in writing... I purchased one. I guess I thought I would test drive it for a few days then send it back for a refund. However, I still don't understand why... why did I do it? Why did I buy this unimpressive phone that isn't good for much? It lags like crazy they say. It's not a good device for videos. The screen comes off if you try to bend the phone in half. You have to stand directly under a cell tower just to get a good reception. The screen is too small. You can't text and drive. You can't do this. You can't do that. On and on they went.... and yet... I still bought one. Why?

I still remember easing the pairing knife into the slit of the cardboard box... then gently sliding it along the edge of the flap until the box opened... while still shaking my head in disgust that I had indeed purchased this worthless phone. Removing the packaging, I reached in, and pulled out the Blackberry branded KEYOne box. At that point, the only thought going through my mind was how it was packaged in a way that was going to make it easy to repackage for the return. That caused me to smile as I pictured the day of when the refund will hit my bank account. So... two slits into the seal... and I was unenthusiastically ready for the unveiling. I could hear the repetitive, monotonous chants of "Shame... Shame.... Shame.... (ring-ring)" as the top cover gracefully rose off of the box... bracing myself for regret that was about to awash over me. Will I even need to turn it on... or perhaps just close the cover, repackage, and send it back?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! I shook my head in disbelief as reality fought though the tunnel vision which had enveloped my sight! For a brief moment, I paused... I couldn't understand... I couldn't make sense... I mean... I've seen the phone before... pictures... videos... yet I was completely taken aback at how unexpectedly awesome it looked in person. I was almost afraid to remove it from the box... not wanting to vaporize this beautiful machine that had just appeared before my eyes. And let me tell ya... this is one damn good looking phone in person!

What has transpired since that moment is surely something that I had not expected. I'm not sure exactly how an unimpressive phone with subpar hardware came out of nowhere and rocked my world, but it has. Return the phone you ask? Well, they can have my KEYOne when they pry it from my cold, dead, fingers. The moral of my story isn't to provide another technical review, but rather, it's just a simple reminder of a lesson the KEYOne has taught me. No matter how many reviews you read... videos you watch... message board posts you scour through... at the end of the day... there's only one review that matters - yours.
    06-24-17 10:26 AM
    Youre so spot on.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    06-24-17 10:57 AM
    What swayed me was Phil Nickenson's review. Here is a guy that can use any android device he wants and he uses the K1 as his daily driver. Speaks volumes.

For me, as a heavy message user, the keyboard is an absolute life saver. This device is perfect for the way I need to use my device. In the end, that is all that really matters.
    MatthiasHannover likes this.
    06-24-17 11:03 AM
    Not sure what reviews you were reading. Most of them have been positive.
    06-24-17 11:13 AM
    I didn't need a new phone.

I didn't want a new phone.

But an idle mind is the devil's playground as the saying goes... and there I was... reading unflattering reviews... watching unflattering videos. It seemed that outside of BlackBerry world... the general consensus was that the KEYOne was just an "OK" phone with unimpressive hardware at best. Most agreed that BlackBerry (once again) came up short... a few years too late they said.

Yet... for some unknown reason... and after verifying the seller's return policy in writing... I purchased one. I guess I thought I would test drive it for a few days then send it back for a refund. However, I still don't understand why... why did I do it? Why did I buy this unimpressive phone that isn't good for much? It lags like crazy they say. It's not a good device for videos. The screen comes off if you try to bend the phone in half. You have to stand directly under a cell tower just to get a good reception. The screen is too small. You can't text and drive. You can't do this. You can't do that. On and on they went.... and yet... I still bought one. Why?

I still remember easing the pairing knife into the slit of the cardboard box... then gently sliding it along the edge of the flap until the box opened... while still shaking my head in disgust that I had indeed purchased this worthless phone. Removing the packaging, I reached in, and pulled out the Blackberry branded KEYOne box. At that point, the only thought going through my mind was how it was packaged in a way that was going to make it easy to repackage for the return. That caused me to smile as I pictured the day of when the refund will hit my bank account. So... two slits into the seal... and I was unenthusiastically ready for the unveiling. I could hear the repetitive, monotonous chants of "Shame... Shame.... Shame.... (ring-ring)" as the top cover gracefully rose off of the box... bracing myself for regret that was about to awash over me. Will I even need to turn it on... or perhaps just close the cover, repackage, and send it back?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! I shook my head in disbelief as reality fought though the tunnel vision which had enveloped my sight! For a brief moment, I paused... I couldn't understand... I couldn't make sense... I mean... I've seen the phone before... pictures... videos... yet I was completely taken aback at how unexpectedly awesome it looked in person. I was almost afraid to remove it from the box... not wanting to vaporize this beautiful machine that had just appeared before my eyes. And let me tell ya... this is one damn good looking phone in person!

What has transpired since that moment is surely something that I had not expected. I'm not sure exactly how an unimpressive phone with subpar hardware came out of nowhere and rocked my world, but it has. Return the phone you ask? Well, they can have my KEYOne when they pry it from my cold, dead, fingers. The moral of my story isn't to provide another technical review, but rather, it's just a simple reminder of a lesson the KEYOne has taught me. No matter how many reviews you read... videos you watch... message board posts you scour through... at the end of the day... there's only one review that matters - yours.
    Great f...ing post.

Excellent writing.
    aseeralmadi and Flatman like this.
    06-24-17 11:35 AM
    agree totally. First cool phone in a while.
    06-24-17 11:41 AM
    awesome post.. lots of people just say negative things about the keyone and don't even have the phone.. complaining about processor , memory blah blah blah Ive been using the phone since it came out and zero issues.. I don't care about having the Best benchmark test,latest chip, waterproof bulletproof fireproof, etc also I keep reading people complaining about the the phone not being bbos 10, we'll yeah it's android get over it...
    06-24-17 11:48 AM
    As already said here, spot on. I never even looked at any reviews before I decided to buy my KEYone. As soon as I seen it for real in Selfridges, I bought it. Joined here a few days later, only to find the haters trolling the cr*p out of the KEYone. Jealousy and keyboards can be a ruthless combination. Hope you have no issues at all, like me for two months now. Great post BTW :-)
    bakron1 and Bucky2016 like this.
    06-24-17 11:57 AM
    Yeah I was worried about some things and I mentioned them in the official 'I got my KeyOne' thread and none of my concerns were warranted. I'm only on day two and I guess things could change but...where is the lag that some have mentioned? I have not had even a slight stutter yet. The KeyOne is a great device.
    06-24-17 12:00 PM
    Very well written post! I have a Pixel XL in my man purse and yet, my K1 stay nestled in my hands. I'm in love with this device, so a polyamorous phone lifestyle is now the way I roll.
    gritsinct likes this.
    06-24-17 12:00 PM
    I was feeling the same way, thinking I'd probably return it after hating android and just using my iPhone, thinking, "well at least I gave BlackBerry Mobile a chance.."

But I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The KEYone is a great phone. I've had none of the hardware issues affecting some people, and find myself forgetting I even have a 7Plus in my pocket.
    06-24-17 12:25 PM
    I got a KEYᵒⁿᵉ thinking it would be a play phone next to my DTEK60, but I can't put it down! I'm really loving it.
    anon(9175377) and Bucky2016 like this.
    06-24-17 12:35 PM
    Jajaja. Read this while drinking my morning coffee and a sudden warmth enveloped my body. Not sure if it's the writing, or the bit of Kahlúa I poured in the mug.

Joking aside, great post. I, unfortunately, do not own a KEYone yet. I'm excited to get my hands on one though

Posted with  BlackBerry Classic
    christenmartin likes this.
    06-24-17 01:04 PM
    It's definitely a striking device. As you've stated it's even more beautiful in person. Congrats on the device!
    06-24-17 01:08 PM
    Very good post keep writing
    06-24-17 01:14 PM
    Perhaps after reading and watching all the reviews, your expectations were way down and somehow this "subpar" phone changed your life. It changed mine.
    06-24-17 01:25 PM
    Wow - super post OP - thank you!!!

What do you think of the call quality?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-17 01:37 PM
    The review is spot on and I ordered mine today from Amazon and looking forward to using it and writing my review of the device.
    06-24-17 02:01 PM
    what a great post! I just received my KeyOne the other day and while there have been a fair share of growing pains and a huge learning curve, having moved from the Passport, I think that I love it.

It looks amazing, and feels awesome in the hand. I didn't think that I would like the Android experience, but so far it's been good and I feel that it will only get better. Thanks again for the great post!
    06-24-17 02:22 PM
    What swayed me was Phil Nickenson's review. Here is a guy that can use any android device he wants and he uses the K1 as his daily driver. Speaks volumes.

For me, as a heavy message user, the keyboard is an absolute life saver. This device is perfect for the way I need to use my device. In the end, that is all that really matters.
    Was it Phil or Mr. Mobile who said?
    06-24-17 02:24 PM
    Yes, for some reason it is a lot more beautiful live than on pics/videos.
    And, writing texts/emails is a pure joy.
    Must add, coming from Classic, deo gratias now I've all the apps I need for work.
    06-24-17 02:47 PM
    That was enjoyable lol. Thank you
    06-24-17 03:30 PM
    I was kinda on the same boat. Prior to my Keyone purchase, the not so great reviews and videos had going back and forth on whether I should make the jump. Once I did and got my phone I was very happy with my decision. It fits my needs, it looks great, I have no screen issues, or bad reception issues.
    06-24-17 05:17 PM
    I purchased my K1 earlier this evening from Swappa. I own an iphone 7 Plus, Blackberry Classic and a Galaxy S8 Plus, yet, I can't wait to get my hands on the K1.
    06-24-17 08:30 PM
    I purchased my K1 earlier this evening from Swappa. I own an iphone 7 Plus, Blackberry Classic and a Galaxy S8 Plus, yet, I can't wait to get my hands on the K1.
    Wow, I have S8 Plus. Simply an Awsome phone. I was a BlackBerry user back in the good old days but with S8 Plus, I truly find it very difficult to even pull the trigger. I will be giving up a ton for that physical keyboard. I'm so used to virtual keyboard that I don't think I really care anymore.
    06-24-17 08:47 PM
40 12