The payment would only be made after BlackBerry Mobile contacted the preregistered email address and the person opts to pay to guarantee their smartphone order. To cut down on "buyer's remorse" when they initially just provided their email to receive updates about the new smartphone prior to launch.
    So... first you register that you're interested, then say, two weeks prior to release, you get an email which says you're guaranteed one if you put down a non-refundable deposit of $200 within say a week (which gives people plenty of time to respond/decide, instead of 24-48 hours). If there aren't enough devices, tell everyone there isn't enough so first respondents get first dibs. If you checked your email at the end of the week, then too bad, even if you're among the first to register, right? That's fair, I would guess, unless someone has a beef about being among first to register and not getting one, but they did have a whole week to respond. In another week, they can make their purchase directly with BlackBerry Mobile since BlackBerry Mobile can't send shipments to partner retailers, because that would break the exclusivity with registrants. But since BlackBerry Mobile doesn't do sales, they send people unique codes so they can buy with their preferred retailer and BlackBerry Mobile would need to shift inventory around depending on where people end up buying. People who choose not to buy in a week, lose their deposit. Oh, but wait, you can give them back their deposit because there's plenty more people that can move up in the list. You refund a few and the next time you do this, the non-refundable deposit is taken advantage of because people know they'll get back their deposit. If you don't give back the deposit, you can always show them the contract they signed and they'll be cool with it?

I guess what I'm getting at is that with limited quantities at launch, there will always be unhappy people that you can't satisfy. You can put mechanisms in place, but that only complicates matters and there will still be unhappy people. The alternative is to produce plenty of devices and risk sitting inventory which hurt you down the line, negating the positive profits at launch.
    06-03-17 07:06 PM
    So we know for sure that he wasn't also under the impression that they would be available but then for whatever reason they weren't? No wait, then you'd just say he's incompetent, lol. I'll simply stick with not knowing what happened. I'm not as smart as you guys when it comes to these things.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Don't put words in my mouth. This is botched big time. Stop defending it. If his company mis-informed him and he didn't have the right information, shame on him. It's his job to know what's going on.

Anyway, 4 days after the launch and this phone is about as available as the nintendo switch. Either pay 850 bucks or wait potentially months to get one. Quite a joke honestly.
    hjc73734 likes this.
    06-03-17 09:49 PM
    Not helpful for everyone but UK store CPW has lots in stock now so if know someone in the UK .......
    06-04-17 07:16 AM
    I ordered 5 minutes after the link went live and I still don't even have an estimated SHIP date. CDMA with one day shipping
    So nobody has received a CDMA variant?
    06-04-17 07:46 AM
    So nobody has received a CDMA variant?
    No. No one
    brunibruni likes this.
    06-04-17 08:23 AM
    i don't know what TCL's strategy about the launch. it is a bit strange to me (1) they ask all chaps interested of the phone pre-register. everybody assume that they would get at least early wind of the device launch, place to buy, price and how. instead, it was days late for the email... after it got sold out at both Amazon and Best Buy. manager customer expectation is not there. (2) Look like someone really love CBK and his friends (they should for all of loyer fans put up all the abuse by the others, they deserve with all the respect and love. or thanks for the sharp eyes of CB and who ever release the early batch on amazon. So all the die hard fan that willing to camp out over night got the batch... as sort of reward. (3) be quite frank, if I was not on vacation (it ends today) and in US, I would not stay all night and get the 1st batch of phone. Need my "ugly" sleep and jump out to fight the tiger next day. So it was pure luck for me... (it was wonderful to join the group that made history to put a un-launched phone on best selling list and sold out in 2.5 hours, what ever the volume is... a very geeky thing to do. Haven't experience that since the early launch of apple store line up to get the t-shirts). (4) it really doesn't make sense why TCL didn't do the item (1) 1st... to notify the official register list... Unless, that list containing too many names (email address) of eBay crowd try to make quick buck (like iphone)... I know Toronto some concert tickets can be gone is a fraction of seconds due to some sort of program similar to the hudge fund Quants were using...Strange marketing scheme that raise more question than answers... Can't wait for Mr. C to pop up and tweet or do an interview... Never saw in my life such an unpredicatible launch... event develop by the minutes, but press didn't even pick it up the story - their lost for sure. Most interesting (I thought I was old enough to see it all, appear to be I have a lot to keep my eyes open). well, heading back to the grind soon. Keyone definitely made my vacation worth a bit more (not 100.00, I am not selling).
    By the way, I just found out why some iphone ladies not interested in KB... you really can not type on the KB is you have long finger nails... that possibly ruled out the fashion statement type... (all the better;-).
    06-04-17 08:35 AM
    No. No one
    How has the delay of the CDMA model not been addressed in some form or fashion?
    06-04-17 08:36 AM
    How has the delay of the CDMA model not been addressed in some form or fashion?
    They announced it won't work on VZW only sprint but no ther news that I know of. I'm too much of a phone geek to ever lock myself down to GSM.
    06-04-17 09:47 AM
    They announced it won't work on VZW only sprint but no ther news that I know of. I'm too much of a phone geek to ever lock myself down to GSM.
    Thought the unlocked variant was said to work on Verizon but NOT Sprint? Sprint's variant is said to release this summer.
    06-04-17 10:30 AM
    You got it backwards, they announced it will work on Verizon but NOT Sprint.
    06-04-17 10:40 AM
    With confirmed preorders by non-refundable deposit guarantees BlackBerry Mobile ships enough devices to each of their partners for sale to those presenting their own unique randomized code to reduce the probability of fraudulent claims about device pick-up. At the very least this would have avoided the out of stock situation because an outlet only received (or ordered) 2 smartphones.
    06-04-17 10:56 AM
    Don't think they ever said it would not work on either Verizon or Sprint.
    06-04-17 11:00 AM
    Ooops. Dupe post. Sorry.
    06-04-17 11:17 AM
    I can tell you. I use a Pixel, my wife the KEYone.
    I really like the KEYone as much or more and I have not used a PKB since before Z10. Besides all the great things about KEYone the only thing better on Pixel is maybe a slightly better and faster camera. Otherwise, KEYone can do anything Pixel can and much more because of PKB shortcuts and it seems just as fast using apps.
    So, I am running Android "O" on my Pixel. How long before the KEYone can do that? Lol.

I get what you're saying though. But the Pixel is different in some other ways on the face of it than just the camera.
    06-04-17 11:20 AM
    The Pre Registration turned out to be pointless.
    Not so. I have done this in the past. BlackBerry then diligently used my registered email address to notify me of "firesale" deals on the Z30, the Passport, etc. Lol.

Really though all joking aside. Yeah they just want your email address is the gist of it. As does everyone, since email is the most cost-effective way of marketing anything to anyone who has demonstrated an interest in ones specific product area.
    06-04-17 11:24 AM
    So, I am running Android "O" on my Pixel. How long before the KEYone can do that? Lol.

I get what you're saying though. But the Pixel is different in some other ways on the face of it than just the camera.
    In developer mode obviously. Common folk don't side load unfinished Operating Systems. But you are right, Pixel before any other Android phone will have the latest greatest Android OS. That is another advantage of Pixel for those that care like us.
    06-04-17 11:25 AM
    Passport was also sold out in a little time. The first batch

< Passport SQW100-1 >
    BlackBerry could market their phones as "Small Batch". Lol.
    FabriciusFab likes this.
    06-04-17 11:36 AM
    In developer mode obviously. Common folk don't side load unfinished Operating Systems. But you are right, Pixel before any other Android phone will have the latest greatest Android OS. That is another advantage of Pixel for those that care like us.
    Yep, but running with no issues (not sideloaded -- Google does the betas OTA to Nexus and Pixel). And Google will have the official out in time for the next Pixel in the Fall. And then on here we will have to see 50,000 "when in the heck is BB Mobile going to get off their xxxxx and release Android O for the KEYone?" threads. Lol.

EDIT: Actually TBH I have always had some issues with apps crashing on my Pixel. FaceBook, the Camera App, and some other stock apps. Since day one. This was the case with Android 7.1. And "O" has not corrected it, nor made it any worse.
    06-04-17 11:39 AM
    The Pre Registration turned out to be pointless.
    Nah. They were probably seeing how many people they could convince into doing it

Initially they thought that nobody would do it since there was more information to be found on CrackBerry. But when people actually did it, they got overwhelmed and the one guy they had handling it couldn't hand write all the names & email addresses so he just gave up and told management nobody pre registered, so they didn't bother with it after that
    hjc73734 likes this.
    06-04-17 07:31 PM
    Closed for review
    06-07-17 08:45 PM
    [WARN]It's past time for the pointless bickering to stop. This thread is here to discuss the "Sold Out" launch, speculate on the reasons for limited availability, etc. Debate the topic, NOT the other members. Skip the personal comments and bickering.[/WARN]
    Paul Sullivan1 likes this.
    06-07-17 08:57 PM

The Pixel doesn't support expandable memory right? I forgot which one of these new Androids didn't, think it was the Pixel. Well, if so, I have 128GB of U3 expanded memory on my KEYone. How long before the Pixel can do that? :-P

Just joking around with you man. They are different phones for different people. :-)
    06-07-17 10:56 PM
    The Pixel doesn't support expandable memory right? I forgot which one of these new Androids didn't, think it was the Pixel. Well, if so, I have 128GB of U3 expanded memory on my KEYone. How long before the Pixel can do that? :-P

Just joking around with you man. They are different phones for different people. :-)
    Lol. My Pixel already has 128GB of internal RAM. And thus needs no more. Wasn't cheap though. Yeah. I might pick up a KEYone once the Verizon variants are freely available.
    06-07-17 11:25 PM
    Lol. My Pixel already has 128GB of internal RAM. And thus needs no more. Wasn't cheap though. Yeah. I might pick up a KEYone once the Verizon variants are freely available.
    Well, it's not RAM. RAM stands for Random Access Memory and is the temporary memory used while something is actively open. Your phone likely has 4GB of RAM. But yes, I know what you mean. But it's not just the capacity, the KEYone has 32GB of internal storage and I have 128GB additional storage on a U3 micro-SD card that is plenty fast so there's no noticeable speed difference between storing in there compared to internal memory. But I actually do like using removable memory because it makes swapping it out or moving to another phone very quick. But that's just my personal preference.
    06-07-17 11:38 PM
    Well, it's not RAM. RAM stands for Random Access Memory and is the temporary memory used while something is actively open. Your phone likely has 4GB of RAM. But yes, I know what you mean. But it's not just the capacity, the KEYone has 32GB of internal storage and I have 128GB additional storage on a U3 micro-SD card that is plenty fast so there's no noticeable speed difference between storing in there compared to internal memory. But I actually do like using removable memory because it makes swapping it out or moving to another phone very quick. But that's just my personal preference.
    Yes. I misspoke. 128GB storage memory. Correct.
    06-08-17 12:07 AM
600 ... 222324