It's looking increasingly like Canadians are going to be carrier-locked, even with some reviews (MobileSyrup) suggesting purchasing an unlocked device will not be possible.

Thanks to every major carrier (Rogers, Bell, Bell MTS, SaskTel and TELUS Business) except Telus (consumer) carrying the phone, and me being a Telus consumer, I am left without any avenue to procure the device, short of importing it from another continent or country, which I have to say is pretty lame. I am trying to give someone my money, for an unlocked OR full-cost device outright, but it seems Canadians are getting one of the worst deals as far as launch countries go, whereas Europe, and America are able to buy outright.

What are, or what have other people been doing? Are you buying unlocked? If so, from where? Anyone using Telus? If so which model KEYone have you purchased, so I can also look into buying that model.

Additionally, has anyone heard contrary to the public information in some reviews that Canadians will in fact be able to buy the device on or after May 31st without a carrier commitment?
    sirk25 likes this.
    05-18-17 10:17 AM
    We suck for phones. The carriers have such an iron grip on the whole thing it's literally impossible to get anything decent.
    pizzawheel and Plazmic Flame like this.
    05-18-17 10:29 AM
    We suck for phones. The carriers have such an iron grip on the whole thing it's literally impossible to get anything decent.
    Buy an unlocked one from the UK if you can. Works great on Rogers network in Canada. They use same LTE bands.
    05-18-17 10:32 AM
    Info changes daily and BlackBerry Mobile seems to like to keep everyone guessing..... where is CBK?

If you want to preorder... buy from Rogers.

Otherwise It's "Officially on-sale beginning May 31 with Bell, Bell MTS, Rogers, SaskTel and TELUS Business." Maybe there will be an unlocked option as PROMISED and they didn't mention it, maybe not.

If not they are still promising USA Unlocked devices at that time.... for pre order. Who knows when May 31 gets here it might be pre-order from SPRINT only with a later date for other carriers in the US and no unlocked options here either.

I expect many are going to just wait and see how this develops.
    05-18-17 10:35 AM
    Just had a chat with TELUS Business:
    So, what are my options as a Canadian?-teluschat.png
    05-18-17 10:39 AM
    Info changes daily and BlackBerry Mobile seems to like to keep everyone guessing..... where is CBK?

Otherwise It's "Officially on-sale beginning May 31 with Bell, Bell MTS, Rogers, SaskTel and TELUS Business." Maybe there will be an unlocked option as PROMISED and they didn't mention it, maybe not.

If not they are still promising USA Unlocked devices at that time.... for pre order. Who knows when May 31 gets here it might be pre-order from SPRINT only with a later date for other carriers in the US and no unlocked options here either.

I agree with this completely if you can be patient for 13 more days.
    05-18-17 10:41 AM

Pretty much what I'm going to do as well. Waiting seems to be the only choice. I'm hesitant to import the device from a different country due to warranty concerns, and my nagging sense of "Why do I have to do even have to do this?".
    05-18-17 10:42 AM
    Just had a chat with TELUS Business:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TelusChat.png 
Views:	684 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	423418
    This would be very interesting. Wonder how much truth there is to a consumer walking in to buy the hardware outright from a retail store. I will certainly be checking this out at the end of the month. Thanks for the information, Empyrean!
    05-18-17 10:43 AM
    Also, passing on some information from Reddit as well. A user there spoke to Telus support this morning:

"Good Morning,

Since most Telus people got pissed off about the consumers not getting the Keyone (Me one of them) I reached out to support team, they have reported that they are getting high demand for consumers to get the Keyone.

The support team has reported it to the higher ups due to demand, and most likely by end of month Telus consumers might be able to get a Keyone."
    toddshillington and Sarek1701 like this.
    05-18-17 10:45 AM
    I feel your pain. As for me, if I cannot buy one on the 31st here is the US, I will get it from the UK. There were posts by others who say it works fine on the AT&T network here. Good luck regardless.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 10:48 AM
    If " Locked " to Rogers, you can have it unlocked by a third party.
    05-18-17 10:53 AM
    Or from Rogers directly, after paying a $50 bill to do so.
    05-18-17 10:54 AM
    Also, passing on some information from Reddit as well. A user there spoke to Telus support this morning:

"Good Morning,

Since most Telus people got pissed off about the consumers not getting the Keyone (Me one of them) I reached out to support team, they have reported that they are getting high demand for consumers to get the Keyone.

The support team has reported it to the higher ups due to demand, and most likely by end of month Telus consumers might be able to get a Keyone."
    Yeah, I think part of the problem here is that technically this is a brand new relationship between TCL and "Robelus" -- historically, TELUS and Rogers have both had pretty decent relationships with BlackBerry proper (the former often having exclusive colour options, i.e. white, and the latter recently getting first dibs on BB devices), however this is BlackBerry Mobile which - to all intents, constructions, and purposes - is a completely different entity operating in an entirely different fashion.

It'll be a while before goodwill is generated between the parties and their devices are fully bought-into by the big carriers.
    05-18-17 10:57 AM
    Or from Rogers directly, after paying a $50 bill to do so.
    Can't recall, but don't you need to be on-contract for ~90 days or something before you're even eligible to pay the $50.00 fee?
    bookworm1959 likes this.
    05-18-17 10:58 AM
    Yes but get it done by third party.
    It will be cheaper also.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 11:06 AM
    Yes but get it done by third party.
    It will be cheaper also.

Posted via CB10
    That is true. In the past I've inquired at Rogers (this was over 5 years ago) and Rogers wouldn't sell me a device if I didn't hold a contract with them. I guess I'd still be out of luck unless I could find someone to buy me the phone, and if the Rogers variant supports Telus' bands.
    05-18-17 11:07 AM
    The problem with buying a locked phone and then unlocking is that you are still "locked" into that carrier's update schedule. Rogers as been abysmal upgrading the Priv. Not for me. I thought Bell and Telus were slightly better. I have a plan at work, that requires me to purchase outright from a Telus business store, to get savings of over $60 per month on my plan. I talked to one store back in February and the sales clerk said they would be carrying the KEYone. I just need to be patient for a few more weeks.
    05-18-17 11:16 AM
    Can't recall, but don't you need to be on-contract for ~90 days or something before you're even eligible to pay the $50.00 fee?
    Only if you got it on a "tab" or "term" -- basically you have to meet one of the criteria below:
    So, what are my options as a Canadian?-rogersterms.png
    Condoleeza likes this.
    05-18-17 11:41 AM
    Only if you got it on a "tab" or "term" -- basically you have to meet one of the criteria below:

Name:	RogersTerms.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	423464
    Oh, nice! Thanks for the clarification. I would still likely do my best to avoid Rogers due to locking myself into their update stream, but this is very useful information for someone I'm sure. Thanks again.
    05-18-17 11:43 AM

Name:	RogersTerms.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	423464
    Still locked to their update schedule. Which, arguably, is one of the most important reasons to buy a phone unlocked.

I'm horribly disappointed in how the KEYone launch is going.
    05-18-17 11:47 AM
    Still locked to their update schedule. Which, arguably, is one of the most important reasons to buy a phone unlocked.

I'm horribly disappointed in how the KEYone launch is going.
    Oh, I'm 100% with you on this! I've got a Rogers PRIV running on Fido and the last security patch is from February 5, 2017 with nothing showing up as a new update. *Grr*
    05-18-17 11:56 AM
    05-18-17 12:00 PM
    I am confused too as a Telus customer. I want to buy it outright but not sure what my options are. Sigh...
    05-18-17 12:09 PM
    Yes but you're still bounded by carrier restrictions when it comes to software updates. That's the difference between unlocked and factory unlocked. There's no point in buying from Rogers and then unlocking if it's just going to be available on your carrier of choice May 31.
    05-18-17 12:13 PM
    I am confused too as a Telus customer. I want to buy it outright but not sure what my options are. Sigh...
    I expect it to be available direct on May 31.
    05-18-17 12:15 PM
76 123 ...