I don't like carrier blackberry phone because they lack of updates. Factory unlock version is way to go for super fast updates!
    This is why I only buy unlocked phones now. Before I would just autoload the update myself but that's stupid in this day and age.
    02-28-17 01:33 AM
    Do you guys think that if AT&T carries it, it's gonna be priced higher than $549?

I think if AT&T carries it, it'll be more than retail? That's just me though.

I think once it's available to ship, someone will come out with a bundle...
    Yes, yes it will be higher because ATT has always priced them higher. Buy it off amazon or blackberrymobile.com when it comes out. This way you will have an unlocked phone and don't have to wait for ATT to give you an update years later.
    akamai07 likes this.
    02-28-17 01:34 AM
    I guess my main reason for asking is that I don't want to buy this phone sight unseen and was wondering if it would appear in retail anywhere in the US. Amazon is great if you know what you are getting, but right now K1 is just a bunch of pictures and reviews. Not how I usually buy smartphones.
    02-28-17 04:26 PM
    Other than AT&T financing making it affordable for people who can't pay the full price right away, putting BlackBerry's on AT&T only destroys the brand: 1. AT&T wanted a special Passport variant, which only created further release delays, 2. AT&T exclusivity delayed customers on other carriers from getting the phones, 3. Slow updates aggravates customers and tarnish BlackBerry's security promise, 4. Reps don't bother to sell the phone, if anything, talk customers out of getting the phone.
    ppeters914 and akamai07 like this.
    02-28-17 05:01 PM
    I guess my main reason for asking is that I don't want to buy this phone sight unseen and was wondering if it would appear in retail anywhere in the US. Amazon is great if you know what you are getting, but right now K1 is just a bunch of pictures and reviews. Not how I usually buy smartphones.
    Fair enough. The Passport was much bigger in person than I had expected and the PRIV's keyboard was much more mushy that I would like (compared to the Q10).
    02-28-17 05:04 PM
    I hope AT&T doesn't sell these in the stores. I've seen their reps in action. All they do is ridicule BlackBerry. They will have a field day pointing out what they perceive as inferior specs. BlackBerry / TCL will be better off not selling to any of the big 4. Buy direct and unlocked if you want one. Just my two cents. If financing is an issue, you can open up a PayPal credit account and pay off the phone in 6 months interest free.
    02-28-17 05:14 PM
    I have AT&T and I'm hoping to get this device through them because I'm on an old contract plan with unlimited internet and don't have to pay monthly fees. I will be getting this on two year contract if AT&T has it. If not I'll wait until the price goes down and then make my purchase. I'm still happy with my Priv, haven't even had it for a year yet, so I don't mind waiting if I have to.
    Just a heads up, if you're going for a contract, make sure you call customer service (611 should do it) and deal with the corporate sales people. They're the only ones who can offer two year contracts anymore. Most in-store employees aren't even aware (or flat out deny) that AT&T still deals in two year contracts.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 05:18 PM
    Not sure how credible this is but ZDnet claims all 4 carriers will have it with pre-orders starting Saturday. Below is the last line of the article.

"The BlackBerry KEYone will be available through all four carriers in the US. Pre-orders begin on Saturday."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.zdnet....e-at-mwc-2017/
    If you look, they walked back on these comments. Also, the Saturday comment makes no sense anyway and never did.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-28-17 05:40 PM
    If there is a demand for the phone, carriers will carry them in store.

It is up to BBMobile to create that demand now.

Personally, I am on AT&T and will NEVER buy a locked phone from them ever again!
    02-28-17 05:49 PM
    If AT&T has it, i probably won't buy one.
    i'm tired of AT&T blocking features on my unlocked phones, defeating the purpose almost entirely.
    They locked out network selection on all three of my BBs somehow, even though they are all ShopBB models.
    02-28-17 07:16 PM
    If you look, they walked back on these comments. Also, the Saturday comment makes no sense anyway and never did.
    Ahh yes they did.
    02-28-17 09:26 PM
    I don't like carrier blackberry phone because they lack of updates. Factory unlock version is way to go for super fast updates!
    T-Mobile has been on top of the updates so far.
    02-28-17 09:58 PM
    If AT&T has it, i probably won't buy one.
    i'm tired of AT&T blocking features on my unlocked phones, defeating the purpose almost entirely.
    They locked out network selection on all three of my BBs somehow, even though they are all ShopBB models.
    Can you fill me in on this a bit? I've also got AT&T and am currently using an unlocked Passport SE. What do I not have access to?

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 10:07 PM
    Not sure how credible this is but ZDnet claims all 4 carriers will have it with pre-orders starting Saturday. Below is the last line of the article.

"The BlackBerry KEYone will be available through all four carriers in the US. Pre-orders begin on Saturday."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.zdnet....e-at-mwc-2017/
    I believe the article quoted them wrong. BlackBerry was specific with me Saturday, that it will be available on all major US carriers, not from. Obviously, they are trying hard to turn that into a from.
    02-28-17 10:41 PM
    I believe the article quoted them wrong. BlackBerry was specific with me Sarurday, that it will be available on all major US carriers, not from. Obviously, they are trying hard to turn that into a from.
    They also clearly stated it would sell unlocked first, before carriers. In the US at least.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-01-17 12:45 AM
    They also clearly stated it would sell unlocked first, before carriers. In the US at least.
    hooray!
    03-01-17 02:12 AM
    If AT&T does carry it, or any other carrier, TCL needs to jump updates PAST the carrier. Too many times carriers add delays to updates. On Android, that will be a death knell.
    itiswhatitisnt likes this.
    03-01-17 03:00 AM
    Can you fill me in on this a bit? I've also got AT&T and am currently using an unlocked Passport SE. What do I not have access to?
    Perhaps by locking out the Network section, it meant that his ShopBB phones were no longer unlocked to use on any carrier and in order to use on any carrier, he needs to go to AT&T and get an unlock code?

As for what you may lack access to: timely OS updates, Wi-Fi Calling
    03-01-17 04:25 AM
    Perhaps by locking out the Network section, it meant that his ShopBB phones were no longer unlocked to use on any carrier and in order to use on any carrier, he needs to go to AT&T and get an unlock code?
    No, it means AT&T blocks access to network selection (2G/3G/LTE) and locks you in on LTE at all times
    03-01-17 04:53 AM
    If AT&T does carry it, or any other carrier, TCL needs to jump updates PAST the carrier. Too many times carriers add delays to updates. On Android, that will be a death knell.
    BlackBerry still controls all the software.
    03-01-17 06:22 AM
    BlackBerry still controls all the software.
    Tell that to my AT&T Passport that has not been updated in over a year....
    itiswhatitisnt likes this.
    03-01-17 06:41 AM
    Tell that to my AT&T Passport that has not been updated in over a year....
    Yours is branded, and at the will of at&t. Ray was talking about unbranded versions, which would be provided updates from BlackBerry Mobile.
    03-01-17 07:17 AM
    Which is the strange part of their announcement....

So far TCL seems to be working from the BlackBerry "playbook" on how not to succeed in the mobile market... really think they have too much faith in BlackBerry's claim that there is a NICHE in enterprise that will come.
    03-01-17 07:24 AM
    Which is the strange part of their announcement....

So far TCL seems to be working from the BlackBerry "playbook" on how not to succeed in the mobile market... really think they have too much faith in BlackBerry's claim that there is a NICHE in enterprise that will come.
    You and I are seeing this differently. They are bringing the phone to market, available on all US carriers, with or without carrier commitment. They would prefer the carriers pick it up, especially for the enterprise market, considering the subsidizing, which would greatly enhance sales.
    03-01-17 07:45 AM
    Yours is branded, and at the will of at&t. Ray was talking about unbranded versions, which would be provided updates from BlackBerry Mobile.
    Yup.. But he was responding to a comment about BB needing to bypass the carriers, and in that regard, BB does not control the software release..

Are we discussing unlocked devices used on AT&T or are we talking about devices sold by AT&T? I thought the discussion in this thread was about AT&T branded devices. I'll never buy one again.. Unlocked for me from here on out!

My PP SE was recently updated but my AT&T one hasn't seen anything in like a year and half..
    BigBadWulf and itiswhatitisnt like this.
    03-01-17 07:55 AM
61 123