So now it's may and most keyone users have or inline getting the April patch. So do you think it's now end of life for the keyone? As I have noticed that the key2 on this forum has started getting the may patch. Only going off the Rogers final thread.
    05-10-19 02:08 AM
    So now it's may and most keyone users have or inline getting the April patch. So do you think it's now end of life for the keyone? As I have noticed that the key2 on this forum has started getting the may patch. Only going off the Rogers final thread.
    It wouldn't be End of Life, it would be End of Development.

We won't know for sure until another couple of weeks go by.
    Last edited by conite; 05-10-19 at 07:26 AM.
    scott Cunningham6 likes this.
    05-10-19 07:12 AM
    Why can cell phone manufactures get away with only providing support for a 2 year period when other Industries must provide support for much longer time periods say 10 or 12 years after that model sold.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    05-10-19 11:15 AM
    Why can cell phone manufactures get away with only providing support for a 2 year period when other Industries must provide support for much longer time periods say 10 or 12 years after that model sold.
    Because technology advances at rapid pace.

The original iPhone (not even capable of 3G) came out in the time frame you specified.

Since then, we have gone to 3G, sunset the 2G network, increased backhaul speeds, launched LTE, launched LTE-A and are now muttering about 5G.

Let's also not forget the accounting treatment of depreciation and amortization.
    05-10-19 11:21 AM
    Because technology advances at rapid pace.

The original iPhone (not even capable of 3G) came out in the time frame you specified.

Since then, we have gone to 3G, sunset the 2G network, increased backhaul speeds, launched LTE, launched LTE-A and are now muttering about 5G.

Let's also not forget the accounting treatment of depreciation and amortization.
    Point taken most people try to hang onto their phone as long as possible considering the price on a new cell phone in the $$$ range. Even a 5 years would be more appropriate than 2 years.
    05-10-19 11:26 AM
    I own a number of electronic devices that got far less than two years of "support". Copiers, Printer, IP Phones, TV, Blue-Ray Player, Sound System....

Heck no even DELL offers much in the way of Firmware updates outside of 3 - 4 years.

As for phones... it's not unusual that for a sub $300 phone to never see an update.

BBMo was very clear up front on their update policy. I do think it's shortsighted if they stick with their minimum of two years... as that won't be good in the eyes of enterprise.

But I agree... 5 years should be the minimum.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-10-19 11:53 AM
    5 years will become the norm eventually. Consumers and companies can speed that along through their purchase decisions. I won't buy another Android new that doesn't explicitly guarantee a minimum of three years of updates.

Right now the mobile industry is reeling from slowing sales, They became addicted to artificially fast refresh rates driven by rapid feature growth and innovation. The new reality is going to look more like cars and televisions and laptops than like hairstyles!
    Crusader03 and FF22 like this.
    05-10-19 12:37 PM
    BBMo was very clear up front on their update policy. I do think it's shortsighted if they stick with their minimum of two years... as that won't be good in the eyes of enterprise.
    I don't see how BBMo can continue charging a premium for devices and only offering 1 major OS update and 24 months of patches when other Android OEM's are now doing 3 major OS updates and at least as many years of security patches. The physical keyboard would only allow them to get away with so much until consumers decide it isn't worth it.
    05-10-19 01:17 PM
    I don't see how BBMo can continue charging a premium for devices and only offering 1 major OS update and 24 months of patches when other Android OEM's are now doing 3 major OS updates and at least as many years of security patches. The physical keyboard would only allow them to get away with so much until consumers decide it isn't worth it.
    Premium OEM's are doing 3 Major OS update and years of security patches... there are still plenty of "others" that don't even offer 1 update. BBMo falls in-between there somewhere...

Maybe they come back and say that was never planned (cost built into) the KEYone, and that only the KEY2 and KEY2 LE were designed with Enterprise Recommended in minds. Going forward they will offer 3 years of updates (as a minimum).

Anyway... still just an "IF".
    05-10-19 01:37 PM
    and over the years they spent time updating and embellishing BBM and the rest wilting... so now they keep proffering HUB betas progressively crippling it... sheesh !!
    05-10-19 04:12 PM
    I do think it's shortsighted if they stick with their minimum of two years... as that won't be good in the eyes of enterprise.
    You keep saying "enterprise" as if BB had any enterprise sales - but they haven't. BB-branded phones haven't been relevant as enterprise-issued phones since 2014 at the latest.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-11-19 02:23 AM
    You keep saying "enterprise" as if BB had any enterprise sales - but they haven't. BB-branded phones haven't been relevant as enterprise-issued phones since 2014 at the latest.
    40% of BBMo device sales are to enterprise.
    05-11-19 08:38 AM
    40% of BBMo device sales are to enterprise.
    That's false. BBMo was quoted a year ago as saying that 40% of the K1 sales were to "business." Business ≠ Enterprise.

You know as well as I do that PR people are very, very good at carefully selecting somewhat vague terms to imply something that isn't really the case but where the implication is helpful to the brand. That's exactly what this is.

I'd strongly bet that those numbers came from a survey of buyers who, among other questions, answered something like "will you use this for personal use, business use, or both?" Anyone answering the second or third would then fall into that 40%. It's a very common PR trick that has some real, if misleading, backing from a survey that can be pointed to.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    05-11-19 08:54 PM
    That's false. BBMo was quoted a year ago as saying that 40% of the K1 sales were to "business." Business ≠ Enterprise.

You know as well as I do that PR people are very, very good at carefully selecting somewhat vague terms to imply something that isn't really the case but where the implication is helpful to the brand. That's exactly what this is.

I'd strongly bet that those numbers came from a survey of buyers who, among other questions, answered something like "will you use this for personal use, business use, or both?" Anyone answering the second or third would then fall into that 40%. It's a very common PR trick that has some real, if misleading, backing from a survey that can be pointed to.
    Always fun to listen to your magic crystal ball power!
    That one that keep predicting that BB is dead and no more PK for us!
    If we had to listen to you, we would never ever see the Key series!

Keep up the good predictions lol
    05-11-19 09:31 PM