VZW sucking doesn't absolve TCL/BB Mobile from failing to support a device they said they would on VZW.

And to those who are bringing up the sorry state of Android Updates overall. Yeah, it's true that a good chunk of devices are also behind the times, but the majority of said devices are no-name budget phones. The Keyone cost $550 MSRP, it should get the appropriate level of support.
    They’re obviously supporting device since a unique monthly security update for VZW exclusive was pushed out when the rest of us got VZW.
    09-19-18 12:09 PM
    They're supporting the device to a minimum of what they're contractually obligated for.

It's still hardly the appropriate level of support, given the price tag, when Nougat was released, and the launch of Android Pie.
    09-19-18 12:15 PM
    They're supporting the device to a minimum of what they're contractually obligated for.

It's still hardly the appropriate level of support, given the price tag, when Nougat was released, and the launch of Android Pie.
    Since Oreo has rolled out to my AT&T carrier locked device, I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that BBMo/TCL is doing it’s part with the large USA carriers. Since the VZW CDMA KEYone is technically factory unlocked, it requires permission from VZW for everything pushed out. Do you think BBMo/TCL spent the money to get certified on the one carrier besides AT&T that matters in the USA, creates a unique security update, but wouldn’t push Oreo instead? That makes no sense. Why do VZW customers not acknowledge the control that VZW exercises over it’s customers? AT&T bends it’s customers over as well. I have AT&T carrier purchased and locked KEYone that doesn’t support WiFi calling. Several reps told me that only carrier devices are supported. When I explained device is carrier purchased, they stuttered and couldn’t explain. It’s the carriers. We’re going backwards with the carriers because the carriers are much larger than any small OEMs. You’re at the carrier whims. Does this impact my decision next time about purchasing BBMo/TCL hardware? Sure. BBMo/TCL fault? No. I can’t blame them in good conscience.
    09-19-18 01:00 PM
    If you make a business deal with the devil, claim you have everything under control to the customer, and then the devil reneges on the deal at the expense of the customer, you don't get to place all the blame on the devil.

Verizon isn't some mysterious unknown, BBMo/TCL isn't some tiny startup, there's no good explanation for why BBMo/TCL should be surprised by whatever is going on now with Verizon.

I feel completely justified in blaming BBMo/TCL because the right to launch a new OS on Verizon's network is something a competent company would get in writing before making the 1-major-OS-update promise to consumers.

Sprint customers are also affected by this for what it's worth.
    09-19-18 01:27 PM
    If you make a business deal with the devil, claim you have everything under control to the customer, and then the devil reneges on the deal at the expense of the customer, you don't get to place all the blame on the devil.

Verizon isn't some mysterious unknown, BBMo/TCL isn't some tiny startup, there's no good explanation for why BBMo/TCL should be surprised by whatever is going on now with Verizon.

I feel completely justified in blaming BBMo/TCL because the right to launch a new OS on Verizon's network is something a competent company would get in writing before making the 1-major-OS-update promise to consumers.

Sprint customers are also affected by this for what it's worth.
    So if you make a deal with someone, then they don't fulfill their end of the deal, it's your fault for making the deal in the first place?
    psychofox13 likes this.
    09-19-18 01:46 PM
    If you promise someone you can do something based on something you can't control, tell them it's under control, when in the end it's completely out of your control, you're at fault for making an irresponsible promise/guarantee.
    09-19-18 02:01 PM
    Lol these threads are hilarious. If early/timely updates are the only reason for owning a device then people have two options - Pixel or iphone. Not sure why everyone gets so worked up.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    09-19-18 03:56 PM
    let's ask Apple to install iOS on Blackberry! Oh wait the price is gonna be triple of current Blackberry device
    09-19-18 04:03 PM
    Lol these threads are hilarious. If early/timely updates are the only reason for owning a device then people have two options - Pixel or iphone. Not sure why everyone gets so worked up.
    ^^^This!!

You just saved me having to write the same thing.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    ray689 and anon(10321802) like this.
    09-19-18 04:29 PM
    It really is that simple.
    09-19-18 05:04 PM
    It’s not crackberry if there ain’t a daily dose of complaining/bashing BB/BBMo
    09-19-18 05:25 PM
    You might notice their marketing speak only mentions monthly patches unless they have to bring up major updates.

BlackBerry will consistently receive monthly Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months. Many smartphones put the organization and user’s data at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates. We are committed to making BlackBerry one of the quickest to deliver security patches. Other mobile device vendors can take weeks or months to deliver security patches, leaving your organization vulnerable and at risk.
    https://blackberrymobile.com/business/

With the Android Enterprise Recommended BlackBerry KEYone and BlackBerry Motion, business users can buy with confidence knowing they’re getting the most safe and secure Android smartphone experience possible. This means these Android powered smartphones meet elevated requirements established and validated by Google, which will include timely security updates (which BlackBerry Mobile provides monthly), business-ready hardware features and at least one major OS update. The BlackBerry KEYone and BlackBerry Motion will also support zero-touch enrollment with the forthcoming Android 8.0 Oreo™ update expected later this spring*.

*Timing and availability of this update will depend on carrier policy and schedule
    https://blackberrymobile.com/get-dow...e-recommended/

Still, the asterisk doesn't say one major update is an if and not a when, so TCL can be pressed on that one.
    09-19-18 05:33 PM
    Here in Argentina, the carrier says that they don't have anything to do with the updates, that they are managed directly by BBMO.
    The big issue is, since BBMO started pushing Oreo in the rest of the world, we are stuck on june patch (ABA693).

So, we have no Oreo, and no more security patches to Nougat.
    09-19-18 06:18 PM
    Here in Argentina, the carrier says that they don't have anything to do with the updates, that they are managed directly by BBMO.
    The big issue is, since BBMO started pushing Oreo in the rest of the world, we are stuck on june patch (ABA693).

The beautiful thing is that customer service reps don't know anything regarding this, don't have access to things like this, and are told to tell you these things to get you off the line as soon as possible.

Depending on whether you device was purchased from a carrier or not, depends on how BBMo / TCL will be updating the device. If it's a carrier-purchased device, then there is definitely carrier control in releasing the update. They have to make sure the update meets their standards, that their apps will work, and that their apps are included. Once everything meets that demand, which can take weeks or months, then the update is staged and awaiting final approval. Even updates to other devices, like Samsung phones, can take precedent over less-popular devices which can force an update to be delayed. There's too many factors that can delay an update when it comes carrier devices, and it's almost always the carrier who delays it.

If it's an unlocked device, then yeah that's on BBMo / TCL.
    09-19-18 06:25 PM
    And BlackBerry can't even update all their KEYone variants to 8.1 Oreo..
    So they borked 12.1 and didn't fix everything? Dang.

/s
    09-19-18 06:52 PM
    This deserves another bump.
    valer466 likes this.
    09-19-18 07:36 PM
    So they borked 12.1 and didn't fix everything? Dang.

/s
    I think that the OP is concerned that after 10 years BlackBerry has only evolved from BBOS-7 to 8.1 (for most phones).
    09-19-18 07:39 PM

Relax.... you’re in Argentina, that’s worth something better than Oreo and updates compared to other places........
    09-19-18 08:46 PM

If it's an unlocked device, then yeah that's on BBMo / TCL.
    Not anymore because additionally it depends on PRD number....
    09-19-18 08:47 PM
    Relax.... you’re in Argentina, that’s worth something better than Oreo and updates compared to other places........
    Meaning what?
    09-19-18 08:50 PM
    Meaning what?
    Beautiful country with great people.........
    09-19-18 08:53 PM
    Beautiful country with great people.........
    But no Oreo
    09-19-18 08:54 PM
    But no Oreo
    Buy me the plane ticket and I’ll trade you my Oreo KEYone
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-19-18 08:55 PM
    VZW sucking doesn't absolve TCL/BB Mobile from failing to support a device they said they would on VZW.
    BBMo fully supports Verizon, but Verizon has CHOSEN not to support BBMo.
    Gajja likes this.
    09-19-18 08:57 PM
    Am i on imore.com
    09-20-18 02:23 AM
62 123