Most newer phones have backplates firmly adhered to the frame using adhesive instead of snaps like the KEYone, although this phone and adhesive don't have the best of histories.
    The back plate and battery seem to be more secured and harder to remove than the screen. You'd think it would be the other way around.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-09-17 11:44 AM
    To bad you didn't shoot video! This would be trending on YouTube
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-09-17 11:48 AM
    I'm just dumbfounded that you actually tried to put out the fire with water. Do your research next time before you play with flammable objects or better yet, just don't do anything. Also, irrespective of the adhesive you must have been seriously bending the battery or caused it to puncture. Repair requires finesse not brute force.
    I agree to a degree, but did not apply much force, there is no stress damage on the chassis
    07-09-17 12:00 PM
    To bad you didn't shoot video! This would be trending on YouTube
    Lol, the was on fire...couldn't exactly taken a video !
    07-09-17 12:01 PM
    haha. yeah, guys, sorry for my joke
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-09-17 06:56 PM
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-09-17 08:50 PM
    Uh, wait, did you just try to put out a chemical fire that starts with water... with water??
    07-09-17 09:58 PM
    This is what I was talking about when people kept implying the backplate was intentionally made removeable to make it easy to replace the battery loll

No manufacturer I know, makes a phone with a non-removeable battery, with a backplate that is easy to remove. That negates one of the benefits of non-removable battery - you make the phone in less pieces/tigther put together.

If you need to replace the battery, a professiona will have the tools to pry open the back - there's no need to make the plate "removeable". But the backplate on the K1 actually comes off when you don't intend for it loll

The consumer is not supposed to replace the battery on their own - even if so, by the time you need to replace it the phone will be so old most people move onto the newer phone.

You don't replace non-removable batteries because if you don't know how to do it, this is what happens. Lucky it didn't explode!

Posted via CB10
    Hey man, not being sarcastic, but I'm honestly curious, tried asking before but didn't get an answer. What does the second L stand for when you type "loll" ? Really, just curiosity. :-P

And also, the phones coming apart when dropped (not the screen of course) is actually a good thing. It dissipates the energy absorbed in the fall. Phones with a completely one-piece design will actually be more likely to shatter the screen when dropped since there's nowhere for the energy to go than the screen. That's why old phones with the removable backs and batteries tend to survive falls better. When those fell and the backplate and battery flew out of the phone, those pieces actually took some of the energy from the impact away from the phone itself.

Too bad now we don't have removable batteries anymore... :-(
    07-09-17 10:04 PM
    Damn. Ive torn a lot of devices down in my lifetime - none have burned on me. I would question the assembly or components.

Who wants to repeat this experiment?
    Water + lithium = fire
    07-09-17 10:05 PM
    Were you expecting your phones to absorb the water from the rice?
    He forgot the "ba dum tss"
    07-09-17 10:08 PM
    This is going to be a major class action against both TCL and BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Um... so one guy dropping a phone with a lithium battery in water, then attempting to take it apart while it's still wet causing the battery to short will lead to a class-action lawsuit?
    07-09-17 10:12 PM
    Haha hilarious. The only thing I got out of this is that they should have used the same glue on the screen. But screen replacements would have been crazy like removing a MacBook pro battery.
    07-09-17 11:54 PM
    The rice thing doesn't work, I had some damp rice once, put it in a draw full of mobile phones, still damp a week later..
    I believe you DID do it correctly with just one slight difference.
    For best results the "damp" device is placed in a bag with "Dry Rice."
    07-10-17 12:28 AM
    I believe you DID do it correctly with just one slight difference.
    For best results the "damp" device is placed in a bag with "Dry Rice."
    So, you can place a damp phone in a bag of dry rice, and expect results, but you can't place damp rice in a draw of Mobil phones and expect the rice to dry out?, I'm on it now, thanks...
    07-10-17 03:18 AM
    So, you can place a damp phone in a bag of dry rice, and expect results, but you can't place damp rice in a draw of Mobil phones and expect the rice to dry out?, I'm on it now, thanks...
    I have this nagging feeling that you don't believe me. Everyone has commented on the "smoky" side of this thread.
    Most would suggest that you simply accept the smoke and be done with it. Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to get into the mirror side and as rants go, this one is extremely painful..
    07-10-17 04:01 AM
    I have this nagging feeling that you don't believe me. Everyone has commented on the "smoky" side of this thread.
    Most would suggest that you simply accept the smoke and be done with it. Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to get into the mirror side and as rants go, this one is extremely painful..
    Go for it big boy...
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    07-10-17 05:58 AM
    "No manufacturer I know, makes a phone with a non-removeable battery, with a backplate that is easy to remove."

Just FYI BLU does.
    Loll

And how much does a BLU device cost?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 06:56 AM
    Hey man, not being sarcastic, but I'm honestly curious, tried asking before but didn't get an answer. What does the second L stand for when you type "loll" ? Really, just curiosity. :-P

And also, the phones coming apart when dropped (not the screen of course) is actually a good thing. It dissipates the energy absorbed in the fall. Phones with a completely one-piece design will actually be more likely to shatter the screen when dropped since there's nowhere for the energy to go than the screen. That's why old phones with the removable backs and batteries tend to survive falls better. When those fell and the backplate and battery flew out of the phone, those pieces actually took some of the energy from the impact away from the phone itself.

Too bad now we don't have removable batteries anymore... :-(
    The second L? It doesn't stand for anything - it's visual ad-lib ha

Yea that's true about the impact dissipation

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 07:05 AM
    Loll

And how much does a BLU device cost?

Posted via CB10
    I got a BLU Vivo 5 for $165 Canadian. Lolz

Sent from my STH100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-10-17 07:27 AM
    Just checked now, the rice is dry..
    07-13-17 01:12 PM
    07-26-17 10:22 AM
    This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time. Why wouldn't you just keep the device off and hope the rice trick works? Why go prying at the battery especially after your initial effort did nothing.

Also why I have carried insurance on all my devices so I don't have to bother with any of this. If I dropped in water I would give rice a go then claim insurance if it didn't work.
    07-26-17 10:39 AM
    WTF!!! No adhesive on the screen and so much on the battery that it bursts into flames just trying to remove it. Who's running this show Huey and Dooey? What a cluster-F. I call BS on "professionals need to repair"

Here's ifixit tearing down the Keyone: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/BlackBe...assembly/92149

Here's what the adhesive looks like inside:

Attachment 426751

It's pretty clear they didn't give a flying F about repairability. Look at that huge rectangle of adhesive. Why not use the removable type like iPhones use with a pull strip? What 10 cents more a phone. Screw that.

Unfortunatly had the OP seen these pics maybe it would have gone differently. I feel bad for him.

One more item on the list of "bad design".
    All that missing adhesive from the Display is under the battery
    07-26-17 11:51 AM
73 123