Hey all, hope you are all well!!

So, I normally only spend £10 on a Sim only contact but the K1 is so amazing I decided to splash out!

Now it has been the best phone I have ever owned so imagine my disappointment when I dropped it in water;

Following procedure I immediately took it out, switched it off, dried it and put it in rice.

I read that it's best to remove the battery, so I took off the back cover and attempted to remove the battery..

Well, it's screwed down with two screws which connect it, I undid these...but the batter is either glued to the phone or is inserted in a way that makes it impossible to take it out, I tried to pry it out with a thin pice of plastic (trim tool) but it bent the tool, I next tried a petal flat strip of metal (metal ruler)...unless I pierced the battery it went up in smoke, did not explode but there was a chain reaction in the batter and it burned for a good 10 mins, even water did not put it out.

Just a heads up for you guys!

Might buy a replacement battery, to see if I can get it to come to life but I am properly gutted!!
    07-08-17 11:09 AM

So, I normally only spend £10 on a Sim only contact but the K1 is so amazing I decided to splash out!

Now it has been the best phone I have ever owned so imagine my disappointment when I dropped it in water;

Following procedure I immediately took it out, switched it off, dried it and put it in rice.

I read that it's best to remove the battery, so I took off the back cover and attempted to remove the battery..

Well, it's screwed down with two screws which connect it, I undid these...but the batter is either glued to the phone or is inserted in a way that makes it impossible to take it out, I tried to pry it out with a thin pice of plastic (trim tool) but it bent the tool, I next tried a petal flat strip of metal (metal ruler)...unless I pierced the battery it went up in smoke, did not explode but there was a chain reaction in the batter and it burned for a good 10 mins, even water did not put it out.

Might buy a replacement battery, to see if I can get it to come to life but I am properly gutted!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...298807c13d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...016944c4a4.jpg
    Wow!
    07-08-17 11:12 AM
    There are no claims of water resistance for this phone, but even if there were stabbing the battery definitely nukes the warranty.
    tickerguy and zephyr613 like this.
    07-08-17 11:17 AM
    There are no claims of water resistance for this phone, but even if there were stabbing the battery definitely nukes the warranty.
    Yup, defo not claiming on warranty, it is what it is, but yeah, the battery is not removable and I don't think I pierced the battery in any way, the trip tool is blunt and designed not to scratch cat interiors and the ruler has round edges...oh well!!
    07-08-17 11:21 AM
    Yup, defo not claiming on warranty, it is what it is, but yeah, the battery is not removable and I don't think I pierced the battery in any way, the trim tool is blunt and designed not to scratch cat interiors and the ruler has round edges...oh well!!
    07-08-17 11:21 AM
    The rice thing doesn't work, I had some damp rice once, put it in a draw full of mobile phones, still damp a week later..
    07-08-17 11:22 AM

Might buy a replacement battery, to see if I can get it to come to life but I am properly gutted!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...298807c13d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...016944c4a4.jpg
    This is what I was talking about when people kept implying the backplate was intentionally made removeable to make it easy to replace the battery loll

No manufacturer I know, makes a phone with a non-removeable battery, with a backplate that is easy to remove. That negates one of the benefits of non-removable battery - you make the phone in less pieces/tigther put together.

If you need to replace the battery, a professiona will have the tools to pry open the back - there's no need to make the plate "removeable". But the backplate on the K1 actually comes off when you don't intend for it loll

The consumer is not supposed to replace the battery on their own - even if so, by the time you need to replace it the phone will be so old most people move onto the newer phone.

You don't replace non-removable batteries because if you don't know how to do it, this is what happens. Lucky it didn't explode!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-17 11:24 AM
    Most newer phones have backplates firmly adhered to the frame using adhesive instead of snaps like the KEYone, although this phone and adhesive don't have the best of histories.
    Wezard likes this.
    07-08-17 11:28 AM

You probably got away lucky.

And NO, WATER will not put out a lithium fire and may exacerbate it.

I think you could have stopped at disconnecting its electrical screws. No need to actually remove it. Yes, they are glued in place. And using a heat gun/hair dryer on a lithium battery may also not be a good idea.

Good luck and fixing it.

And glad you fingers, toes and eyes are still intact.
    07-08-17 11:30 AM
    Most newer phones have backplates firmly adhered to the frame using adhesive instead of snaps like the KEYone, although this phone and adhesive don't have the best of histories.
    Yea exactly loll

It's just weird to me they'd make a phone like this with a removeable plate but even if they did make it so that it facilitates repair - the Z30 and Z10 never had reports of their plates coming off seemingly for no reason loll

True you can just snap it back in place but why should you need to in the first place - it's weird to me. You're not supposed to remove the plate at all in the first place as a consumer.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-17 11:34 AM
    OP, you are lucky that only the phone went up in smoke. Putting down a chemical fire with water usually ends up in disaster. Alkali metals don't mix peacefully with water. Fortunately the lithium in battery are in compound, otherwise as element the battery would have exploded right there.

Rice and silica often do quite good given there is enough room for speedy movement of moisture. Where the gap is narrow, as between the layers of screen, I would suggest a fridge with active air circulation and without vegy or fresh stuff which can provide moisture.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-17 11:40 AM
    The rice thing doesn't work, I had some damp rice once, put it in a draw full of mobile phones, still damp a week later..
    The trick is don't boil the rice.
    FF22 and Carjackd like this.
    07-08-17 11:47 AM
    So, it all goes up in smoke!!-f6c.jpg
    Carjackd likes this.
    07-08-17 12:14 PM
    I feel for you bro. But question? Did you attempt to research the teardown vids on youtube? Seems complicated I worry that I couldn't possibly put back together again!?!?
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 07-09-17 at 04:51 AM.
    07-08-17 12:20 PM
    Damn. Ive torn a lot of devices down in my lifetime - none have burned on me. I would question the assembly or components.

Who wants to repeat this experiment?
    07-08-17 02:05 PM
    Welcome to the magic world of volatile lithium. I am surprised it didn't combust more vigorously. The safety warnings are legitimate.

No idea where to find replacements yet.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-17 02:34 PM
    I've managed to remove the battery from my water damaged K1 (saltwater), but it wasn't easy due to the glue, as you mentioned.
    07-08-17 02:34 PM
    Lol, they glued the battery instead of the screen.
    07-08-17 03:00 PM
    WTF!!! No adhesive on the screen and so much on the battery that it bursts into flames just trying to remove it. Who's running this show Huey and Dooey? What a cluster-F. I call BS on "professionals need to repair"

Here's ifixit tearing down the Keyone: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/BlackBe...assembly/92149

Here's what the adhesive looks like inside:

So, it all goes up in smoke!!-keyone-battery.jpg

It's pretty clear they didn't give a flying F about repairability. Look at that huge rectangle of adhesive. Why not use the removable type like iPhones use with a pull strip? What 10 cents more a phone. Screw that.

Unfortunatly had the OP seen these pics maybe it would have gone differently. I feel bad for him.

One more item on the list of "bad design".
    07-08-17 03:07 PM
    I feel for you bro. But question? Did you attempt to research the breakdown vids on youtube?
    Hey, did not research any breakdown videos, just assumed battery would come out, no idea why it's glued down, first time I've experienced this, currently using a Moto g5, back pops of, battery not glued now lol

Well, it is what it is, dam good phone though, can't blame BB, 95% of ppl don't need to remove back cover or even remove the battery, batteries these days are designed to last for the life cycle of the phone, which is usually 24 months, glueing the battery seems like the cheaper option, we all talk about and rubbish deign choices but TBH every company has to meet a million regs, covering several continents and every decision thought out, calculated tested out etc etc etc

But dam, the battery burned food and hot for a good 10 minutes, was surprised at the power of modern batteries!

Well, I made the post to warn others...hope it helps guys out there!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    07-08-17 05:03 PM
    Hey, did not research any breakdown videos, just assumed battery would come out, no idea why it's glued down, first time I've experienced this, currently using a Moto g5, back pops of, battery not glued now lol

Well, it is what it is, dam good phone though, can't blame BB, 95% of ppl don't need to remove back cover or even remove the battery, batteries these days are designed to last for the life cycle of the phone, which is usually 24 months, glueing the battery seems like the cheaper option, we all talk about and rubbish deign choices but TBH every company has to meet a million regs, covering several continents and every decision is thought out, calculated, tested again and again etc etc etc

We all demand so much, but the phone market is highly competitive and even spending a few pence extra on deign could mean the difference between loss and profit given everything from r & d, marketing, taxes, shipping, maintaining websites, advertising etc etc etc

But dam, the battery burned good and hot for a good 10 minutes, was surprised at the power of modern batteries!

Well, I made the post to warn others...hope it helps guys out there!
    07-08-17 05:07 PM
    I will say that, the phone was only in the water for literally a second, but behind the back cover it was drenched in water, it might we worth it for you guys to remove the back cover abs line it with a really thin piece of tape/rubber just to make it a tad more water proof...
    07-08-17 05:10 PM
    You probably got away lucky.

And NO, WATER will not put out a lithium fire and may exacerbate it.

I think you could have stopped at disconnecting its electrical screws. No need to actually remove it. Yes, they are glued in place. And using a heat gun/hair dryer on a lithium battery may also not be a good idea.

Good luck and fixing it.

And glad you fingers, toes and eyes are still intact.
    Thanks Mate!!
    07-08-17 05:12 PM
    Actually it's not enough to just remove the screws. I remember there being some connectors around the edges of the battery as well when I removed mine. The phone would still turn on after just removing the screws, as far as I can remember...
    07-08-17 05:39 PM
    Removing the battery when wet only applies when you know, the battery is supposed to be removable lol. Glad you didn't blow up though.
    James Nieves likes this.
    07-08-17 06:45 PM
73 123