So after what, 9 months of happy KeyOne ownership, I dropped it last night. Case open, landed perfectly face down on the tarmac.

I tried a few places in Toronto, no one had a replacement screen in stock, so when I went to google further i found one on Amazon and pulled the trigger. Will be with me tomorrow latest.

So, given that I'm reasonably competent and making & maintaining stuff, what are thoughts on whether I should take the kit into a shop and get someone to do it, or have a go myself. The screen that's coming is a complete kit with the LED screen (which seems to be OK) and a few tools.

Cheers

As for how much I love the KeyOne, I think it's great as far as android goes, my Q5 may have been better overall at the time. Better than Z30, Z10 and my old Bold 9900 though.
    05-29-18 12:18 PM
    Replacing displays is usually super easy. Even an 11-year-old can do it. It all comes down to how familiar you are with taking phones apart.

I like this video. You may need to use a heat gun to get the display off, though.
    pizzawheel and FF22 like this.
    05-29-18 12:24 PM
    Based on what I've seen... it's a pretty simple fix. Watch a few video, and see if it's something you want to try.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-29-18 12:25 PM
    Replacing displays is usually super easy. Even an 11-year-old can do it. It all comes down to how familiar you are with taking phones apart.

I like this video. You may need to use a heat gun to get the display off, though.
    This is a much better video than what I found on youtube- and 1/4 the length.

I'd best order a heat gun though.... for $20 it'll make the job get done.
    psychofox13 likes this.
    05-29-18 01:03 PM
    I just changed the screen on the Mrs ketone. it really is a simple process. I needed the heat gun to get the screen off the phone. other than that it's just 4 screws to undo and 2 ribbons to unplug
    bbone99, psychofox13 and FF22 like this.
    05-29-18 03:03 PM
    Took about an hour. Getting the smashed screen off was tough, because it was so smashed it wouldn't come off as one ;piece. Lots of broken glass. Also is must have been one of the post screen-lift ones with extra glue. But, got there.

Getting it back together getting the back on at the camera-trim point was a nightmare and the camera wouldn't focus initially, though it seems OK now. No idea what that was. The tape provided wasnt enough to hold the screen securely and I was getting immediate screen lift, so i used some old superglue gel and managed to get a small bead on, but its still lifting slightly. If I get some new glue I'll have another go at that corner, but til then it works fine and doesn't show to badly in the case.

Thanks for all the advice!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-30-18 05:27 PM