Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry KEYone

Simulate Key2 app shortcut button on the KeyOne perhaps using Tasker?

Asked: Sep 04 2019 | 11:07 am EDT 845 Views 9 Answers View Best Answer

Although I like that convenient app shortcut button on the Key2, I don't want to give up my CTRL key function on the extra shift key on the KeyOne. I still love my KeyOne. Would love to simulate the app shortcut button of the Key2 (works no matter what app you're in, don't have to be on the home screen) on my aging KeyOne.

Best Answer

Sep 04 2019 | 3:40 pm EDT mikeath

1. Install "Buttons ReMapper" from the Play store. Root is not required. There are others but this is the one I use.

2. Open the app and add a shortcut using the "+" icon.

3. Select "combination" . Combination type = combination. First key = (select "other" and then the key you want, I use $). Second key is the one you want to assign to a shortcut.

4. Action = Other, and then "Open app" , select the app you want your shortcut to open. Tap ok to accept.

That's it. I'm sure with a bit of playing around you can simulate long press shortcuts as well, I'm not sure how yet. Screen shots below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulate Key2 app shortcut button on the KeyOne perhaps using Tasker?-47795.jpg  

More Answers

Sep 04 2019 | 1:44 pm EDT mikeath

have you tried the combination function of button re-mapper? I use it on a limited basis on my Key2 - double click q to toggle DND for example.
Sep 04 2019 | 2:19 pm EDT coffee-turtle

have you tried the combination function of button re-mapper? I use it on a limited basis on my Key2 - double click q to toggle DND for example.
Does that work from any app screen you're using?

Thanks.
Sep 04 2019 | 3:19 pm EDT mikeath

Does that work from any app screen you're using?

Thanks.
Just tried it now on Key2 and yes it works. Added benefit that you can do it with one hand as well (on Key2 you need to keep the speed key pressed while pressing the shortcut you want).

I think this is how some people use Nova launcher and still keep keyboard shortcuts.

Good luck :-)
Sep 04 2019 | 3:22 pm EDT coffee-turtle

Just tried it now on Key2 and yes it works. Added benefit that you can do it with one hand as well (on Key2 you need to keep the speed key pressed while pressing the shortcut you want).

I think this is how some people use Nova launcher and still keep keyboard shortcuts.

Good luck :-)
Can you please walk me through the setup steps you used?

I hope I am following you correctly, because if this works, this will answer a long time issue I've had.

Is "Button Remapper" an app?
Sep 05 2019 | 7:38 am EDT coffee-turtle

@mikeath You totally rock! I am going to do this later today! Thank you for taking the time to provide all of this!
Sep 05 2019 | 8:31 am EDT coffee-turtle

1. Install "Buttons ReMapper" from the Play store. Root is not required. There are others but this is the one I use.

2. Open the app and add a shortcut using the "+" icon.

3. Select "combination" . Combination type = combination. First key = (select "other" and then the key you want, I use $). Second key is the one you want to assign to a shortcut.

4. Action = Other, and then "Open app" , select the app you want your shortcut to open. Tap ok to accept.

That's it. I'm sure with a bit of playing around you can simulate long press shortcuts as well, I'm not sure how yet. Screen shots below.
@mikeath You have opened up a new world to me and breathed new life into my KeyOne! I was planning on holding on to this right into 2020 anyway, but now it will even be easier not to be tempted by the Key2 (not that there's anything wrong with that device...just need to save some $$ wherever I can).

Honestly, your response was one of the best I've seen in awhile.

You deserve two cups of ☕ coffee!
Sep 05 2019 | 3:47 pm EDT mikeath

no worries. glad to know the answers for once lol
Sep 07 2019 | 1:09 pm EDT gouger05

I would also recommend an app called FastKey. I use it in combination with Buttons Remapper. I think it was developed specifically for the Keyone.