Does anyone have any real world experience with the signal app?

It's supposed to be a secure point to point communication app that handles your sms/mms, etc.

It is able to replace your sms messenger and seems interesting in that it identifies other signal users and says secure message. If you write others in your contacts that are not signal users, it will say unsecured messages.

Has the ability to import all your sms messages to keep it all together.

Are there any users that can comment? Strengths? Weakness?

Thanks in advance
    12-15-17 12:57 AM
    It does replace your sms app, and has reputably the best security protocols of any messenger (signal to signal user).

I like it, although the UI isn't as nice as whatsapp which uses the same protocols (maybe up for debate). And of course, whatsapp doesn't do sms.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 03:43 AM
    It does replace your sms app, and has reputably the best security protocols of any messenger (signal to signal user).

I like it, although the UI isn't as nice as whatsapp which uses the same protocols (maybe up for debate). And of course, whatsapp doesn't do sms.

Posted via CB10
    Can signal be used on WiFi only? If travelling like whatsapp?
    12-15-17 08:39 AM
    I've been using it for a while now and really like it. I believe it can be used only on WiFi but haven't tested specially. Have a look through their FAQ's on the website, should have an answer there.

It doesn't integrate very well with HUB though, which is a sore point unfortunately...
    12-15-17 08:52 AM
    I've been using it for a while now and really like it. I believe it can be used only on WiFi but haven't tested specially. Have a look through their FAQ's on the website, should have an answer there.

It doesn't integrate very well with HUB though, which is a sore point unfortunately...
    I'm assuming you have updated the app? It seems to integrate really well on my K1 and the hub. It's there just like whatsapp and other similar apps.

Perhaps you can try reloading it?
    12-15-17 08:55 AM
    Not sure, worth checking:
    https://signal.org/

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 09:04 AM
    I've shut off data from my mobile device and kept wifi on. It seems to work but can't send images. Text only.
    12-15-17 09:18 AM
    i have been using it for months very good app
    12-15-17 10:00 AM
    i have been using it for months very good app
    Can you confirm if it can be used strictly on WiFi if travelling?

If I change out my Sim, will it still work?
    12-15-17 10:07 AM
    I'm having issues with read and unread messages shown in HUB vs what the actual status of the message is in Signal. Also, HUB only seems to display the last message received and not sent messages.

I will try reloading as you suggested and see what happens.
    12-15-17 12:18 PM
    I'm assuming you have updated the app? It seems to integrate really well on my K1 and the hub. It's there just like whatsapp and other similar apps.

Perhaps you can try reloading it?
    Tried reloading, no luck. I'm using a PRIV, I wonder if it has anything to do with which version on Android is being used.
    12-15-17 02:06 PM
    Tried reloading, no luck. I'm using a PRIV, I wonder if it has anything to do with which version on Android is being used.
    It's the hardware the hardware is flawed something about the 808 processor
    12-15-17 02:15 PM
    Signal will never work "properly" with the hub because of the way it's set up.

More importantly, i don't want it to work with the hub at all:

Signal keeps its messages in an encrypted folder. However, the hub reads those and stores them in an unencrypted folder, thereby eliminating a point of security.

Using the hub with signal makes signal less secure.

I used signal for a long time. Yes you can use it on wifi only, but only with other signal users.

There is also a desktop client available.

My biggest issue is that it has one annoying bug from the early builds that's never been fixed, and it's that he crashes the recent apps view when swiped away.

If you're someone who never swipes away their apps, it probably won't bother you, but for me, it was super annoying.
    Troy Tiscareno and Event4izon like this.
    12-15-17 04:00 PM
    Signal will never work "properly" with the hub because of the way it's set up.

More importantly, i don't want it to work with the hub at all:

Signal keeps its messages in an encrypted folder. However, the hub reads those and stores them in an unencrypted folder, thereby eliminating a point of security.

Using the hub with signal makes signal less secure.

I used signal for a long time. Yes you can use it on wifi only, but only with other signal users.

There is also a desktop client available.

My biggest issue is that it has one annoying bug from the early builds that's never been fixed, and it's that he crashes the recent apps view when swiped away.

If you're someone who never swipes away their apps, it probably won't bother you, but for me, it was super annoying.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I heard something along these lines before.

It would be nice if BlackBerry could integrate Signal into HUB in a secure way. It seems like a perfect fit and a nice replacement for the mess that BBM has become. They'd have a proper integrated messaging option that would cover SMS as well.
    12-15-17 07:42 PM