Sorry for the long title but I read this article today and im freak out:
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ps-custom-roms
    Mine is a bronze version came frome china with 2 sim card slots. I have to used GMS install apk to install google play and google apps.

I really love this phone and this bronze look, but if it cant run google apps, I have to let it go (

Should I be worry about this or we have some custom rom for my BBB100-5?!
    03-27-18 09:04 AM
    BlackBerry keyone is a certified phone so you wouldn't have to worry.
    nguyendaovietnam likes this.
    03-27-18 09:24 AM
    your device is authorised and certified by Google. That shouldn't scare you that much since BBMo is an OEM partner.
    And you should have your security updates and even an upcoming Oreo update in the coming months.

Those using custom ROMs (we are not concerned as by definition a BBMo's device could NOT run any rom that isn't designed by them) are not using the official and authorised ROM distributed with their devices.
    They are deviating from the manufacturer's path to handle the OS of their devices.

Don't worries here, your device is locked to an AUTHORISED ROM and that is one of the major purpose of all the BB Android Security concept.
    03-27-18 09:37 AM
    You could try and install Micro-G it's a very slimmed down stripped Google Services, Framework and Play Store. If you don't already know GMS, Google and Play Store as well as Google Framework are all horrible battery hogs and notorious for background services running the life out of a battery, Micro-G stops this by being very basic and minimal.
    03-27-18 09:56 AM
    BlackBerry keyone is a certified phone so you wouldn't have to worry.
    I thought my k1 is an uncertified Google phone because it came from China, it not ship with Google service and app and I have to used GMS.apk to install Google app and service.
    So how I can tell the difference between certified and uncertified device come from china if they all arent ship with google app and have to used some kind of trick to install and get google to work?
    03-27-18 12:10 PM
    your device is authorised and certified by Google. That shouldn't scare you that much since BBMo is an OEM partner.
    And you should have your security updates and even an upcoming Oreo update in the coming months.

Those using custom ROMs (we are not concerned as by definition a BBMo's device could NOT run any rom that isn't designed by them) are not using the official and authorised ROM distributed with their devices.
    They are deviating from the manufacturer's path to handle the OS of their devices.

Don't worries here, your device is locked to an AUTHORISED ROM and that is one of the major purpose of all the BB Android Security concept.
    I just dont understand why a google certified device have to cut and block all google app and it take months to find out a way to install google app?
    03-27-18 12:15 PM
    You could try and install Micro-G it's a very slimmed down stripped Google Services, Framework and Play Store. If you don't already know GMS, Google and Play Store as well as Google Framework are all horrible battery hogs and notorious for background services running the life out of a battery, Micro-G stops this by being very basic and minimal.
    I havent heard of micro-g nor seen many result from google search, but if its good, im gonna give it a try.
    03-27-18 12:18 PM
    I havent heard of micro-g nor seen many result from google search, but if its good, im gonna give it a try.
    Here it is, yeah it'd be interesting to see how it goes and works I'm unsure of if ya need root or not though or a device with no trace of Google on it: https://microg.org
    03-27-18 01:15 PM
    From the GmsCore section of the site:

System Requirements

Your Android system needs to support signature spoofing so GmsCore can pretend the existence of the official Play Services to applications calling Google APIs. See the linked page to know about ROM providing out-of-the-box support and what you can do about the other ones

So it seems like it'd be very possible for it to work on unbranded Google keyONE's

The apk downloads are current and up-to-date too.
    03-27-18 01:38 PM
    I thought my k1 is an uncertified Google phone because it came from China, it not ship with Google service and app and I have to used GMS.apk to install Google app and service.
    So how I can tell the difference between certified and uncertified device come from china if they all arent ship with google app and have to used some kind of trick to install and get google to work?
    Google Play Services are prohibited in China and that's why.
    TCL had to ask Google's permission to do so and it obviously did get it.
    China is a special case that Google (as the owner of Android) must handle to get those devices with the Android OS anyway, in the giant chinese market.
    FF22 and nguyendaovietnam like this.
    03-27-18 02:48 PM
    I just dont understand why a google certified device have to cut and block all google app and it take months to find out a way to install google app?
    Because your phone (and mine too btw BB 100-4) was made for China.
    If we decide to use it outside its mother market, we have to use unofficial workarounds to bypass that deliberate restriction.

For my needs, I use: Yalp Store, Aptoide, F-Droid and ApkMirror (and of course the precious Lucky patcher).
    FF22 and nguyendaovietnam like this.
    03-27-18 02:56 PM