There is nothing that DTEK or any other BlackBerry magic can do to protect against flaws in the OS that can be exploited. That's why it's critical updates are pushed as soon as they are available.
    Actually there is.

Most exploits attempt to make changes to system files to gain elevated privileges. Integrity Detection constantly performs checksum at the system level in order to catch such an event.
    10-14-18 07:44 AM
    Actually there is.

Most exploits attempt to make changes to system files to gain elevated privileges. Integrity Detection constantly performs checksum at the system level in order to catch such an event.
    Most but not all; anything that doesn't require modification of protected Android system files (i.e. protocol/firmware level), like KRACK/BlueBorne/BroadPwn, couldn't have been mitigated by DTEK's smoke and mirrors. If anything, TCL's byzantine update system is probably worse for those types of exploits.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    10-14-18 08:30 AM
    This attitude is something to look out for from Google. While they may acknowledge a bug and work on a fix the resolution may be pushed into a release that those affected will never see. I came across this recently with a bug that's open for WearOS where the phone WearOS app doesn't properly report battery usage from the WearOS watch. Google engineering replied the fix would be issued in the next release...meaning a release of WearOS that a particular device may never receive. Thanks Google!

Not sure which devices are being considered for comparison here. A Pixel and Essential device will likely offer greater security. The only benefit the BB offers is the installed DTEK security app. DTEK can't do anything to fix exploits and other bugs that may exist in the OS (and its supporting apps).

Without regular security updates there is little useful security benefit offered by this device vs other (non-Pixel, non-Essential) devices. The fact that BlackBerry Mobile is 100% unresponsive to the lack of actual regular updates and offers no transparency into what the hell is going on right now, just further cements the situation that it is a benefit offered in marketing terms only.

For more information on what the tiny and resource-constrained Essential is doing with regard to updates look at this story:

Essential reaffirms Pixel-like update policy for PH-1 despite rumors of company sale

Also, it's become clear to me (after several BBMobile contacts via the built-in feedback app) that BlackBerry Mobile doesn't put any effort into making sure its devices work properly with specific carriers. Three examples I've come across for an unlocked, OTA Oreo-upgraded, KEYone so far are:

• APN screen after booting
    • VoWiFi settings removed from Phone app
    • native VVM broken (supported by T-Mobile since Marshmallow)

Everything just worked under Nougat. BlackBerry Mobile points fingers at T-Mobile and T-Mobile does the same in reverse. Finding workarounds (which I have) is just not an acceptable solution EVER. That's not what we paid for and certainly isn't the experience that was implied.

This situation is just pathetic. And my phone is only 6 months old. In contrast, I managed to get years of useful, regularly updated, service out of my previous iPhone 6 which I then handed to someone else who continues to use it day in day out (all I had to do was replace the battery for $29).
    The mistake is believing carrier, even T-Mobile, marketing regarding BYOD and related factory unlocked devices. The carriers will always support the devices they sell you and do whatever possible to encourage you to buy carrier sold devices. The whole revamped update system with PRD numbers and version schedules illustrates this. It’s not limited at Android either. I’m beginning to suspect Apple may cooperate with carriers some. I’m watching the upcoming XR and it appears that AT&T may only sell 64GB version.
    10-14-18 09:49 AM
    Most but not all; anything that doesn't require modification of protected Android system files (i.e. protocol/firmware level), like KRACK/BlueBorne/BroadPwn, couldn't have been mitigated by DTEK's smoke and mirrors. If anything, TCL's byzantine update system is probably worse for those types of exploits.
    Sure, but it's not like BBMo is THAT far behind on updates.

Vast majority are within 2 or 3 patches.
    10-14-18 10:49 AM
    Sure, but it's not like BBMo is THAT far behind on updates.

Vast majority are within 2 or 3 patches.
    I have a PRD variant that hasn't seen an update in SIX MONTHS...
    FF22 likes this.
    10-14-18 11:29 AM
    I have a PRD variant that hasn't seen an update in SIX MONTHS...
    "Vast majority"

Pretty much all devices globally, save NA (who I suspect will get Oct), have September.
    10-14-18 11:46 AM
    I have a BBB100-5; PRD-63736-011 will I get the Oreo update?

ABB216 Nougat 7.1.1
    Last edited by salopian77; 10-15-18 at 01:45 PM.
    10-15-18 01:22 PM
    still nada for our bbb100-1 at the office.
    but my samsung g570y is getting Oreo, quite early for it since several websites say it will get Oreo around Jan 2019.
    haven't download it, though.
    10-17-18 10:19 AM
    loyal bb customer but with the supposed monthly update gone and no timeline for Oreo this is becoming challenging to own a bb. if they don't update by end of this year i will switch to other phones and not come back to bb.
    10-18-18 11:40 PM
    loyal bb customer but with the supposed monthly update gone and no timeline for Oreo this is becoming challenging to own a bb. if they don't update by end of this year i will switch to other phones and not come back to bb.
    Most of us have Oreo, both carrier locked and factory unlocked. To answer your question, we need to know your model version and PRD number.
    10-19-18 09:24 AM
    My update showed up this am. I'm now on Oreo Oct patch
    10-19-18 09:27 AM
    Ditto - got 693 last night and Oreo this morning. On PRD -042.
    10-19-18 11:30 AM
    I haven't got Oreo
    10-19-18 02:26 PM
    Ditto - got 693 last night and Oreo this morning. On PRD -042.
    Wow I thought this variant wasn't going to get it until next year. Hopefully it will feel like a whole new device once it is installed like some have stated.
    10-19-18 07:22 PM
    I have a 044 PRD (Hong Kong), and I just received the Oreo update yesterday. Feels like the same old KeyOne, a phone I've been happy with for a year now. I guess all the improvements are under the hood, so to speak.

I hope that all the people eager for the update just take a few deep breaths. The update will not change your life in any measurable way.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-20-18 10:08 AM
40 12