What do most people do?

On my Motion, I set it up at portable so that it was easy to load and off-load photos off it.

On my Moto G3, I did internal so that I could load certain apps on the card (because the phone only comes with a tiny 4GB of space).

On my KeyOne, I'll probably do portable again.

But I wanted to see if there was anything specific I was missing by doing this. I suppose anything I load on the microsd is not secured, but that's ok.
    07-22-19 11:03 PM
    What do most people do?

On my Motion, I set it up at portable so that it was easy to load and off-load photos off it.

On my Moto G3, I did internal so that I could load certain apps on the card (because the phone only comes with a tiny 4GB of space).

On my KeyOne, I'll probably do portable again.

But I wanted to see if there was anything specific I was missing by doing this. I suppose anything I load on the microsd is not secured, but that's ok.
    NOT adoptable - it's a recipe for disaster!
    skilas likes this.
    07-22-19 11:33 PM
    NOT adoptable - it's a recipe for disaster!
    Agreed. Most people don't understand the risks and limitations that come with making a volume that is encrypted to the device and can't be manipulated by external devices without data loss - AND where one bad sector can potentially kill the entire volume.

I strongly recommend "portable."
    skilas likes this.
    07-23-19 07:29 PM
    That's good to hear. I just installed a new 128gb SD card in my KeyOne. Portable is the way to go.
    07-23-19 09:29 PM
    It's too bad Android no longer lets you store app data on the external card. Then you wouldn't loose things when you change phones. I think they should let us take the risk, or not take the risk, depending on what we want.
    07-23-19 11:11 PM
    Agreed. Most people don't understand the risks and limitations that come with making a volume that is encrypted to the device and can't be manipulated by external devices without data loss - AND where one bad sector can potentially kill the entire volume.

I strongly recommend "portable."
    sound advice, years ago I encrypted my SD and dropped the phone it was dead and now the SD card as well.
    07-24-19 02:07 PM
    Yes, if you encrypt your SD card, and the phone dies for any reason, the SD card data is toast as well. This is why ANY and ALL encrypted volumes MUST be regularly backed up off-device, because it really doesn't take much to lose all the data on the device, and there's no way to recover it if that happens, except from your unencrypted backups.

Many people have learned that the hard way, and that's a bad way to learn the lesson.
    07-24-19 09:00 PM
    Yes, if you encrypt your SD card, and the phone dies for any reason, the SD card data is toast as well. This is why ANY and ALL encrypted volumes MUST be regularly backed up off-device, because it really doesn't take much to lose all the data on the device, and there's no way to recover it if that happens, except from your unencrypted backups.

Many people have learned that the hard way, and that's a bad way to learn the lesson.
    What made it worse is I always told people at my company....back up....back up. You guessed it I did not, my sons had a field day with the old man.
    skilas likes this.
    07-25-19 09:03 PM