Thanks
    07-10-17 06:01 AM
    Neither, your actual fingerprint isn't used for authentication. a mathematical value is used that results from using a limited data set from several points on your finger such as the relation of some whorls to another and then applying a math formula to it called a hash.

How many data points that are used and the cryptographic math is of course a closely guarded secret but in the end no your fingerprint as the FBI or other government agencies might have it are not given to BB or Google.
    Neither, your actual fingerprint isn't used for authentication. a mathematical value is used that results from using a limited data set from several points on your finger such as the relation of some whorls to another and then applying a math formula to it called a hash.

How many data points that are used and the cryptographic math is of course a closely guarded secret but in the end no your fingerprint as the FBI or other government agencies might have it are not given to BB or Google.
    anon(8679041), TGR1, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    07-10-17 06:46 AM
    So, the info is stored in the phone lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 07:42 AM
    Yeah, interesting to know that.
    07-10-17 01:20 PM
    The rothschilds have them
    JWW and muindor like this.
    07-10-17 01:22 PM
    First your fingerprint. Then your retinal scan. Now face recognition.

The government man! They are building a database with our information to store, track, and record our every move!

*running to get my tinfoil hat
    anon(8679041) and FF22 like this.
    07-10-17 02:27 PM
    I don't understand what's funny about that?

The hash is stored in a secure element on the phone where the OS and CPU do not have access. All the OS can ask is basically "yes or no, does the digit just presented match one of the registered digits?"
    07-10-17 03:46 PM
    I don't understand what's funny about that?

The hash is stored in a secure element on the phone where the OS and CPU do not have access. All the OS can ask is basically "yes or no, does the digit just presented match one of the registered digits?"
    It was in response to the first answer which was extremely long and complicated. The OP's question needed just a simple answer.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 03:54 PM
    It was in response to the first answer which was extremely long and complicated. The OP's question needed just a simple answer.
    Ah, I see. I thought it was a good explanation, though, because the data stored is actually specific to the device. So there is no way to steal fingerprints from the device since the fingerprint image itself is not stored.
    fankuan and anon(8679041) like this.
    07-10-17 04:00 PM
    [QUOTE=Emaderton3;12956489]It was in response to the first answer which was extremely long and complicated. The OP's question needed just a simple answer.

"Extremely" long and complicated? Seriously lol. The first answer was relevant and interesting.
    anon(8679041) and viv424 like this.
    07-10-17 04:07 PM
    [QUOTE=BriannaJL;12956496]

"Extremely" long and complicated? Seriously lol. The first answer was relevant and interesting.
    My bad then.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 05:02 PM
    yes your actual FP is not in your phone otherwise there would be no need to use your FP again if you reset/restarted the process to add the capability to use your FP to unlock your phone/apps.

Therefore when you reset/restart it the process uses some other data points in your FP, creates a math value from hash, stores it encrypted in Secure Element(IOS) or TrustZone(ARM) and so on.
    07-10-17 05:16 PM
    Also since it's not a fingerprint that's stored, but a hashed value based on your fingerprint, even if by some means somebody gets the hashed value from you phone it cant' be easily transformed back into your fingerprint.

Finding out what dataset generated a hash (if the hashing algorithm is good) can only be done by brute force attack which takes a long long time.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-11-17 04:27 AM
    Also since it's not a fingerprint that's stored, but a hashed value based on your fingerprint, even if by some means somebody gets the hashed value from you phone it cant' be easily transformed back into your fingerprint.

Finding out what dataset generated a hash (if the hashing algorithm is good) can only be done by brute force attack which takes a long long time.
    Just so your point is clear, in this case, "a long, long time" is measured in decades.
    07-11-17 03:07 PM
    @Elephant_Canyon and @Soulstream

Question if I may: if the fingerprint isn't stored and based on a hashed value why is it, when going to register a fingerprint on my D60, the message reads, "your fingerprint may be less secure than a strong pattern or PIN."

Not saying you guys are wrong but trying to understand why this message might be showing. I'm sure a fingerprint is more secure than my picture password and I'd like to move onto the fingerprint as my unlocking method of choice.
    07-16-17 04:40 PM

Question if I may: if the fingerprint isn't stored and based on a hashed value why is it, when going to register a fingerprint on my D60, the message reads, "your fingerprint may be less secure than a strong pattern or PIN."

Not saying you guys are wrong but trying to understand why this message might be showing. I'm sure a fingerprint is more secure than my picture password and I'd like to move onto the fingerprint as my unlocking method of choice.
    Because, theoretically, someone can unlock your phone in your sleep by putting your finger on the sensor.

Another extreme scenario is someone cutting your finger for unlocking your phone.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-16-17 04:43 PM

This might help:
    https://android.stackexchange.com/qu.../135944#135944
    07-16-17 04:43 PM

Another extreme scenario is someone cutting your finger for unlocking your phone.
    Lol

Even if I stuck with a PIN and someone wanted it cutting off my finger would work. I'd sing like a canary
    07-19-17 02:58 PM
    If you are that worried about the nefarious use of your fingerprint to open your device, lock it with the screen lock. If you do your password will need to be entered (of you have one set up, Lol) to unlock it. The fingerprint will not work. There is a shortcut for screen lock provided in the BlackBerry launcher.
    07-19-17 03:30 PM