I heard it has something to do with their VOLTE expansion in the North! I would inquire about the network in your area and you may have to drop to 4G temporarily!
    07-12-17 12:40 PM
    woah... would a patch like this actually work? id use it in NA. never seen anything like this. it doesnt look like it would work?
    07-12-17 12:45 PM
    TCL/BBM hopefully take note: NA is rather different compare to China. It might be common in Asia to buy a patch antenna to glue it on the back of your phone to enhance reception, it is very un-common here. if BBM want to carry BB namd and be a leader in the brand name field, make sure use high conductive materials with excellent clearance between the antenna pattern (no leakage)... especially 3D design style. as I mentioned before, a patch (even it called to boost the signal for dtek60 and k1) is not acceptable... (better have para). Cell Antenna Signal Booster for Blackberry Keyone/DTEK60 Smartphone Cell Phone
    You could be on to something here...but at the same time, hasn't TCL / Alcatel already been making phones for the NA market for quite some time already? You would think they would be well aware of such issues!
    07-12-17 12:54 PM
    This sums it up beautifully. Until BlackBerry lends their expertise to TCL in the way of licensing their telephony patents, the TCL manufactured BlackBerries are going to suffer in that regard.

Posted via CB10
    It's interesting you should mention it, as clearly that has no chance of ever happening. As stated by John Chen himself:

"...there will continue to be BlackBerry-branded devices in the market; when you see our logo it means security, from our class-leading enterprise software to devices secured by BlackBerry software."

It is quite a predicament they created for themselves and TCL, by telling everyone the K1 is the last phone designed by BlackBerry, and handed over to TCL for production. Meanwhile, BlackBerry takes no responsibility for the hardware in the phone, even if they designed it. Lol.
    07-12-17 01:17 PM
    Everyone needs to test this on their own because carrier networks and network coverage is different and dependant upon where you use your device. In my remote area on the end of the earth in Canada, I found that going into >settings >mobile networks >preferred network type and experimenting with changing the default LTE/WCDMA/GSM to other settings - WCDMA/GSM worked for me - moved my reception from 2 bars to 5 bars and greatly improved reception. A different setting may work better in your location. I change it back to the default setting when in larger centres with broader network coverage.

Yes, I shouldn't have to do this and my KEYone should just work everywhere like my Passport did, but this works well enough for me, and there are so many other things I like about the device, that it is worth the little bit of finessing required.
    07-12-17 07:09 PM
    Chicago suburbs on T-Mobile here. While I notice my bars being 1 notch lower than my S8+, I have yet to experience any degradation in call quality or data service. I've never paid much focus to service bars as those can be easily manipulated via software (Android via the framework, iOS via a software update) and I've hit data speeds as high as 90 mbps which is on par with my S8+. Was impressed to see VoLTE working consistent as well!
    07-12-17 07:58 PM
    "You could be on to something here...but at the same time, hasn't TCL / Alcatel already been making phones for the NA market for quite some time already? You would think they would be well aware of such issues!"
    be aware of the issue is easy, to be capable to solve the issue is a entirely different kettle of fish. (para patent is worth something shall we say?). For complex antenna design, isolation, selectivity, Power management, etc. are all important trade offs. (look like dtek 50, 60, even some of the huawei, xiaomi, etc handsets coming from the same neck of the woods, except "designed in CA, USA", all got similar poor reception, selectivity issues... just do a google search... Antenna is not easy, especially, you got LTE, NF, BT, WIFI in to the mix... Asia is not deployed LTE that much... wifi also limited.. look like expertise may need to be developed, that will take time..).
    07-12-17 08:32 PM
    The reception of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ ist not generally weaker. It is on par with the S7 on SOME LTE bands.

Install an app like "LTE Recovery" and check the dbm value.

I have tested 3 KEYᵒⁿᵉ 's and they are all the same.

deeper look at:

On LTE Band 7 the reception is on par with the S7, but not on LTE Band 20, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is about 7 dbm lower. This is the reason why some people complain, and other not.

The real problem starts if you hold the device in your hands (without case) and touch / bridge parts of the metal frame, then the KEYᵒⁿᵉ looses up to 20dbm on LTE Band 20, 9dbm on LTE Band 7 . The results for the other LTE Bands are in-between. Remember: a change of 3dm means double / half reception.

So a User that has a case on and operation on some LTE / 3G bands will have no problems, others on other bands / frequencies WILL have a significant drop in the signal quality.
    stlabrat and Malduin6 like this.
    07-12-17 10:59 PM
    The reception of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ ist not generally weaker. It is on par with the S7 on SOME LTE bands.

deeper look at:

On LTE Band 7 the reception is on par with the S7, but not on LTE Band 20, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is about 7 dbm lower. This is the reason why some people complain, and other not.

The real problem starts if you hold the device in your hands (without case) and touch / bridge parts of the metal frame, then the KEYᵒⁿᵉ looses up to 20dbm on LTE Band 20, 9dbm on LTE Band 7 . The results for the other LTE Bands are in-between. Remember: a change of 3dm means double / half reception.

So a User that has a case on and operation on some LTE / 3G bands will have no problems, others on other bands / frequencies WILL have a significant drop in the signal quality.
    All I know is my KEYone couldn't get reception in most of the factory I work in. That had not been a problem since I had the IPhone 4. If people are hesitant to buy it due to reception issues, purchase it from a reputable place that will allow returns within a certain amount of time. Test it out and see how well it works for you.
    07-12-17 11:32 PM

deeper look at:

'Generally on par ' is beyond meaningless when you also point out reception on certain bands is noticeably weaker...and even if 'holding the phone' (Lol) is supposedly reducing reception by 20dbm on LTE? Lol...that is a monumental fail, if true.
    07-13-17 09:19 AM
    KEYone on Rogers Just North East of Toronto and signal is BRUTAL it's the only thing I don't like about the device. Drops calls like there's no tomorrow if they even come into the device in the first place :S

I just tried disabling the VoLTE so we'll see if that helps at all. Ideally VoLTE and Wifi Calling should be enabled and working, it was on my previous S7 Edge and I had zero issues on the same carrier in the same location.
    07-13-17 09:57 AM
    "You could be on to something here...but at the same time, hasn't TCL / Alcatel already been making phones for the NA market for quite some time already? You would think they would be well aware of such issues!"
    be aware of the issue is easy, to be capable to solve the issue is a entirely different kettle of fish. (para patent is worth something shall we say?). For complex antenna design, isolation, selectivity, Power management, etc. are all important trade offs. (look like dtek 50, 60, even some of the huawei, xiaomi, etc handsets coming from the same neck of the woods, except "designed in CA, USA", all got similar poor reception, selectivity issues... just do a google search... Antenna is not easy, especially, you got LTE, NF, BT, WIFI in to the mix... Asia is not deployed LTE that much... wifi also limited.. look like expertise may need to be developed, that will take time..).
    I can't see how anyone can honesty say whether having a paratek would help or not. Certainly BlackBerry devices in general had excellent reception, but other than the Z30, I have yet to see proof of any other BlackBerry that used it. And for that matter, there are so many other devices out there that have as good (or better) reception, why should anyone even care if a BlackBerry branded device has it? All the BlackBerry logo means now is that BlackBerry secured the device and provided some apps.

People need to understand that as far as hardware is concerned, all BlackBerry is now is a logo.
    07-13-17 10:47 AM
    "People need to understand that as far as hardware is concerned, all BlackBerry is now is a logo.". after K1, might be ture.. with award wining K1 design, I would expect more just secure software for the logo (I am sure the award VP picked up was for the hardware/software... not mention he is VP of hardware - handset). I have high expectation for BB design, not mention the award wining design. (sad the build MFG required a bit improvement... just tells you how important is the MFG process and material selection =glue for example... designer take note: it is very humble experience to find out your suppose "exellent" went down to the dirt because silly thing like glue... unless you can carried down to the detail, testing included - reception for example... unfortunately, majority of them got too much of chip on their shoulder...;-(
    07-13-17 11:48 AM
    "People need to understand that as far as hardware is concerned, all BlackBerry is now is a logo.". after K1, might be ture.. with award wining K1 design, I would expect more just secure software for the logo (I am sure the award VP picked up was for the hardware/software... not mention he is VP of hardware - handset). I have high expectation for BB design, not mention the award wining design. (sad the build MFG required a bit improvement... just tells you how important is the MFG process and material selection =glue for example... designer take note: it is very humble experience to find out your suppose "exellent" went down to the dirt because silly thing like glue... unless you can carried down to the detail, testing included - reception for example... unfortunately, majority of them got too much of chip on their shoulder...;-(
    Well, that is exactly my point...it is NOT BlackBerry's design, not anymore. Whether or not TCL took it from BlackBerry makes no difference. The KeyONE is 100% TCL's phone with BlackBerry's logo on it...not because BlackBerry designed it but because the device is secured by them and has BlackBerry software. That's it.

If anyone wants a BlackBerry designed device, get a PRIV (or older). Even the DTEKs are just re-branded Idols. The era of BlackBerry hardware is over.
    07-13-17 12:08 PM
    Well, that is exactly my point...it is NOT BlackBerry's design, not anymore. Whether or not TCL took it from BlackBerry makes no difference. The KeyONE is 100% TCL's phone with BlackBerry's logo on it...not because BlackBerry designed it but because the device is secured by them and has BlackBerry software. That's it.

If anyone wants a BlackBerry designed device, get a PRIV (or older). Even the DTEKs are just re-branded Idols. The era of BlackBerry hardware is over.
    you completely MISREAD my post. My point is K1 - THE 100% BB design with TCL mfg (means... manufacturing)... Please read again... 100% BB design that won the award... AFTER K1 - it is TCL's show... (what you think if I will buy an unknown chap's design while i am owner of Z30, 9900, 9860 and 9930? I am very picky... come to design...;-). TCL have to earn more credit to get me fork over my money... but for K1, more than willing to do so (only 549... not a penny more).
    "after K1, might be ture.. with award wining K1 design, I would expect more just secure software for the logo (I am sure the award VP picked up was for the hardware/software... not mention he is VP of hardware - handset). I have high expectation for BB design, not mention the award wining design. (sad the build MFG required a bit improvement... just tells you how important is the MFG process and material selection =glue for example... designer take note: it is very humble experience to find out your suppose "exellent" went down to the dirt because silly thing like glue... unless you can carried down to the detail, testing included - reception for example... unfortunately, majority of them got too much of chip on their shoulder...;-("
    07-13-17 06:43 PM
    you completely MISREAD my post. My point is K1 - THE 100% BB design with TCL mfg (means... manufacturing)... Please read again... 100% BB design that won the award... AFTER K1 - it is TCL's show... (what you think if I will buy an unknown chap's design while i am owner of Z30, 9900, 9860 and 9930? I am very picky... come to design...;-). TCL have to earn more credit to get me fork over my money... but for K1, more than willing to do so (only 549... not a penny more).
    "after K1, might be ture.. with award wining K1 design, I would expect more just secure software for the logo (I am sure the award VP picked up was for the hardware/software... not mention he is VP of hardware - handset). I have high expectation for BB design, not mention the award wining design. (sad the build MFG required a bit improvement... just tells you how important is the MFG process and material selection =glue for example... designer take note: it is very humble experience to find out your suppose "exellent" went down to the dirt because silly thing like glue... unless you can carried down to the detail, testing included - reception for example... unfortunately, majority of them got too much of chip on their shoulder...;-("
    Who at BlackBerry ever said it was 100% their design? It was alleged Chen had a K1 prototype on his desk. Who says it was an exact replica of the final version? Nothing but unfounded assumptions. Don't confuse the issue. A BlackBerry logo no longer means designed by BlackBerry. Period.
    07-13-17 07:11 PM
    I guess you didn't know K1 was called mercury? a little reading of BB series of design and name convention might be help... https://crackberry.com/blackberry-me...-attention-ces
    07-13-17 10:07 PM
    Who at BlackBerry ever said it was 100% their design? It was alleged Chen had a K1 prototype on his desk. Who says it was an exact replica of the final version? Nothing but unfounded assumptions. Don't confuse the issue. A BlackBerry logo no longer means designed by BlackBerry. Period.
    The design was leaked well before TCl agreed to form BlackBerry Mobile.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...t-tcl-ces-2017
    07-13-17 10:21 PM
    The design was leaked well before TCl agreed to form BlackBerry Mobile.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...t-tcl-ces-2017
    Fake news. Fact is no one really knows what happened or how much of the design was "finished" when it was handed over to TCL. And by the way, your reference article says BlackBerry was going to manufacture it. Every time they made a statement about this phone, the story changed...whatever it took to get people to believe it is a BlackBerry in the traditional sense of the term.

Credibility = 0
    Last edited by panopticon; 07-14-17 at 08:50 AM.
    07-14-17 08:32 AM
    Thank you... but I am currently in Saudi Arabia. My K1 was shipped from UK and I guess this is one of the first batches of K1 shipments. I feel like I was the only only having a K1 in the area :-) But very disappointed with this phone. If you are inside the building with two bars expect a dropped of calls and the worst thing it took long for this phone to recover coming from dead zones. I had even restarted the phone before it can connect back. I experienced that when I traveled to Asia in the countryside in the last two weeks. horrible experience with K1! Security patch was July 5th but what to do with this timely patches when you cannot connect. I have moved on now after using blackberry for 7 years. I bought a gorgeous Galaxy S8 to use.
    07-14-17 09:13 AM
    The only reception problem I have is with the wifi signal, witch is crap compared to Priv, I already mentioned this in other threads.
    Related to the GSM signal it's my believe that the reason why some have problems while others don't is because of the carrier. Call quality after 1 month of use is almost the same as the Priv.
    At the end of the day it's all about luck and while some had luck and got a perfect phone others didn't.
    07-14-17 09:38 AM
    I have had brilliant reception on Verizon's network. They even turned on HD calling for me.

No complaints except for the software updates schedule.
    07-14-17 10:04 AM
    I can confirm I have this problem as well. Dropped calls, and people telling me they can barely hear me or my voice sounds like it's coming out of a tin can. Really not happy as I make dozens of calls a day for work. Strangely enough, it works on speakerphone pretty well.

So is there any fix? Other than the dropped calls, does the keyone have a microphone issue as well? It seems like there are just endless problems with this phone
    07-14-17 06:14 PM
    Where is everyone located and what networks are you using? That info would be helpful.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 07:07 PM
    GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    wondering if everybody check the bands before you buy from UK or USA?
    07-14-17 07:32 PM
112 12345