I just had an idea if your screen doesn't work. Use two USB-C to USB3.0 OTG plugs, one on the original KeyOne and another on a new KeyOne (go buy one from the store and then return it). Plug in two Logitec Unifying receiver (previously synched to the same mouse/keyboard). Put the two phones side-by-side and now you should be able to use the second KeyOne as surrogate to navigate through the menu items of your original KeyOne (the one without the screen).

Use this technique to access the display mirroring function (if you have a miracast-enabled TV) or maybe to turn on the USB DATA mode by default (if possible) to help recover whatever data you need from the phone.

I'm planning on trying this out this week and will report back. I'll also try to turn off encryption on the microSD card among other things.

Stay tuned.
    Ah rats, Logitech doesn't support pairing to two different receivers. Anyone have any ideas along this line?
    07-11-17 10:08 AM
    What I wanna know is if there's a revision number or some indicator on the box that would identify one of these new units. Let's face it. We all know any retailer or carrier is gonna want to sell the older stock first. Does anyone know?
    I want to buy but won't until I'm sure I can get a corrected build.
    07-11-17 10:28 AM
    I want to buy but won't until I'm sure I can get a corrected build.
    I'd just get one now before they sell out again and if it has a problem you're covered for a year. That's what I'm gonna do. My Priv is toast. Proximity sensor stopped working outta nowhere. I need a new phone. Just gonna hope for the best.
    Tim-ANC and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-11-17 10:43 AM
    Citation please...
    https://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/ceo-blackberry-iphone/

"Balsillie said in his first public remarks since leaving the company in 2012 that he knew BlackBerry couldn’t compete after the iPhone’s introduction in 2007 and after BlackBerry’s buggy touchscreen device called the Storm had a “100 percent return rate.”"

If you read the book Losing the Signal it also writes about how Verizon asked RIM for $500 million to pay for these returns and instead of paying for them, they said they'd just repair them for free when needed loll

Definitely not saying the K1 is like the Storm - just highlighting the fact that the absence of a recall does not mean there is a lack of a manufacturing problem.

LG had a serious bootloop issue that was worse than what's happening with the K1 currently as it pretty much became common knowledge that it was a matter if WHEN not IF your G4 died.

The G6 right now has a major issue with their camera glass cover's cracking for no reason (well we know that's from expansion) and LG has extended their warranty to 2 years for it.

Neither of these devices saw any recalls.

Of course you could do what OnePlus did with their newest phone and say "that's normal" (in regards to their jelly effect issue) loll

Samsung acknowledged 32 battery failure cases but there were over 90 reported cases - that said, they sold how many million of Note 7's lol

Not sure what TCL considers "a small handful" but 70 (and probably to grow in the following months) on crackberry alone seems more than a small handful.

But let's just end this - if you want to believe it's just a small handful of devices with screen failures and that there was no manufacturing problem, that's fine. Maybe you and CBK and everyone else who has a flawless K1 are correct.

I'm just happy TCL has decided to do something about it, whether or not there was an actual adhesive problem or not.

Cheers
    Last edited by evodevo69; 07-11-17 at 12:29 PM.
    BigBadWulf and mrsimon like this.
    07-11-17 10:46 AM
    I'd just get one now before they sell out again and if it has a problem you're covered for a year. That's what I'm gonna do. My Priv is toast. Proximity sensor stopped working outta nowhere. I need a new phone. Just gonna hope for the best.
    A good thought but I don't want to hassle with the return/repair/refund process that doesn't seem to be very smooth. Also both Amazon and Bestbuy are out of stock in the US currently.

My Passport is still soldiering on. Just need to find a skype version that is reliable on it.
    07-11-17 10:51 AM
    I'd just get one now before they sell out again and if it has a problem you're covered for a year.
    To each his own, but that one year of coverage seems inadequate versus the risk. I imagine that the issue will always be with these phones no matter how many pass the drop test in month one. How many threads will we be reading in August 2018 about out-of-warranty failures?
    07-11-17 01:02 PM
    The reason we are all talking about it is that we REALLY want this phone and
    we REALLY want it to be reliable. Yep, 70+ screen lifts on a sigle forum alone is A LOT statistically.

The announcement of a fix will probably push me and others towards getting one sooner than later (when I can physically get my hands on one). I just hope non die-hards taking the plunge won't be turned away for ever with a less than effective device.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    07-12-17 03:35 AM
    TCL is supposed to be a long time experienced phone manufacturer. I'm not impressed. Personally I'm fed up with hype and over priced and poorly built product. I just bought a refurbished BLU for $28 to fulfill my needs for 2-3 Apps I can't get to run on my PPSE. $28 for junk is better then the price of new Priv or now K1. I work hard for my money and have no need to set up a phone, to customize it the way I want and then the high priced phone be a, maybe this one works, maybe this one doesn't. Especially the few whose replacement had issues too. At this point I might buy a K1 after mark downs get to half price. Sell a half azz product and I'll maybe pay half price. After seeing that most phones true cost is under $100 regardless of so called features. And after the Priv I bought was a disaster. I've become a: after its released 1.5 years then I consider buying one. After owning 3 PPOG I didn't hesitate to buy a New PPSE for $400 two months ago.
    07-12-17 04:26 AM
    TCL is supposed to be a long time experienced phone manufacturer. I'm not impressed. Personally I'm fed up with hype and over priced and poorly built product. I just bought a refurbished BLU for $28 to fulfill my needs for 2-3 Apps I can't get to run on my PPSE. $28 for junk is better then the price of new Priv or now K1. I work hard for my money and have no need to set up a phone, to customize it the way I want and then the high priced phone be a, maybe this one works, maybe this one doesn't. Especially the few whose replacement had issues too. At this point I might buy a K1 after mark downs get to half price. Sell a half azz product and I'll maybe pay half price. After seeing that most phones true cost is under $100 regardless of so called features. And after the Priv I bought was a disaster. I've become a: after its released 1.5 years then I consider buying one. After owning 3 PPOG I didn't hesitate to buy a New PPSE for $400 two months ago.
    Having owned a Passport and as a current owner of a KEYone, in my opinion your $400 would have been far better used toward the purchase of a KEYone. Just sayin.
    07-12-17 01:12 PM
    Loll yea you sure did. I remembered you'd always chime in whenever there a poster who posted they had their screens fall out or someone questioning whether to wait or buy now and you'd always be like "had mine for 2 months, dropped it, screen still perfect are you calling me a liar?" haha

All good though - like everyone says, it ain't a problem until it happens to you.

Now the thing that confuses me, is why is it that difficult for you to get a replacement via their warranty announcement? Can't you contact bbmobile directly about it

Posted via CB10
    Just for clarification. Did you write the post that I'd replied to (the quote you've used)?
    Last edited by rx8er; 07-12-17 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
    07-12-17 01:49 PM
    Even if you purchase through third party on Amazon?
    07-12-17 01:59 PM
    Guess what? If you bought your KEYone here in the UK and the screen falls out, don't expect to have it replaced with one of the new, 'problem solved' models by Blackberry, TCL, Alcatel or who ever it is that cares about customers. Expect to be told to wait for an email (which took 3 business, days and not 2 business days to receive in my case) which gives you the Freepost address to send it to, for REPAIR.

Really? Here's a really silly suggestion for Blackberry that will save time ( who cares about time...). When someone phones Blackberry Mobile (UK) because their screen has fallen out, why don't the customer service people just tell you the address as they are logging the details? Why make us wait for an email with the address, like I did for 5 days because I rang on a Saturday and guess what, weekends don't count because they're not business days. So forget about posting your bust KEYone on Monday because you've got to wait for an email!

Then once you've posted it, wait at least 2 more days for it to reach the repair center. Then have no communications from the repair center because they have a terrible reputation for customer service, blah, blah, blah.

I think the KEYone is a great phone.

I don't think the way that this is being handled by Blackberry, TCL, Alcatel warrants me or anyone else to suffer such cr*p service for a £500 phone.
    07-12-17 02:34 PM
    Just for clarification. Did you write the post that I'd replied to (the quote you've used)?
    Yes loll

I mean no harm though - I was paraphrasing.

And no I didn't write the post that you replied to, I was just reading comments from a thread loll

Posted via CB10
    07-12-17 02:55 PM
    Yes loll

I mean no harm though - I was paraphrasing.

And no I didn't write the post that you replied to, I was just reading comments from a thread loll

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for replying. For clarification, I asked because I don't consider what I'd written in that thread to be particularly funny and it's a shame that the person to whom I'd replied didn't even bother to reply to me asking if I was being called a liar, the only folk replying were... anyway.

I was honest in that reply, I asked a straight forward question. All I got back were tough guys, blah,blah.

Now, it appears to me that lol, and haha are taking the urine when no actual joke is apparent.

Best I leave that, at that.

As for your question about sorting problems with my KEYone here in the UK. The simple answer is that the process here is terrible, customer service is terrible, no new replacements being offered is terrible.

The KEYone is a great phone. That said, virtually non existent customer service isn't acceptable to me and as a direct result of just that, I might never buy Blackberry again. I won't buy Sony (personal experience), Apple (far too corporate and control mad) or Samsung (too many phones with/had problems for my liking).

Next phone, maybe Google Pixel if the KEYone saga doesn't get resolved soon...
    07-12-17 03:30 PM
    Guess what? If you bought your KEYone here in the UK and the screen falls out, don't expect to have it replaced with one of the new, 'problem solved' models by Blackberry, TCL, Alcatel or who ever it is that cares about customers. Expect to be told to wait for an email (which took 3 business, days and not 2 business days to receive in my case) which gives you the Freepost address to send it to, for REPAIR.

Really? Here's a really silly suggestion for Blackberry that will save time ( who cares about time...). When someone phones Blackberry Mobile (UK) because their screen has fallen out, why don't the customer service people just tell you the address as they are logging the details? Why make us wait for an email with the address, like I did for 5 days because I rang on a Saturday and guess what, weekends don't count because they're not business days. So forget about posting your bust KEYone on Monday because you've got to wait for an email!

Then once you've posted it, wait at least 2 more days for it to reach the repair center. Then have no communications from the repair center because they have a terrible reputation for customer service, blah, blah, blah.

I think the KEYone is a great phone.

I don't think the way that this is being handled by Blackberry, TCL, Alcatel warrants me or anyone else to suffer such cr*p service for a £500 phone.
    Lol read a few posts up.
    Same thing happened to me. I didn't get any freepost I had to send next day special delivery.
    However my ribbon broke so the phone is unusable.
    I just want it back asap or a new one.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-17 03:47 PM
    Lol read a few posts up.
    Same thing happened to me. I didn't get any freepost I had to send next day special delivery.
    However my ribbon broke so the phone is unusable.
    I just want it back asap or a new one.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear that happened to your Keyone, my ribbon was also damaged. No screen life at all.

I've decided to let my credit card company deal with this. It took 3 days for an email with the correct Freepost address and the repair company has pretty bad customer reviews SBELTDUK. I'm not sending mine for a lengthy repair with a dodgy company. :-)
    Last edited by rx8er; 07-13-17 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
    07-13-17 12:48 PM
    Sorry to hear that happened to your Keyone, my ribbon was also damaged. No screen life at all.

I've decided to let my cradit card company deal with this. It took 3 days for an email with the correct Freepost address and the repair company has pretty bad customer reviews SBELTDUK. I'm not sending mine for a lengthy repair with a dodgy company. :-)
    I had to, even paid for next day postage. Let's see what happens now.
    Been a few days and nothing.
    Credit card cmpany will take even longer if i went through them. Let's see what happens

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 01:13 PM
    I had to, even paid for next day postage. Let's see what happens now.
    Been a few days and nothing.
    Credit card cmpany will take even longer if i went through them. Let's see what happens

Posted via CB10
    I realise that credit card company will take longer but to be honest I don't care about that. I'm just disgusted with how it seems that us here in the UK are being treated. I said a while back in a previous thread, Blackberry or TLC or Alcatel should just do the right thing and supply us all with a new, upgraded KEYone.

In the mean time, I'd rather wait than suffer at the hands of the repair company.

If things don't work out with Blackberry, they'll have lost one customer due to how this is being handled. In no way do I blame the KEYone, it's a great phone.

Let's keep things updated though :-)
    07-13-17 01:30 PM
    Hello Everyone I'm new on this forum (first post). I purchased a Keyone last week from an eBay seller in Ireland (best way to get a good deal on a QWERTY model as I am in France and hate AZERTY). This seller has written on the product description:

About warranty:
    Please note that this is an international version with one year SELLER warranty ( no manufacture warranty).
    Please contact [email protected] for the problem of the item, we will provide you the return details to let you return the item to our repair center in Manchester.

My question is, if the infamous screen lift issue does occur, would it be a good idea to return it to him or just contact BB Mobile (TCL) directly?
    07-13-17 02:00 PM
    Hello Everyone I'm new on this forum (first post). I purchased a Keyone last week from an eBay seller in Ireland (best way to get a good deal on a QWERTY model as I am in France and hate AZERTY). This seller has written on the product description:

About warranty:
    Please note that this is an international version with one year SELLER warranty ( no manufacture warranty).
    Please contact [email protected] for the problem of the item, we will provide you the return details to let you return the item to our repair center in Manchester.

My question is, if the infamous screen lift issue does occur, would it be a good idea to return it to him or just contact BB Mobile (TCL) directly?
    I am not familiar with how TCL handles their warranty, but Blackberry required you be the original owner and have a receipt showing your purchase and the warranty was not transferable. You might want to inquire on TCL's warranty policy first.
    07-13-17 05:27 PM
    I realise that credit card company will take longer but to be honest I don't care about that. I'm just disgusted with how it seems that us here in the UK are being treated. I said a while back in a previous thread, Blackberry or TLC or Alcatel should just do the right thing and supply us all with a new, upgraded KEYone.

In the mean time, I'd rather wait than suffer at the hands of the repair company.

If things don't work out with Blackberry, they'll have lost one customer due to how this is being handled. In no way do I blame the KEYone, it's a great phone.

Let's keep things updated though :-)
    Yeh true. I'd do it aswell but i really can't wait. The placce it's gone for repair is real poor so I'm even more put off.
    I'm still thinking in back of mind I get a new one from them. Keep hoping lol
    They are replacing phones. Just not in the UK. Not sure why we are being treated differently when it was launched here first!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 06:20 PM

About warranty:

Manchester? The repair center is in like Kent somewhere.
    Hmmm. Unless it's going to go to the back streets of bury new road phone shops. Which are not BlackBerry authorised repair centers.
    Unless something I don't know?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 06:24 PM
    Sooo... I guess it does make more sense to contact BB Mobile because even though it says "seller warranty only", the screen lift problem is particular to the KEYone which TCL offers special warranty to ALL of them right? As in an override warranty that applies to all phones provided that the user didn't do something weird to it
    07-14-17 01:54 AM
    Sooo... I guess it does make more sense to contact BB Mobile because even though it says "seller warranty only", the screen lift problem is particular to the KEYone which TCL offers special warranty to ALL of them right? As in an override warranty that applies to all phones provided that the user didn't do something weird to it
    I think you're free to use either channel. Use what's fastest.
    07-14-17 08:04 AM
124 ... 345