I have a KEYᴼᴺᴱ bought NIB from seller not ever used now working fine but screen completely off although cable not damaged (duct tape rescue). purchased July 19, 2017 Swappa... what is TCL doing about this problem at present
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 08-08-18 at 08:36 AM.
    08-08-18 04:11 AM
    Official warranty normally covers that. Not sure in your case, though, since you bought it pre-owned.
    08-08-18 04:59 AM
    It was sealed new. Seller received as unused gift.

Must I clear the phone of all data prior to return? Will I receive the same device back from repair? DTEK reports all is well.

This is an unlocked unbranded model for USA. Given frequent travel, I must have an unbranded device. Will I be assured of getting back a matching model?

Will it be refurbished? If so, will it be sanitized?

How long is the turn-around time?

tia
    08-08-18 08:33 AM
    Official warranty normally covers that. Not sure in your case, though, since you bought it pre-owned.
    Sealed, was gift to seller
    08-08-18 08:37 AM
    Honestly you should just either repair it yourself or take it to a local repair shop and have them do it for cheap
    08-08-18 09:31 AM
    First .. do not try yourself to repair.

Second, you must backup whatever you can .. if the cable breaks it is impossible to see on no screen what is needed for backup

Third, contact the BBService number.
    When my screen fell off they did not ask when and where I purchased the phone. In the US they sent me a brand new phone in a two days, with a return label for the original phone . They asked for a credit card for charge in case the phone was not returned.

The Service contact information by country:
    https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/
    08-08-18 09:39 AM
    You can repair this on your own. It's very easy.

The K1's built prior to August 2017 had no adhesive on the display. You just need to purchase some smartphone display adhesive (3mm double-sided tape) and you can apply the adhesive yourself. You can also take it to a local repair shop which can fix the display in minutes for a very low cost.

You can try to get the phone fixed by TCL/BBMo by contacting them and seeing if they'll service the device. I don't know if they will unless you have the original receipt (when it was a gift to the seller), though.
    08-08-18 10:13 AM
    First .. do not try yourself to repair.

Second, you must backup whatever you can .. if the cable breaks it is impossible to see on no screen what is needed for backup

Third, contact the BBService number.
    When my screen fell off they did not ask when and where I purchased the phone. In the US they sent me a brand new phone in a two days, with a return label for the original phone . They asked for a credit card for charge in case the phone was not returned.

The Service contact information by country:
    https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/
    Thx

How long ago was your experience?

I sent email. They asked for IMEI and addresse/phone. I hope it goes smoothly...

I have a 400gb sdxc so backup is a cinch although I have lots of shortcuts on the homescreens & BlackBerry never made a means to save that...

Is the repair facility secure, or will they fiddle with phone content? Should I wipe it?

Thx
    08-08-18 10:17 AM

The K1's built prior to August 2017 had no adhesive on the display. You just need to purchase some smartphone display adhesive (3mm double-sided tape) and you can apply the adhesive yourself. You can also take it to a local repair shop which can fix the display in minutes for a very low cost.

You can try to get the phone fixed by TCL/BBMo by contacting them and seeing if they'll service the device. I don't know if they will unless you have the original receipt (when it was a gift to the seller), though.
    Seller, at my request, supplied original amazon receipt to me... box was sealed
    08-08-18 10:19 AM
    Seller, at my request, supplied original amazon receipt to me...
    Awesome! Try contacting BBMo. There's a pinned thread with the numbers, or visit their website as linked above.

The only problem with having the manufacturer fix this is that it can take up to 10 days (or more in some cases) for you to get the phone back.
    08-08-18 10:21 AM
    would I then get the same phone back so I won't have to set it up?

has there been any news on backing up home screens?

I have a PRIV to use in the interim (busted USB but I have QI wireless chargers, AC and powerbank qi equipped)
    08-08-18 10:25 AM
    would I then get the same phone back so I won't have to set it up?

has there been any news on backing up home screens?

I have a PRIV to use in the interim (busted USB but I have QI wireless chargers, AC and powerbank qi equipped)
    BBMo may/may not send you the same phone back, but they do wipe devices prior to returning anyway. You cannot backup BBLauncher home screens, unfortunately. You will need to setup the phone again, but during the process you can have it set from a backup. Your apps and some settings will automatically be restored.
    08-08-18 10:31 AM
    as for 3m tape, I have some... does it really work? I so didn't want to get key² in forlorn hope of a Priv² somehow. also, one year is so short a lifespan. my prior phones lasted a lot longer...
    08-08-18 10:32 AM
    oh, yeah... does BlackBerry Mobile warranty their repair work?
    08-08-18 10:39 AM
    as for 3m tape, I have some... does it really work? I so didn't want to get key² in forlorn hope of a Priv² somehow. also, one year is so short a lifespan. my prior phones lasted a lot longer...
    Not 3M tape. 3mm tape. With this phone, you can get away with slightly thinner or thicker tape. Here is 2mm tape specifically for phone repair: http://a.co/hSGkM7g

I also suggest checking out this video by JerryRigEverything: At about 3:20 is where he applied the adhesive tape. You can skip to this point since you don't need to replace the entire display.
    08-08-18 10:39 AM
    I have the phone screen dedicated fixing tape

1mm Wide Double Sided Layer Adhesive Sticky Tape Sticker for Mobile Phone ~ Glue LCD Display and Touch Screen Digitizer Glass ~ HTC HD Mini HD2 Desire Wildfire S EVO 4G 3D Desire Z T-MOBILE G2 Droid Incredible S Mytouch 4g 3g Thunderbolt Sensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GITURA...UvbUpU13252492

The video mostly covered up by his ads...

What's the story with the cable? I assume it's at the bottom since top fell forward and I immediately put it back (was loose all around) and duct taped it... does cable unplug to work on screen?
    08-08-18 10:50 AM
    oh, yeah... does BlackBerry Mobile warranty their repair work?
    I'm not too sure. I want to say yes, but I also doubt they would offer any kind of warranty outside of the original 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
    08-08-18 10:53 AM
    I have the phone screen dedicated fixing tape

1mm Wide Double Sided Layer Adhesive Sticky Tape Sticker for Mobile Phone ~ Glue LCD Display and Touch Screen Digitizer Glass ~ HTC HD Mini HD2 Desire Wildfire S EVO 4G 3D Desire Z T-MOBILE G2 Droid Incredible S Mytouch 4g 3g Thunderbolt Sensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GITURA...UvbUpU13252498

The video mostly covered up by his ads...

What's the story with the cable? I assume it's at the bottom since top fell forward and I immediately put it back (was loose all around) and duct taped it... does cable unplug to work on screen?
    The cable will not detach from the display, and is very brittle. It can be torn which will require the entire display to be replaced. You will have to be careful, unless you remove the back plate (which may break the plastic pins and cause unevenness when reattached) to unplug the cable from the motherboard. This video does show the complete screen replacement process. The ads, sadly, are from YouTube. You may have better luck watching it from the main site.
    08-08-18 10:57 AM
    so I have the tape but it would void the extended warranty if I fail...

dilemma
    08-08-18 11:01 AM
    so I have the tape but it would void the extended warranty if I fail...

dilemma
    If the cable tears, tell BBMo the display fell out and the cable tore. :P

There is no extended warranty. BBMo is honoring a manufacturing defect, so far, outside of the original 1 year warranty.
    08-08-18 11:13 AM

It's only the KEYones built before July 10th 2017 that have the issue.
    08-09-18 04:29 AM
    via *#2886# manufactured 20170601
    08-09-18 04:46 AM
    via *#2886# manufactured 20170601
    So which option you gonna take?
    08-09-18 05:05 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile contacted via email but it was routed to Luxembourg center now being sent on to USA center so I get the correct model.
    08-09-18 05:15 AM
    It's only the KEYones built before July 10th 2017 that have the issue.
    So is my "prior to August 2017" wrong? :P
    08-09-18 10:10 AM
31 12